SAIA | Drivecam

Maybe but it definitely was the same lytx camera we have
If it is the LYTX DRIVECAM DEVICE it is driver facing and forward facing. No company would spend that kind of money to deactivate the driver facing feature. They would buy the old system by “Bendix” (I think) that faces forward only. It simply wouldn’t make any financial sense and numbers are the bottom line in this business. DriveCam is not cheap. It is the ultimate in trucking technology in regards to safety. DriveCams niche in this business is driver facing devices. No one would buy that LYTX product and not use that feature. It would make no sense.

Last edited:
If it is the LYTX DRIVECAM DEVICE it is driver facing and forward facing. No company would spend that kind of money to deactivate the driver facing feature. They would buy the old system by “Bendix” (I think) that faces forward only. It simply wouldn’t make any financial sense and numbers are the bottom line in this business. DriveCam is not cheap. It is the ultimate in trucking technology in regards to safety. DriveCams niche in this business is driver facing devices. No one would buy that LYTX product and not use that feature. It would make no sense.
If it makes no sense than YRC would be a perfect fit for doing that.

If it makes no sense than YRC would be a perfect fit for doing that.
They may have more money than they are saying they have. They must have more money if they invest in this technology. It doesn’t seem like they would want to flaunt that with the upcoming contract negotiations. But who really knows?

Last edited:
They may have more money than they are saying they have. They must have more money if they invest in this technology. It doesn’t seem like they would want to flaunt that with the upcoming contract negotiations. But who really knows?
Another way to throw money away and claim their broke to get a favorable contract. The difference between most of YRC and Saia is Saia turns a consistent profit. The regionals do well for YRC but throwing money at cameras should only take place after their debt is paid down and their employees are not on any give backs anymore.

I am retired about 2 1/2 years. ABF was 1 year from on board recorders which I have no problems with. I ran my own forward facing dash cam the last 4 years I was there & in my personal pick-up. Model DOD 460 model. About 200 @ Amazon. As to the camera facing me I would not have lasted long. For I would cover up the driver facing cam & shortly after several 'the camera can't see me' I would have been fired. But, being blessed working under a CBA, I would have taken the first dock bid available, there for saving my job. But I do feel for the drivers, especially the more senior veterans who can't jump ship so easily @ 50 because of the 'gotta find something wrong with the driver' camera policy. On the other hand, staying with an outfit that operates like that, you risk being fired over 1 camera pic anyway. So why stay with an outfit like that. Leave on your own terms, protecting your work history. Like I said, I feel for the drivers still working. Being a concrete cowboy has never been easy. But a while back it was a job you enjoyed & looked forward to most days. The only influence a driver has now is the shortage of steering wheel holders. And that will go in cycles like most things. Be safe. von.

Last edited:
This camera can’t be turned on remotely. You must trigger an event to download anything. You are spreading fear and that’s just wrong.
I wouldn't be so quick with dismissing the possibility of remote activation. From the moment that the company started installing the cameras, the use of the cameras has been morphing into more and more big brother kind of stuff. Originally, it was forward only, then forward and in cab but was just there to help with teaching not disciplining, then it morph into disciplinary action with provisions for termination. Months ago, I believe that you were defending the camera system, until you, according to the system, whiffed on that stop sign and now you are fighting the results of that camera trigger.

Company history, with the camera system, shows that management is turning the screws tighter and tighter, which means that the camera system is just going to become more intrusive and remote activation seems like another logical turn of the screw. Book it, you can see it coming.

I wouldn't be so quick with dismissing the possibility of remote activation. From the moment that the company started installing the cameras, the use of the cameras has been morphing into more and more big brother kind of stuff. Originally, it was forward only, then forward and in cab but was just there to help with teaching not disciplining, then it morph into disciplinary action with provisions for termination. Months ago, I believe that you were defending the camera system, until you, according to the system, whiffed on that stop sign and now you are fighting the results of that camera trigger.

Company history, with the camera system, shows that management is turning the screws tighter and tighter, which means that the camera system is just going to become more intrusive and remote activation seems like another logical turn of the screw. Book it, you can see it coming.
I could possibly see it coming. But they better have full disclosure of what they are doing. Otherwise I can see it going into litigation. Fortunately I will be fully retired and on the lake fishing and won’t give a **** either way. You can book that!!:17142:

I wonder how that will be addressed in their upcoming contract negotiations next year. YRC must feel fairly confident that they can push that through. Those will be a big investment. That kind of makes me feel good because I’m sick of all the YRC drivers telling me the Teamsters would never allow that. Seems as if YRC has a heads up on something otherwise they would make that sort of investment.
That I believe has already been addressed, I seem to remember guys were told that they were outward facing only, many covered the lens
I could possibly see it coming. But they better have full disclosure of what they are doing. Otherwise I can see it going into litigation. Fortunately I will be fully retired and on the lake fishing and won’t give a :censored: either way. You can book that!!:17142:
I would bet you have already signed those rights away.

We can all complain about the cameras. I would bet 100% of us drivers hate them. But in my opinion it’s all in the way the person in charge of coaching coaches. I think the coaching should come from another driver. A senior driver or driver trainer. Not a dock supervisor. Would most drivers be better with a coaching committee even if you had to call and talk with another driver at a bigger terminal? Now if your caught on your phone or unsafe driving then you get the sit down with terminal manager. To me it’s all in the way it’s approached. The best tool we can all use is to get your own access to Lytx and you can see your videos if you trigger a reportable event rather then just get caught off guard when they pull you aside.

I could possibly see it coming. But they better have full disclosure of what they are doing. Otherwise I can see it going into litigation. Fortunately I will be fully retired and on the lake fishing and won’t give a :censored: either way. You can book that!!:17142:
Brother,it's a race between me and you to the retirement finish line and my sentiment exactly.

It is lytx cameras. The inward lens is disabled from the factory for the Yrc trucks.

It is lytx cameras. The inward lens is disabled from the factory for the Yrc trucks.
Until 2019 when the Teamsters allows them. They can be activated with the flick of a switch. Surely you don’t think they would invest in that technology if they didn’t plan to use it down the road. And surely you don’t think the Teamsters would make a stand against them in 2019 after they sold out ABF.

Until 2019 when the Teamsters allows them. They can be activated with the flick of a switch. Surely you don’t think they would invest in that technology if they didn’t plan to use it down the road. And surely you don’t think the Teamsters would make a stand against them in 2019 after they sold out ABF.
I do find it a little presumptuous for YRC to purchase these cameras before they get approval but then again not really. They are dealing with the Teamsters and their track record speaks for itself.

I do find it a little presumptuous for YRC to purchase these cameras before they get approval but then again not really. They are dealing with the Teamsters and their track record speaks for itself.
It may have little to do with the Teamsters and everything to do with money. After the initial investment , an argument can be made that the cameras pay for themselves through lower accident rates , lower insurance rates , and less damages due to accidents.

:1036316054:
It may have little to do with the Teamsters and everything to do with money. After the initial investment , an argument can be made that the cameras pay for themselves through lower accident rates , lower insurance rates , and less damages due to accidents.
:lmao:

I wonder how that will be addressed in their upcoming contract negotiations next year. YRC must feel fairly confident that they can push that through. Those will be a big investment. That kind of makes me feel good because I’m sick of all the YRC drivers telling me the Teamsters would never allow that. Seems as if YRC has a heads up on something otherwise they would make that sort of investment.
Teamsters will do whatever the company through Hoffa tells them to. It’s one reason why I won’t vote IBT in.

Throw the magic 8 ball again?