ABF | Driver-facing Cameras

"Tampering" with the camera.......I would hope,.....rather, I know....you've filed rebuttals on any certified letters you've received. A Driver in the cab...is presumed to control ALL aspects of that cab,...and any adjustments to equipment are for the Safety of both the Driver,...and Unit he is operating.. If,...say,....the fire extinguisher was located too far forward for that particular driver's leg length,...and the driver removed the fire extinguisher and safely relocated,...and secured,... it out of his leg's way....
....would that be "tampering"?

Since there was no damage done to the camera,.......what the company is calling : "Tampering",......is actually "Adjustment".....For Safety .
The camera use is still in negotiation. If ABF has not released Driver Training on "Proper Adjustment Of Camera",....then it is impossible for ABF to say any ....movement....of camera is "Tampering".

Anyone see any Company Guidance on "Proper Adjustment Of Camera"? I thought not.......Same as they don't tell you how to adjust the seat,....or the heater/AC controls. Or mirrors......

Adjustment is not "Tampering".....Unless there's damage to the Camera. And until ABF releases company-mandated guidelines on...."Proper Camera Adjustment Do's and Don't's",......any camera adjustment,....for Driver Safety and Visibility,........should b allowed.

Just because ArcBest upper management has declared the cameras as "Sacred Territory",....doesn't mean Driver Adjustment isn't superseded by...management Opinion.......

Make sure your BA sends along those warning letters to Ernie and his negotiating team.
Thanks,but this was several months ago. I did file a protest letter on a grievance form with the union stating that 'I, as the driver, am required by law (395) to check the security of all items in the cab that may become unsecured and block the drivers view or become a danger to the driver.' There was a lot more to my protest letter than just that statement but that was my main point. Local 728 does have my protest statement and 2 FMCSA articles that support my protest grievance.

Anyone who wants to know the articles I used just Google DOT pretrip inspection and the DOT article for secured items in the cab. I just directly quoted from those 2 article on the grievance.

Last edited:
Thanks,but this was several months ago. I did file a protest letter on a grievance form with the union stating that 'I, as the driver, am required by law (395) to check the security of all items in the cab that may become unsecured and block the drivers view or become a danger to the driver.' There was a lot more to my protest letter than just that statement but that was my main point. Local 728 does have my protest statement and 2 FMCSA articles that support my protest grievance.

Anyone who wants to know the articles I used just Google DOT pretrip inspection and the DOT article for secured items in the cab. I just directly quoted from those 2 article on the grievance.
Thanks brother keep us informed about how it turns out.

How did you grieve a warning letter? They took that out in the last contract, we had two denied by our local....7 1/2 years can’t come fast enough to get out of this pathetic industry....

How did you grieve a warning letter? They took that out in the last contract, we had two denied by our local....7 1/2 years can’t come fast enough to get out of this pathetic industry....
I filed a grievance starting with "I do hereby protest warning letter (insert the certified letter number here) as unjust and unfair because..........
The article number for the grievance is the article number on the warning letter. I have never had one denied.

I filed a grievance starting with "I do hereby protest warning letter (insert the certified letter number here) as unjust and unfair because..........
The article number for the grievance is the article number on the warning letter. I have never had one denied.
And where did it go? Was it rescinded?

Usually there is no grievance procedure for warning letters. Warning letters are regarded as the company's "Opinion" on your actions. Rebuttal letters are regarded as your "Opinion" on the company's "Opinion".
In official company records kept,.....both warning letters and rebuttals must be filed together, and both must be regarded in cases involving discipline based on the......."volume" of warning letters.

That's why it's so important to file a rebuttal on any warning letter you receive. It's your chance to counter the company's "Opinion".

"Opinions"....aren't discipline. Technically,...individual warning letters aren't threatening to your employment or paycheck. They're merely the company's attempt at instruction,.......Their "Opinion" of your actions.......

Now,...many employees regard warning letters as a....personal Insult. And, ...management knows that. Sometimes, warning letters are management's way of.....digging at an employee they don't care for,...while remaining sanctimonious, saying; "We regard your actions as needing correction..."

The only time warning letters can be dangerous,....is when an employee does something that could be a fireable/disciplineable action,......and the company has a large file of.....Unanswered warning letters, and wants to prove the employee should be fired because he/she is an ongoing....."attitude problem".

Even in Arbitration,...a large file of....UNREBUTTED warning letters will be considered in cases of dismissal.

Very Important to rebut ALL warning letters.

The only time warning letters can be....Successfully Grieved,.....is when it can be...Proved,.....that the letters are based in harassment ONLY,....and not within contractual boundaries or not based on contractual Articles.

In other words,.....Almost impossible. Company's too slick to....harass without covering it's tracks........

For 99% of the workforce,....a Warning Letter may seem as an uninformed, personal, ignorant, cheap low shot by vengeful bosses.
And,.....some bosses use them as such.
So,......You get to Rebut that ignorant, uninformed....Opinion,.....with one of your own.

In....uhh,......My Opinion,......a perfect Rebuttal letter should call into question the competence and experience of the person writing the warning letter,.....and contrast that with your decades of real-world experience and decision-making behind the wheel,.......as opposed to a desk jockey who couldn't tell a glad-hand from a gearshift two tries out of three.........

Don't forget that a Warning Letter can contain a....Direct Company Order.....to change, or do different,...whatever caused the company to issue the Warning Letter.

The Warning Letter then becomes a.....Direct Company Order,....which, if you think they have misapplied the contract,...now becomes grieveable.

Don't disobey the Direct Order,....until you have successfully grieved it.

Usually there is no grievance procedure for warning letters. Warning letters are regarded as the company's "Opinion" on your actions. Rebuttal letters are regarded as your "Opinion" on the company's "Opinion".
In official company records kept,.....both warning letters and rebuttals must be filed together, and both must be regarded in cases involving discipline based on the......."volume" of warning letters.

That's why it's so important to file a rebuttal on any warning letter you receive. It's your chance to counter the company's "Opinion".

"Opinions"....aren't discipline. Technically,...individual warning letters aren't threatening to your employment or paycheck. They're merely the company's attempt at instruction,.......Their "Opinion" of your actions.......

Now,...many employees regard warning letters as a....personal Insult. And, ...management knows that. Sometimes, warning letters are management's way of.....digging at an employee they don't care for,...while remaining sanctimonious, saying; "We regard your actions as needing correction..."

The only time warning letters can be dangerous,....is when an employee does something that could be a fireable/disciplineable action,......and the company has a large file of.....Unanswered warning letters, and wants to prove the employee should be fired because he/she is an ongoing....."attitude problem".

Even in Arbitration,...a large file of....UNREBUTTED warning letters will be considered in cases of dismissal.

The only time warning letters can be....Successfully Grieved,.....is when it can be...Proved,.....that the letters are based in harassment ONLY,....and not within contractual boundaries or not based on contractual Articles.

In other words,.....Almost impossible. Company's too slick to....harass without covering it's tracks........

For 99% of the workforce,....a Warning Letter may seem as an uninformed, personal, ignorant, cheap low shot by vengeful bosses.
So,......You get to Rebut that ignorant, uninformed....Opinion,.....with one of your own.

In....uhh,......My Opinion,......a perfect Rebuttal letter should call into question the competence and experience of the person writing the warning letter,.....and contrast that with your decades of real-world experience and decision-making behind the wheel,.......as opposed to a desk jockey who couldn't tell a glad-hand from a gearshift two tries out of three.........
Warning letters are a good moral booster....:452:

Thanks, I didn't know how to answer Go without sounding like an ass or a know it all. Your explanation is why I always start warning letter grievances with unfair and unjust. If any warning letters are later used to discipline me (cost me money or benefits), I want to start with I was unjustly punished in the warning letter you are trying to use against me.

Thanks, I didn't know how to answer Go without sounding like an ass or a know it all. Your explanation is why I always start warning letter grievances with unfair and unjust. If any warning letters are later used to discipline me (cost me money or benefits), I want to start with I was unjustly punished in the warning letter you are trying to use against me.
But what will that do for you? It basically means nothing. They should have never voted out grieving a warning letter in the last contract! And I’m tired of hearing drivers say I got one more contract to go so I don’t care. I can tell you when I am on my last contract I still will care about the next person....