XPO | dot hours rule !

Hey Brutus this is the way I understand the 16hr exception. I dont really agree with it. There are many gray areas. But because we start and finish at the same location that makes it ok........I run as many miles in a night as alot of otr drivers but its ok to work us 16hrs if we meet this criteria.......Safety First.

(o)(1) The driver has returned to the driver's normal work reporting location and the carrier released the driver from duty at that location for the previous five duty tours the driver has worked;

(o)(2) The driver has returned to the normal work reporting location and the carrier releases the driver from duty within 16 hours after coming on duty following 10 consecutive hours off duty; and

(o)(3) The driver has not taken this exemption within the previous 6 consecutive days, except when the driver has begun a new 7- or 8- consecutive day period with the beginning of any off-duty period of 34 or more consecutive hours as allowed by §395.3(c).

Our barn gave us copies of this which I carry with me, Just in case...

what about when you log-off? The way I understand it it counts against your 14(16) but not your 60...

I called MDOT this morning was told when you punch-in your 14 hours begins and ends after 14 hours. Logging off doesn't count towards your 14 only your 60...:nono: Use caution here fellow Brothers...

I called MDOT this morning was told when you punch-in your 14 hours begins and ends after 14 hours. Logging off doesn't count towards your 14 only your 60...:nono: Use caution here fellow Brothers...
i was told by a Mich driver.
that talked to MDOT. that the time you log off does go towards your 14 hr day.you only have 14 hrs Punch to punch breaks and lunch can not extend that time.
example
you clock in at 19:30 you have until 9:30 am to be off the clock (if you don't use the 16 rule).
now using the time frame above if you log a lunch or a break you still need to be off the clock by 9:30 am

The key is that you cannot drive after being on the clock for 14 hours punch to punch.
You can do dock work. The rules only apply to driving.

Once every reset you can work 16 hours punch to punch as long as you dont drive in excess of 11 hours and dont drive after 60 hours.

Think I got that correct.

Now here is my question, if linehaul says to do a via but you know that you will run out of hrs and over your 14, that u will have to be pickedup,since you will not be relieved of duty at your home domicile but on the road somewhere,CAN THEY FORCE YOU TO DO THE VIA:TR10driving03:

Now here is my question, if linehaul says to do a via but you know that you will run out of hrs and over your 14, that u will have to be pickedup,since you will not be relieved of duty at your home domicile but on the road somewhere,CAN THEY FORCE YOU TO DO THE VIA:TR10driving03:
Yes they can. You are a at will employee and will do what they say when they say it. You can be paid for the time you wait for a pick-up.

Yes they can. You are a at will employee and will do what they say when they say it. You can be paid for the time you wait for a pick-up.

I interperet the dispach as illegal. - Especialy if adverse conditions are known. But do it anyways. Take names and report.

You still have to be back to your domicile by the 16th hour. NO EXCEPTIONS. If you know when you are up against your 14 that you cannot make it back to your domicile you need to start looking for a motel.Once you go over your 14 and cannot make it back you and the company are in violation.

all I can no is fedex freight told us if we have to be extended we have to call central to do it and the reason had better be because of traffic or weather

all I can no is fedex freight told us if we have to be extended we have to call central to do it and the reason had better be because of traffic or weather

In a nutshell, that's the way I understand it too.

Nowhere do I see breakdown or unplanned freight or late freight or rush hour as a reason to drive past 14 hours.

She's On A Mission..

As a road driver you can be on the clock for 16hrs once a week as long as you are not over your 60/70 hrs and are not over your 11 driving for that day. Also you have had to return to your home domicle for the last week every day. No lay downs anywhere but home.

Hi JJ..my company runs the 70/8; does the 16 hr rule void out to back to the 14 hr rule if you cross a state line during your return to your domicile?

I have read and read again the regulations. Nowere does it say "have a good reason" of if you get approval from dispatch. All it says is you may use the exception if you return.......

FedX has a company policy. Big deal. Con way has a million. Has nothing to do with regulations.

You dont like the regulations so you read in something that is not there.

14 or 16?

has anybody read the book and found out where it says you may run over 14 hours? i havnt i believe we our told to break the law ! nor does it say we can run up to 16 hours , my service center mgr couldnt find the place anywhere it says we our allowed to run 14 one day aweek ..as a road driver on normal road with out any adverse conditions

you can run over 14 hrs if your regular daily run brings back to your home domcile.this rule can only be used once in 7 days. it only applies to what we call turn drivers. if you have laided over within seven days no go this rule does't extend your drive time.