Pitt-Ohio | Driver Facing Camera

There are some good paying companies having a hard time hiring or keeping safe qualified drivers because of driver facing cameras. I know someone who does road tests for his employer and he said its common for prospective drivers to turn down the opportunity once they get in the truck and find out one is in the cab. I don't blame them and I'm pretty sure I'd be doing the same. Foward facing cameras and any other recording my surroundings is fine but once you point one right at me to record each and every movement I make, I say no thank you. I'll become an O/O before I go along with that.

There are some good paying companies having a hard time hiring or keeping safe qualified drivers because of driver facing cameras. I know someone who does road tests for his employer and he said its common for prospective drivers to turn down the opportunity once they get in the truck and find out one is in the cab. I don't blame them and I'm pretty sure I'd be doing the same. Foward facing cameras and any other recording my surroundings is fine but once you point one right at me to record each and every movement I make, I say no thank you. I'll become an O/O before I go along with that.
If they film me like a movie star, then they better pay me like a movie star. šŸ˜Ž

When the covers come off the cameras you will be the star of your own reality show for the Safety dept. to watch and comment on, you might make the Big Screen in the Safety meeting but I seriously doubt you will be going to Hollywood, but they may want your autograph on a warning letter.

There are companies out there that see the benefit of not having these driver facing cameras. They mention they don't have them in their help wanted ad because they realize there are plenty of good drivers who just don't want to be criticized for every little move they make. Saia and XPO have been on my "no interest list" for a long time now and it looks like Pitt Ohio is going to join them. Sticking a camera on my dash to watch me is just a way of saying "we don't trust you". Why would I want to work for someone like that. The best is the OTR carriers that have them. That cab is like the driver's home and there's a camera watching every move you make. They just want to make their made up driver shortage even worse. It might be fine with today's economy but dash cams will bite them in the ass when business levels pick up again. I would take a job that pays a couple bucks less an hour if it meant the difference of having a camera watching me every second of the day.

There are companies out there that see the benefit of not having these driver facing cameras. They mention they don't have them in their help wanted ad because they realize there are plenty of good drivers who just don't want to be criticized for every little move they make. Saia and XPO have been on my "no interest list" for a long time now and it looks like Pitt Ohio is going to join them. Sticking a camera on my dash to watch me is just a way of saying "we don't trust you". Why would I want to work for someone like that. The best is the OTR carriers that have them. That cab is like the driver's home and there's a camera watching every move you make. They just want to make their made up driver shortage even worse. It might be fine with today's economy but dash cams will bite them in the ass when business levels pick up again. I would take a job that pays a couple bucks less an hour if it meant the difference of having a camera watching me every second of the day.
I agree, I thought Pitt might be better than that but they seem to have jumped on the wagon as well. They used to be an Elite Fleet! But over the years they have went down hill and jumping on the wagon with all the others.

Swift ran em for a awhile and took em out

Cam footage is discoverable in court, so aint much sense in giving any of the slip and fall parasitic human excrement that some affectionately refer to as ā€œlawyersā€ any extra ammunition to hang you wih

Know how you say to the ****tard that wants to call in on ya ā€œhey use my phoneā€? Well a company stupid enuff to put a camera in a truck is like sayin to the firing squad your tied to a post in front of ā€œhey use my gunā€

Ya, real brilliant šŸ™„

Yup here at abf our new 5 year contract does not allow driver facing cameras
I'm at FXF. We have that stuff in the cab but it came with the foward facing camera. We questioned them when they said they weren't using the driver facing equipment. We kept questioning them about it. They told us if we don't like the driver facing camera cover it up but do not mess with the foward facing camera. We've been shown over and over how the foward facing camera is helping them from being blamed for another driver's recklessness. The foward facing camera is all that's needed to show whether or not the driver is being safe and who's at fault. A driver facing camera isn't needed and you don't really need a union contract to keep them away. You just need a wise employer. By the way Sysco and US Foods, both union companies, have driver facing cameras. I know a Sysco driver with a clean record and no reasons to be worried, who quit the week they were turned on.

I'm at FXF. We have that stuff in the cab but it came with the foward facing camera. We questioned them when they said they weren't using the driver facing equipment. We kept questioning them about it. They told us if we don't like the driver facing camera cover it up but do not mess with the foward facing camera. We've been shown over and over how the foward facing camera is helping them from being blamed for another driver's recklessness. The foward facing camera is all that's needed to show whether or not the driver is being safe and who's at fault. A driver facing camera isn't needed and you don't really need a union contract to keep them away. You just need a wise employer. By the way Sysco and US Foods, both union companies, have driver facing cameras. I know a Sysco driver with a clean record and no reasons to be worried, who quit the week they were turned on.
I was with them the night they went live with the driver facing cameras at Sysco Syracuse. Guy got caught on the phone and was released. Took him over a year to get his job back. The progressive disciplinary policy agreed to in the contract didn't mean squat. Guys in Chicago that got released were back on the job 2 days later. Gotta have a strong BA but unfortunately ours wasn't resolving this in a timely manner. Sysco hires you to fire you. Toxic place to put it nicely.

I cant work with a camera pointed at me when I'm trying to work. Every move we make behind the wheel will be criticized by safety and other drivers after they see the perceived bad moves we make throughout the day. I will be applying at other companies before my cover comes off because it's obvious it will sooner or later. IMO the only reason they want the covers off is to discipline drivers. This job is hard enough without having to second guess yourself and worry about getting fired all day. Also I really don't like the feeling of being stared at, sorry.

https://www.dailydot.com/news/female-truck-driver-recorded-while-changing/