ABF | Down in the Pits !!!!!!!!

dockman380

TB Lurker
Credits
had a 30 yr driver back into the dock today and i was assigned to remove 1 or 2 pallets off the truck so he could drop it in the yard.went over to trailer opened roll-up door and flipped up the plate.he had a couple of os+d cartons on the tail. i put a skid down and went into the trailer to remove the skid and felt the truck move.i looked real quick behind me and felt and heard dock plate falling and knew i was in for a ride.truck rolled away from the platform almost all the way across the yard!needless to say you know where i wound up...........down in the pits with the forklift............this driver failed to apply the brakes and left it in neutral and got out of the truck and walked away. thank god i was able to walk away from this,except for the time i will be on modified work and my back and neck and bone chips in my elbow i know how bad this could have been................

Hey Dockman. I'm sure glad that you were able to walk away from that one! That's a pretty scary story. Sorry to hear that you will be on modified duty, but I'm glad that you posted your experience. Sometimes we all need an "attention getter". I have experienced similar situations, even though I run the road out of a relay point. I'll go to grab a set that has been sitting for a bit. Load up my stuff and realize that the driver that brought it had not set the brakes. A couple of times they have been aimed at the fuel island! I know that we all make mistakes or get complacent from time to time. I just hope that plenty of people read this and DIRTFT. Hope you heal quickly!

Glad you where ok dockman380. Same thing happen to me but i was on the forklift and the truck rolled away; from the dock it was scary i could of got hurt what happen was had a pallet of door hangers so it was real heavy on the fork side well we all know that a jeep has a counter weight in the back. Well when the truck rolled away the jeep was was in the middle of the truck and dock, I felt it roll but i thought it was the jeep so i put my brake on well there i went leaving the dock real slow i was with the jeep hanging there i jumped off the jeep the truck driver told me he was sorry he for got to put the brakes on i will never forget that.................the jeep was ok to but if i did not have that heavy pallet on the jeep and i would of fell off the truck crazy thats why i gave up my dock boots and am a line driver ..:1036316054:

Dockman 380 glad to see that you are alright. I hope you have a speedy healing process. Good luck in your return to full status.:1036316054:

he received a warning letter today and a reminder from me that we all have to work to prevent this from happening to anybody else. i know he didnt do it on purpose but im sure he will remember from now on. he was very upset over my getting hurt and apologized many times .

that reminds me of my ups parcel days. a lot of drivers wouldnt come inside and see if we were done loading. depending on what door we were in, it would be an 1/8 mi to about 1/2 mi ride to the guard shack :D that happened to me twice

Here at 005 we have those rubber wheel choks* We are susposed to place them everytime we place a trailer. We also have to place the truck in reverse if we are going to leave the truck under the trailer while inplace on the dock. I am glad that you are doing ok though.

Glad to hear that you are ok. I hate to hear those storites, but as you all know we are human and make mistakes. I dint feel so badly when it happnes to a non union outfit. I dont know I guess it is my union pride showing through

well out of work again........back has been bothering me as well as my elbow,sent me for an mri and found many problems ,herniated discs [2 or 3]and a over extended spine and other things..........at least no modified duty , to much pain. numbness in the legs..........oh well,looks like i got some work to do to get back to full duty again

Sorry to hear that you're in so much pain. Take it easy, follow your doctor's orders, and get well. It's going to take some time for your body to heal up.

I have been injured lately also can anyone tell me are they having problems with the terminal they are working at while they are out on injury for example all the way up to being verbally threatened to be terminated or is that just houston texas dont get me wrong ABF is a great company but they should also understand that added stress does not help to heal an injury any faster

wow so glad to hear you were ok i pull up to docks many of times and most of the time i remember to set the trailer brakes. i guess i just always assumed that when the trailer gets docked with the dock plate it locks the trailer to it. i will make sure from now on to set my park brake, never realized what could of happened! glad to hear you both come out of the rolling trucks in one piece....

to saltwater,............ive not had any problems with anything but my injury,my term. mngr. has not conplained at all, he has listened to the dr.'s and ive been out for about 5 months now,hopefully next month ill be ready to get back to work,in the time ive been out my tractor burnt to the ground so i guess ill be looking at another piece of equiptment.and if i would of had any problems like you are having the first person i would have seen is my steward and then the local.

sorry to bother you again but I guess you can say I am looking for advise on this one I am down here in Houston Texas still out injured going on two months they are still refusing to pay for my medical and I am not recieving any workers com pay at all I was just wondering if anyone out there things it would help if I e-mailed Mr Davidson about this or would I just be spinning my wheels ? what do you think?

sorry to bother you again but I guess you can say I am looking for advise on this one I am down here in Houston Texas still out injured going on two months they are still refusing to pay for my medical and I am not recieving any workers com pay at all I was just wondering if anyone out there things it would help if I e-mailed Mr Davidson about this or would I just be spinning my wheels ? what do you think?

damn ! where is your local at and what did they tell you. they dont have ANY answers for you ?