XPO | Double standard?

Two wrongs don't make a right. There were (still are?) two sets of rules when I worked at Conway...one set for punk FOS's and company 'henchmen' and another for the DSR's. I had a 'peculiar' situation happen to me one time. I saw a rather 'flashy' BMW near one of my stops one day. About an hour later saw the SAME BMW at ANOTHER one of my stops. Hmmmmm.
In this day and age the proper way to handle that is with a call to the police and sit in a safe place until they arrive and investigate.

In this day and age the proper way to handle that is with a call to the police and sit in a safe place until they arrive and investigate.
Had this happen once. Car followed me for 20 miles. Dropped down to 50, wouldn't pass. Got off on two off-ramps, stayed with me. Called 911. Had a sensitive shipment on board by coincidence. Dispatcher told me do not stop, hwy patrol enroute. Three cars and two border patrol trucks boxed him in. Turned out to be an elderly fella and his wife. He was afraid to drive at night, felt safer following a big truck.

Years ago, my old boss was having someone follow us around while peddling. Once we had proven that we were getting followed, we warned our boss that the next time we caught them following us, we were going to have a little fun with it, and hopefully it would end up on the evening news. The threat of a 911 call put a stop to it.
:1036316054:

Joe ...not trying to start anything here, but notice that I posted," All licensed drivers to be subject to no notice drug screening SOMEHOW." I'm at a loss as to the wherewithal on how this could be done. Maybe to your point it couldn't and you're probably right. I'm sure if the government wanted it to happen , they'd find a way . My whole point is the issue of fairness and equity. What's good for us CDL guys should be equally as good for everyone else. Is there ever going be a law that allows the DOT to pull people over randomly to pee in a bottle? No...of course not. Certain watchdog groups wouldn't stand for such government intrusion in to their private lives. Just using hyperbolic language to show the inequity of how it is in today's world.

And to your point.. you're spot on. Even if everyone was susceptible to drug screening that would result in a loss of their right to drive if they tested possitive... there'd still be distracted driving by those engaged in using their electronic devices while driving. Everybody loves to roll the dice and take chances.
Probably a high percentage of those driving around distracted, could not pass the pee test, and have no job.... If you look in the help wanted adds, many state must pass physical and drug screen for all kinds of jobs. My favorite one is at a staffing agency near where I live where we go to get our fingerprints. The sign at the front door tells anyone coming there looking for work," If you cannot pass a drug, alcohol screening, please do not waste our time and yours by filling out any paperwork."

Yeah...I just thought it was oddly coincidental that he showed up at two of my stops in about an hour. Business-wise, the stops were not similar. Well-dressed fellow; crisp-pressed shirt, tie, and dark glasses on a rainy day. Go figure.

Probably a high percentage of those driving around distracted, could not pass the pee test, and have no job.... If you look in the help wanted adds, many state must pass physical and drug screen for all kinds of jobs. My favorite one is at a staffing agency near where I live where we go to get our fingerprints. The sign at the front door tells anyone coming there looking for work," If you cannot pass a drug, alcohol screening, please do not waste our time and yours by filling out any paperwork."
You mean like the guy working out of his briefcase, or the salesman on call? Is that the majority you speak of? Or is it the soccer mom rushing her kids to school because they slept late?

Had this happen once. Car followed me for 20 miles. Dropped down to 50, wouldn't pass. Got off on two off-ramps, stayed with me. Called 911. Had a sensitive shipment on board by coincidence. Dispatcher told me do not stop, hwy patrol enroute. Three cars and two border patrol trucks boxed him in. Turned out to be an elderly fella and his wife. He was afraid to drive at night, felt safer following a big truck.
That's a great story, UN! You played it right...good work!

You mean like the guy working out of his briefcase, or the salesman on call? Is that the majority you speak of? Or is it the soccer mom rushing her kids to school because they slept late?
No I mean the people driving around texting who don't have a job, nor want one, and cannot pass a drug test, but always seem to have money for a cell phone, or get one compliments of the working people.

And how big is the large percentage?
I have just finished contacting the labor dept, unemployment service, workers comp divisions, and criminal background agencies in all 50 states via email, and when I receive all the data from them to calculate the actual percentage from each state, I should be able to give you an answer.

I have just finished contacting the labor dept, unemployment service, workers comp divisions, and criminal background agencies in all 50 states via email, and when I receive all the data from them to calculate the actual percentage from each state, I should be able to give you an answer.
Don't forget the dmv, wouldn't want your data to be inaccurate.

This thread took a weird turn.

Double standard in this situation is maddening. If I touch my phone while driving I get safety points, a coaching lesson, threats of fines and tickets and possible loss of employment. This ***** used his phone behind the wheel of a company vehicle and got nothing ? That's bull ::shit:: .

This thread took a weird turn.

Double standard in this situation is maddening. If I touch my phone while driving I get safety points, a coaching lesson, threats of fines and tickets and possible loss of employment. This ***** used his phone behind the wheel of a company vehicle and got nothing ? That's bull :::shit::: .

Don't take this the wrong way, but whatcha gonna do about it? The bosses always win around xpo/conway.. Hell I still call us con-way.

Don't take this the wrong way, but whatcha gonna do about it? The bosses always win around xpo/conway.. Hell I still call us con-way.

To soon to jump. Although many already have. I ain't got kids or ::shit::. Just here for the paycheck. We will see what happens as we continue to lose freight and customers. Just how slow are we going to get ? Hard to say. We hope for better days. We hope for less shady " con-style " management. We hope for a change in culture. That XPO can bring success and respect to our workplace. But sometimes all that hope is just a pipe dream and you gotta move on. To many variables for a simple truck driver to compute.

I'll hold that wheel until it doesn't seem right any more. There are plenty of wheels out there. And that guy that feels so good about himself taking that picture is closer to the soup kitchen than I am. Them college boys need to be careful about how far they get from that freight. Can you imagine how much better a story this would have been if that little bee-yotch had flagged the driver down and walked back to the trailer with him and pulled the door closed ? Looked him in the eye and shook his hand like a man ? Said something to the effect of thank goodness I was here ? As if they were on the same team working towards the same goal ? Can you imagine that ?

Can you imagine how much better a story this would have been if that little bee-yotch had flagged the driver down and walked back to the trailer with him and pulled the door closed ? Looked him in the eye and shook his hand like a man ? Said something to the effect of thank goodness I was here ? As if they were on the same team working towards the same goal ? Can you imagine that ?

That's the type of company I want to work for! Actually, thats what I thought I was hiring into when I first came to Con-way until my eyes were opened and it's everyone for themselves.

That's the type of company I want to work for! Actually, thats what I thought I was hiring into when I first came to Con-way until my eyes were opened and it's everyone for themselves.

I read the comments more than I make statements! This was that kind of company in the early 80's!!!!!!! LEADERSHIP HAD A GENUINE SPIRIT OF GRATITUDE!!!!

That's cause we still are Conway in spirit and practice. XPO never had trucking assets nor people running an LTL before acquiring CNW.
And it sure showed it ugly head when they took over. These hot shot XPO people sure screwed stuff up and now we have to fix it.

Is company policy consistent in prohibiting the use of electronic devices with respect to non-commercial vehicles? For example, salespersons and managers. My curiousity is from recently receiving a letter of instruction for not securing the trailer door properly. It was observed by a terminal manager from a nearby location. He then forwarded the pictures he took which showed only the latch and another of the trailer number. They were taken quite close and it was not evident the vehicle was on any public road. He stated in an e-mail that he observed this while driving and then took the photos. I don't expect a revocation of the letter, I'm just bothered by the way it was handled. Is this manager in violation of policy for taking photos while operating a company car while driving?
Whaa :crybaby::crybaby:
Just do your job they way they want you to do it and quite crying.
Whaaa the boss was following me... I wish they did it more often then maybe these driver that are out f-ing off will get let go
I remember back in my days at TNT Red Star the shop Stewarts would tell you when we got slow that management would be out look for driver f-ing off. We had a few get fired for stealing time while I was there and there was nothing the union could do. Stealing time is just as bad as stealing product.
There's one driver at my barn that has sat in his truck while it regenered, on more than one occasion, that's over 20min, was caught by a shipper sleeping at the shippers desk, he said snoring loudly. Shipper have also told other drivers "we are glad its not ____ ____ he just screws around and talks and talks we like that you get your stuff and leave". Shipper have also call and said not to send this drivers to me for Del or pickups. All this is one drive and all this has been brought to management attention and as far ad I know nothing has been done. So yes I wish they would follow some of these people around because the guy the work hard and on a rare time get held up are questioned why it took so long. All it would take is firing 1 or 2 and all the other screw off would snap back in line