XPO | driver apprentice program

You should be asking yourself, if this company is trying to pass itself off as the "premier ltl transporter", why do they have to hire people that don't even have a CDL yet? Why can't they hire drivers that already have 5, 10, 15 years of experience?

Got hired for the training program in Indy and wanted to hear some thoughts and advice from drivers.
Driver Apprentice Program
Congratulations , I guess.

A few questions for you -
1. Did you have to sign a contract?
2. If so for how long?
3. Do you know about our Dock Worker program and how it might impact you? ( we are ramping up )
4. Were you offered any incentives by Con-way to make your decision ? ( money talks )
5. You do know that in your area that Con-way is rumored to have a hard time retaining drivers?

Good luck.

Got hired for the training program in Indy and wanted to hear some thoughts and advice from drivers.

They will get you your license and show you how to drive a truck. And want you to work for atleast a year. Do it. Everybody knows you will be well trained in every aspect of LTL after working at Con-way. That's the plus side.

Bottom line is that it's a fantastic way to get your license. It will put you into a career where you will have no problem finding work. Make better than average money. And take care of your family in ways you couldn't before.

Downside is that if a company is that desperate it has run some people off. You will have to put up with some ridiculous childish irrational equally unskilled management. And deal with the remaining workforce that is so caustic and hostile that you will literally question your decision EVERY SINGLE DAY.

I cannot in good conscience tell you to turn and run. Get your license. It will change your life. It did for me. After that, it will all work itself out. Making over three times what I was before. Not bad for no degree.

Have to agree with Beerfd here what they do at my barn is get there license and then work the year and they leave and go to Fed Ex !!!

They will get you your license and show you how to drive a truck. And want you to work for atleast a year. Do it. Everybody knows you will be well trained in every aspect of LTL after working at Con-way. That's the plus side.

Got to agree with everyone else on this one. Con-Way still has a good reputation in this industry with safety and training. From what I understand from the guys that have done the class, it's a good one. Get your license, deal with BS for the next year, and soak up everything you can for the next place you work.

One year after offered full time driver. Know about the non cdl dock workers, but they said we would get the hours before them?

Thanks for the feedback. I have done a ton of research and this seems to be the best way to get cdl with have to pay $6000 and not go otr. Don't mind the dock work or having it last four months. Hopefully it works out.

Be careful and be safe. Ask questions , lots of questions. Always remember : Con-way is an OK company , but management will ALWAYS do what they think is best for the company , even if it really doesn't work.
Find out more about how the dock worker push may affect your pockets. Good or bad , dock workers are meant to keep drivers off the dock and save Con-way money since they make less. I'm guessing you make more than a dock worker as a driver apprentice sooooo you may be on the s#it list. If you have contract with Con-way maybe it spells out what Con-way will and won't do for you during the 12 week training period.

Anyway good luck , and keep an open mind.

Dont worry about the Conway aspects. Do your year then split for an outfit you can stay and work for long term or retire from Conway if you can. Just remember that with a CDL in your pocket that everyday is a learning experience. Remember that and you'll be ok.