XPO | dot physicals

countryboy

TB Lurker
Credits
i have had my dot physicals for the past 8 maybe 10 years done at my doctors, he is my family doctor and knows my family history, does con-ways doctor, i think not. i am now told that our dot physicals have to be performed by con-ways clinics, i have always paid for it so should be able to go where i choose. its my physical not theres, my doctor his certified for this type of physical so it should be my decision and not theres.

i have had my dot physicals for the past 8 maybe 10 years done at my doctors, he is my family doctor and knows my family history, does con-ways doctor, i think not. i am now told that our dot physicals have to be performed by con-ways clinics, i have always paid for it so should be able to go where i choose. its my physical not theres, my doctor his certified for this type of physical so it should be my decision and not theres.

I believe if you pay for it, you can go where ever you'd like..I have never told someone they have to go to the company clinic..

Those laws are changing because of personal/family doctors allowing disqualifying conditions to pass. Their interests are conflicted.

Fed or state law...haven't heard anything on it out here...California is generally at the forefront of screwing people..
I don't know. Just passing on what my last DOT doc told me. They will also train them more with additional continuing credits and there will be more stringent initial qualifications.

Also, as reported here before, there will be much more focus on obesity and potential sleep disorders.

Running line haul at Conway is a sleep disorder.

Time to put my driver on a diet... I'm gonna love this!

In the past my husband has paid to go to his own doctor but since he doesn't visit often it's just the same (almost) as his going to a new doctor.

Doctors, even if they have known you for 20 years, should only report the truth. If you are a liability, you should not be steering a tractor with two pups of freight!

Company DOT physicals are very basic and many times performed by a physician's assistant. There's no way they should be relied on for anything other than getting a card to keep in your wallet.
You should be seeing your own doctor on a regular basis to do a "real" physical.
The company's paying for the quickie physical, so go ahead and do it, then make an appointment at a real doctor.

was told by human resorces that its company policy to have it done at the conway clinic, even if you want to pay for it and go to your own dr. they wont except it, just got home from the conway selected clinic.

for 25yrs ive never heard of anyone going to thier personal doctor for a dot physical...always thought the physical had to be done by a company doctor.Once knew a driver who couldnt pass because of high blood pressure went to his doctor and he said he was ok..but the clinic still wouldnt pass him and he couldnt drive till the company doctor passed him..

my lasr 1.i failed the first day sugar too high in urine. this was all they checked,went back the next day checked urine again,everything o.k. they checked nothing else.... filled out my card and i was out the door....

I totally agree with that. A true reading of BP is several readings that are averaged out. You may have 10 readings of normal but on day of physical be really upset or having some stress from a work/family situation and the BP be high and the doctor diagnoses it as HBP.

I'd rather my husband has a full physical including blood tests at his own physician's office than the once over that most get in these physicals at Qwik Klinic. Not to deride the good doctors that some of these places have but for the most part the workers are rushed through.

Maybe this might help..
Part 391: Qualifications of drivers and longer combination vehicle (LCV) driver instructors

Also say you have High Blood Pressure,and you have a One Year Card instead of the normal Two Year Card. You must be monitored and under treatment for the HBP. So it only is sensible that the doctor that is monitoring/treating you does the DOT Physical.

These physicals are not for the benefit of the driver.

I would think that a person that is willing to pay for his own physical is still able to do so.......

And, I would hazard a guess that those who are resistant to submit to the rudimentary DOT physical at the company chosen clinic has something going on that they would prefer to hide.- Hence the new laws.