R&L | Driver/Dock combo

Guitar man

TB Lurker
Credits
I may have a shot to hook on straight out of school in the above mentioned capacity. Anybody care to give me the skinny on this? Do you basically live on the dock while getting a run thrown your way ever so occasionally? Was just wondering how it works...

Thanks

That's pretty much the gist of the Combo Driver/Dock Worker position. You work the dock until they need you to run a load some where...

Some terminals have you work dock and then do a Short linehaul run . It may get frustrating but it is a good place to start right outta School especially if you don't want to do the over the road deal

Thanks for the quick replies! Much appreciated. So long as I pass their driving test and interview process, I may just be passing into your neck of the woods Old #7Unless I got absolutely horrible scenario's from you guys, I was definitely going to go for this, as I've been alive long enough to realize it'll be leaps and bounds better than OTR for weeks at a time... :1036316054:

If you come straight out of school... you have to remain a combo guy for one year before you can bid on a run. They consider that your one years experience.

If you come straight out of school... you have to remain a combo guy for one year before you can bid on a run. They consider that your one years experience.

Yeah, I kind of figured that's how it'd work. I'd have no problem with that,as I realize you gotta pay your dues no matter where you start.I'd much rather do it here than in OTR where your gone for 3 weeks at a pop minimum.:1036316054:

And you don't get stuck on an extra board only working a couple of days a week. Our combo guys are usually maxed out on hours by the end of the week.

Man, I appreciate this info CW and #7. I test out tomorrow,so hopefully I'll be on the horn setting up an interview by tomorrow afternoon for next week. Thanks again guys. If I do get hired I'll have to find you guys, as I owe you a couple of beers... :1036316054:

Thanks C Wing.Hopefully I don't dick up the road test this week!:hysterical:All I've ever driven was 9 and 10 speed Freightliners,and my guess is I'll get tossed into the oldest Mack on your lot to take the test.:hide: So if I so how make it through w/o dropping the tranny or taking out a wall, maybe I'll end up working w/ you guys.I really do want to work for R&L in whatever capacity they'd be willing to hire me on as.:1036316054:

We only have one Mack with two seats. It's an old one. The shifter has allot of play in it. When you turn on all your lights, there are two switches in an older Mack. If you get the safety guy for the road test, he'll have you do a mock hazmat railroad crossing. Just remember your 15-50 feet and don't change gears while crossing. Good luck!

Thanks again CW. You guys have been invaluable to me.Hopefully I'll get that Ole Mack purring enough to get offered the position,as I could really use this job.The 3 months off of work for Heavy Equipment/CDL school has me tapped out.The little womans check only goes so far,especially w/ 2 teenage daughters!:wacko: If this doesn't work out for me, I guess I'm off OTR.:shrug:

Waiting on my haz mat clearance. My local State Police barracks completely dicked up the process and never mailed my info in, so I lost like 2 1/2 weeks there.I finally got it straightened out at a different barracks, so I'm wating for the clearance to come back, and then we'll go from there. I passed the road test and had a great interview w/ your TM, so hopefully it's just a matter of time and a little better luck on my side and I'll be down there w/ you guys...:1036316054: