Drawing A Line In The Sand

Shifterknob

The Last Wordslinger
Credits
So we are all well aware that the company in it's infinite wisdom has been pushing the whole "choices" issue at us, right? Sounds good on the surface... individually tailored wages and benefits, leading to a happy workforce, right?

But then you start digging a little deeper.

Management has got a huge bug up their proverbial behinds about the union presence at Oak Harbor. Especially Local 81 in Portland, whose members are known to be... shall we say... activist in the extreme? And whose leadership is quite clear in their resolve about where we want to go in our upcoming contract.

The VP brothers have spent much time as of late making the rounds to the terminals espousing their grand plan of choices. They have said on many, many occasions that they want to cut our benefits and increase our wages, even though this is diametrically opposite to what most of the employees want!

The latest newsletter and DVDs are talking about changes to the pay and benefits as if it were a done deal! Not to mention the fact that they are, as other psots have stated, engaging in direct bargaining with their organized employees in violation of federal labor law!

Trying the old end run play around the union, huh boys? Do you really thing we don't see what you are up to?

Let me reiterate something to you, Oak Harbor management, as I know you still visit up here on occasion. Let me spell out the facts for you:

1) Oak Harbor Teamsters will NEVER accept your company Health & Welfare plan. Not going to happen!

2) Oak Harbor Teamsters will never accept a company pension plan, a 401(k) plan, or anything BUT what we have: the Western Conference of Teamsters Pension Trust.

3) Oak Harbor Teamsters will NEVER abandon our retirees. NEVER! And your preliminary offer of $.25/hour to turn our backs on them is an insult and speaks volumes about how you truly feel about your own employees!

4) If you think you can shut down the Pacific Northwest part of the company and run only California for two weeks, David, and that you will break our backs, you are not only sadly mistaken, but you are no longer fit to manage the company your father founded. You will not break us in two weeks, nor two months, nor a year. You will lose 75% of your customer base in the first two days of a strike or a lockout, and they will never come back. You will lose, all the way down the line!

5) Your non-union employees are also very well aware of what you are up to, and the dissent in the ranks is growing more vocal every day. They see what is about to be rammed down their throats and they do not like it! And they know their fortunes depend in large part on the union employees toeing the line! Which we will!

6) Perhaps if you gentlemen in senior management would spend a little more time actually running this company (if you are even capable anymore) and spending less time trying to figure out ways of undercutting your own front-line employee's wages and benefits, perhaps we might actually start seeing some good numbers! You are too cheap to hire good management, and when by luck you actually end up with a good manager, they usually end up getting disgusted and quit to go work for our competition which actually knows something about treating their employees like human beings.

7) If you want to see some immediate improvement around here operationally-speaking, you might start by terminating Ron K. and Mike B. They are two of the biggest reasons why this company is sinking and sinking fast!

Just a little advice from your employees. Not that I expect David or anyone else in senior management to listen, as they are well-known for their arrogance and stubborness, even when the truth is staring them in the face.

The truth is what has been stated above. We are drawing a line in the sand, and we will not cross it. And if management continues down the road they are threatening to go, we will see a strike, and we will then see the demise of Oak Harbor Freight Lines.

Crash and burn, baby... crash and burn.

Mark my words...

A Halloween party! I hope you guys can get it together, every driver from OHFL I have talked too is pretty disgusted with the way things are going. What are all those Teamster supervisors going to do?

:chairshot: i love it when the heat get's turned up.fry those vp boy's in there own grease.......lol.i stand behind you guy's 150% even though im no longer there and glad im not im still covering your back's.............when the fire start

Very well put Knob!And that is the sad truth to what is going on.I think the boys are so fed up with dealing with the unions that they would rather run it into the ground or try to sweeten the pot to a potential buyer by trying to break us.I myself am not going down without a fight,I'd rather shut 'em down than work non-union for this crackhead managed outfit.I won't even start in on how eft up management is,It makes me want to puke.The freight will all end up somewhere,or my personal favorite,"I was looking for a job when I found this one":biglaugh:

An OAKH driver said it very well the other day when he said "Just because you have a union card does not mean you have to stop thinking for yourself".

I think employees are much smarter than you give them credit for and can manage their own finances very well.

If yo do not like working for the company then go somewhere else... geeeeeeeh
get a life already

You better hope everyone that does not like working for that company does not leave. It would leave you, dipstick/fairandbalaced, and the VP's.

I don't get it, Oak Harbor employees are efficient hard-working and professional. The company has made great profits because of their efficient, safe drivers, when it comes time for them to stand up and reward the hard-working honest professionals that have made their business such a success everything changes. They won't bargain, they wont open the books concessions are only for companies that are in trouble, not for wealthy corporate barons to exploit for even greater profit.

They would rather insult your intelligence than attempt to work out a fair deal. Remember those profit sharing checks, what a joke. This "choices" thing is the same product from the same snake oil salesmen, its a farce to prevent you from getting what you deserve in pay and benefits.

Oct 31 or we run!

OHFL Masterfreight by 08'

run where?????

Out the gate, I just thought it had good ring to it Oct. thirty-one or we run. See you there, I'll bring some inexpensive consumables, and some folding chairs. I look forward to spending allot of time on OHFL line.

The Vanderpols greed will be their downfall, they have a contract that they can operate profitably under, but thats not good enough, they will want more and more until there is nothing left to give. Stand strong brothers and don't think for a minute you don't deserve every penny you get, and then some.

:rockon:

I'm not really a Union guy but....damn.Hell of
a post.Down here in NonUnion OAKH land things are not much better.Too many of the same awful management types who apparently can do no wrong.Too many "protected" individuals.

:: really need a vomit smiley here ::
eck15.gif

:rockon:

I'm not really a Union guy but....damn.Hell of
a post.Down here in NonUnion OAKH land things are not much better.Too many of the same awful management types who apparently can do no wrong.Too many "protected" individuals.

:: really need a vomit smiley here ::
eck15.gif

WE feel your guys pain.We would love nothing more than to get you guys with us so we can get a stellar contract.This new package that their rolling out is a Lose Lose
deal for all the non-union employees.Essentially we are all paying for the managment short comings around this joint.They don't pay them crap,so you get crap.They try to stifle us with a lousy 50.00 bonus check when we all now they fudge the numbers to make things look better than what they really are.Remember,it's not your guys fault so don't let him try to spin it as if it were.

Dave and Ed continue to spin, spin spin their "great" new plan to the employees out at the terminals, all the while the committee is up in Seattle negotiating.

Obviously, they see major dollar signs by converting us over to their new plans, but to what end, I wonder?

So they can keep expanding their company in non-union areas? They are already forcing their crappy new plans down the throats of the non-union employees without their even having a choice in the matter.

Who knows where we on the union side end up, but at least we will have a say in the matter; a chance to vote the issues up or down, or even go on strike if need be.

David and Ed are saying to us that the company is in the same state of affairs we were in back in '84 when Henry asked us to let him out of the NMFA so OHFL could survive the post-deregulation environment.

But they are opening terminals in California at a rapid rate, and the money that they flush down the toilet through mismanagement and inefficiency every day around here could fund our health & welfare for the next century or beyond.

And I wonder if they are in such desperate straits, are they willing to open their books to the union auditors to verify their finances? Somehow, I doubt that they are quite willing to do this.

And we still have the issues of the retirees to ponder. Their plan does not cover retirees at all, nor do they seem willing to do so. We cannot even bargain for this under labor law, apparently, lest their lawyer file unfair labor practice charges against us.

They have proposed a $.25 an hour bump in our wages for turning our backs on our retirees, and kicking them to the curb. If it was $25 a hour I think there are many of us who would tell them where to go stick their proposals, but obviously they are appealing to greed and self-centeredness in many of us who would turn our backs on those who rely on us to protect their benefits.

I find it despicable behavior, and certainly shows what David and Ed think of those employees who have labored long and hard for them and who now need health care benefits in their retirement. That this company would abandon these people speaks volumes about their supposedly Christian beliefs that they constantly trumpet in their newsletters and DVDs, as well as their basic humanity or lack thereof.

Those of us who believe in more than just ourselves or the almighty dollar will fight any attempt to kick these retirees to the curb with every weapon in our arsenal, and if that means a strike that shuts this company down, than so be it!

I for one would rather see this company go down in flames than turn my back on our retirees, and I hope deeply that I am not alone in standing on my principles.

Time will tell, but we are not going to go quietly into that dark night. No how, no way!

This whole"choices"deal is a joke.I don't think they realize what a shaft deal their really getting.Now they pay for insurance,401k etc.
It's not about choices,it's about greed and the companies inability to properly manage themselves.They constantly step over dollars to pick up dimes.I love how they send their "choices" package to the rank and files as if it were a hint to what a great deal their non-union counteparts are getting.Please! we don't want your package,all your doing is pissing off more employees than you would have if you would just shove it down their throats and let the hard working union membership negotiate a stellar contract.

So if I heard this right they are offering 12.5% for most employees as a package increase. If that was for the union top scale employees that total would equal about $2.53. That is great but what they forget to tell them is that if you subtract the $3.21 pension rate you end up losing $.68. This is not a win, win, win it is a win for the company so they can stick it to their loyal employees and make more money while providing less for these hard working men and women.

The union did not actually have the nerve to bring that before the members did they? Local 81 couldn't negotiate a go cart track, they can't even get along with themselves and their are only two full time staffers.

I hear Craig W. is locked out of the Hall, Tom S. has ask him to resign. Conditions at the master barns have gotten worse and worse, Roadway has had over a thousand warning letters issued year to date. An we see a local 81 rep maybe once every sixty days, maybe we should merge and that way we could have professionals working for us. I am embarrassed how can we look strong in the face of the company when the people we elect can't even get along?

And let's not forget their gracious offer of $.15/hour raise in return for giving up our sick pay program. Of course, at $.15/hour, one would have to work over 1060 hours just to equal one paid sick day under our current program.

Oh, and if you have a full bank of twenty-four days when the program goes bye-bye? Well, they will generously cash you out at the rate mind-blowing rate of one day per every five in your bank. So, if you had a full bank of twenty-four days, you would get four and a third sick days cashed out.

Of course, our non-union employees are going to just have to deal with it, as they have no choice int he matter, because come January 1, 2008, this all goes into effect.

The union side, however?

I believe Hell will become a National Hockey League skating rink before we give this company any concessions like what they are seeking...:1036316054:

Wow... can I get that cash, or are you planning on paying that out in rolled pennies, Dave and Ed?

...I find it despicable behavior, and certainly shows what David and Ed think of those employees who have labored long and hard for them and who now need health care benefits in their retirement. That this company would abandon these people speaks volumes about their supposedly Christian beliefs that they constantly trumpet in their newsletters and DVDs, as well as their basic humanity or lack thereof....

I took this from Shifternob, but he hit the nail on the head. I consider myself a God fearing man. So when I sit at the Local 81 meetings and hear the crap that this company/family tries to pull, it just makes me cringe. Using God's name and all, and then trying to bend the OHFL guys over, and do it with a smile and a pat on the back. Listen guys, yall go out on strike, I'll show up at the picket line. They want to bring in some big hot shot union buster, then lets bring them to their knees and strike! If money coming in starts to trickle, then there gonna have to come back to the table and offer a much better wage/benefit package!
oh yeah, NO GOBBLERS!!!

Well, we appreciate the setiment, man. Let's hope we can toe the line, because if we don't draw the line here, where do we draw it?

Let me get this straight. The company is also throwing out there that they will pay an additional $.15 for the employees to abandon their sick leave??? That is $312 on a 2080 work year. If the top scale is now $20.21 and if I heard right they get 6 sick days per year, that would equal $970.08. Does this company understand all the give backs they are asking for. This is an insult to the Oak Harbor employees. From what I understand they have more flexibilty than anybody else. Why do they feel they need all of this flexibilty when other companies can make money with less. These guys don't understand how they are treating their employees do they.

Incidentally.I hear that the annual Love Fest is coming up this Friday.Managers and Tm's are having the annual meeting in Auburn.Apparently this years Topic De Jour is R-e-s-p-e-c-t !!! :hysterical: