XPO | Doug S. on trucks in the future

Inspiring! Quite Inspirrationaaaaallll! I hope that driver chair reclines all the way back because I will be falling a sleep, when I am sitting there doing nothing!

Transport topics has a couple of stories about it. Doogie was fascinated he said. Just imagine sets of triplets being driven by themselves from point a to point b. Think of the money we could save, pay the driver less money to sit there and goof off. Just break the set, back it in, rehook, get back in the cab , punch in the destination, fall asleep, wake up when you get there, and do it again... genius idea, no more fatigued line haul drivers....the future is coming boys and it is closer than you think. Now, if they could teach monkeys to do it we could all become greeters at walmart....Trust conway, you are in good hands with conway,trust conway....

They say that the system actually reduces drowsiness, I would believe that a driver would be more alert in pilot mode at first. But I find it hard to believe that it would last. It's new, any driver would feel uneasy with it in total control, so sure they'd pay close attention. Eventually, anyone would become comfortable with it though and that would wear off. This is not a fully automated vehicle, it's just a glorified cruise control. It's fair weather only, cannot pass, deal with traffic or a lot of other stuff we deal with. It's good for long stretches of roads with lines to follow. A driver still needs to take control in an emergency situation, but they are claiming that the driver can do other things, like use that tablet. Will a driver react quick enough in an emergency situation while being distracted with other "duties"? I doubt it.

They say that the system actually reduces drowsiness, I would believe that a driver would be more alert in pilot mode at first. But I find it hard to believe that it would last. It's new, any driver would feel uneasy with it in total control, so sure they'd pay close attention. Eventually, anyone would become comfortable with it though and that would wear off. This is not a fully automated vehicle, it's just a glorified cruise control. It's fair weather only, cannot pass, deal with traffic or a lot of other stuff we deal with. It's good for long stretches of roads with lines to follow. A driver still needs to take control in an emergency situation, but they are claiming that the driver can do other things, like use that tablet. Will a driver react quick enough in an emergency situation while being distracted with other "duties"? I doubt it.
I agree, grape. This automated truck thing is a TERRIFYING idea. I bet there are some Personal Injury lawyers that are licking their chops right now!

Same way cruise control is easier on your than holding that pedal down for three or four hours. Even if it is only giving you a 45 minute break on your run. That's 45 minutes you didn't have to stress as much. In the middle of the night on empty roads. This is a plus.

It's not going to change city ops. This thing won't blind side into the dock for you. If it would navigate rush hour that might be cool. Creeping along checking out the seat covers.

What am I doing with my hands ? Drinking a coffee. Eating a doughnut. Wondering where all the good times have gone.