XPO | Double standards.... backbelts

SickandTired

TB Lurker
Credits
I get a little sick of supervisors pushing the backbelt issues. If drivers have to wear them, then sector supervisors should have to wear them. They all open and close dock doors, they all pull dock plates, and they all open and close trailers doors. I would think these duties would be the main cause of back injuries. But when you mention it to a superviser, that is stressing the issue that the drivers put them on, that they should be wearing a back belt, they say they dont have to. I think their wrong, if safety is a concern then everyone who lifts anything should have to wear them, not just drivers. I mentioned this to a FOS at a reship and was told I was right, that sector supervisors should have to wear them too. But he hasnt pushed the issue at all. But he's still pushing the issue daily, that drivers wear them. Double Standards.

I get a little sick of supervisors pushing the backbelt issues. If drivers have to wear them, then sector supervisors should have to wear them. They all open and close dock doors, they all pull dock plates, and they all open and close trailers doors. I would think these duties would be the main cause of back injuries. But when you mention it to a superviser, that is stressing the issue that the drivers put them on, that they should be wearing a back belt, they say they dont have to. I think their wrong, if safety is a concern then everyone who lifts anything should have to wear them, not just drivers. I mentioned this to a FOS at a reship and was told I was right, that sector supervisors should have to wear them too. But he hasnt pushed the issue at all. But he's still pushing the issue daily, that drivers wear them. Double Standards.

That is a very good point!:1036316054:
It also needs to be re-clarified throughout Con-way land.
The FOS's I've seen that bend and squat while opening and closing trailer doors or while helping a loader with dunnage do not even wear them.
If they don't do those duties than wearing a backbelt is null and void...which is hard to believe.

Greenie for you!

All Dock FOS' are required to wear them on my dock...no arguments...they like to jump on forks and help and do all the other aforementioned things on this thread. So I told them to lead by example...and if I caught them doing anything normally requiring a backbelt without one, they could plan on the same consequences. One for all, all for one, and so on..Gooses, ganders, etc..

Let me see......Terminal Manager? :smilie_132: I hadn't checked your profile until now

All Dock FOS' are required to wear them on my dock...no arguments...they like to jump on forks and help and do all the other aforementioned things on this thread. So I told them to lead by example...and if I caught them doing anything normally requiring a backbelt without one, they could plan on the same consequences. One for all, all for one, and so on..Gooses, ganders, etc..

uh, huh...Hi there...However, I worked for terminal mgrs at other companies years ago...I kind of like the "SCM" thing...sounds a little more upbeat...Terminal sounds so, how do I put this...well, final...like there is a deadline drawing near that I need to know about. I'd rather not know.

Pardonnez-moi, didn' ; moyen de t d'être tellement vers le bas et dehors retentissant. Vous ressemblez à d'un bon directeur pour travailler pour. :1036316054: (Pardon me, didn't mean to be so down and out sounding. You sound like a good manager to work for.)

SCM it'll be! :smilie_132:

Oh and it's always been Terminal Manager at my husband's workplace. I guess because they've been through so many?? So each are terminal.....

Thanks for translating...I was toast until you switched to english, which was the only language I learned in school, minus one year of spanish. as far as french goes, Eiffel Tower is about as far as I can go...

I speak Spanish also: Taco Bell, Libre Nachos LMAO!! No, I don't speak French I used a translator to do the work and then forgot to put in all of the information.
I'd love to learn some other languages. I might take that up some day.

I think it's more of a case of it being a small place and so they 'train' new managers there before shipping them to a bigger place. I think some managers that made too many drivers mad at them are sent there to hide out also :hide::chairshot:

It can be, and has been said that those 2 theories are pretty valid...certainly the training part...the reason they use small places to do that is so the manager has to do everything, including mopping the floors at night. when somebody calls off, the manager better be ready...he better know how to do everything...we have one here in our area who worked IB, dispatch and OB in the same day because he had all of his FOS on the street in P&D because of fires here keeping drivers away from work..you may have heard about our recent fires, like half the state expoding at one time...couldn't breathe around here for about 3 weeks...but everyone kept plugging away and showing up everyday, so i kept breathing..

FOS' are absolutley required to wear backbelts on the dock, when pulling dock plates, closing trailer doors, and/or handling freight or dunnage.

When the cats away the mice will play. Who polices the FOS's?
Sometimes the Cat has to make a surprise visit to see the real deal.

You are absolutley right, we need the cats to do a little more slinking around, if you will. I was an FOS and I always did my job to the company standards, but that cannot be expected from all, so you have a very valid point. I ensure that it happens at my s/c.

I even saw........

A terminal manager that was visiting a reship, as part of the pride program, rolling 55 gal. drums on a pallet without a backbelt. The sad thing is that everyone knows, including management that back belts do absolutely nothing except make you very uncomfortable and sweat more. Its been proven by people who promote safety, that back belts do nothing to help your back. But.... if they want us to wear them, they should have to wear them. Period.

The sign says, "BACKBELTS ARE REQUIRED WHILE ON DOCK! Period. End of story. Does it matter if you wear a white shirt? No. I would bring this up to your SCM, and tell him if he/she doesn`t want to make it right you will call the RM. This will fall on deaf ears, then call XGO with your beef. The helicopters will be dispatched, after the call to your SCM telling him be ready! :nutkick::hide::chairshot::smilie_132:

bh.gif