ABF | Driver-facing Cameras

Not really, I was notorious for going to bed if the roads got bad, if weatherman predicted snow, I didn't hesitate to mark off.
The dispatchers and safetyman gave me handle of (Panama Hat Driver)
Dispatch called me a fair weather driver. And I told them I was proud of it. I even endeared myself to them by asking how many times I need to mark off to receive my trophy. Game on after that conversation. Not a piece of freight worth dying over. Besides, if you have an accident in the snow, you are fired. You get your job back, but a 4 week suspension was worth 4 grand. Tell me again WHY I should drive in bad weather? I also was asked by Dave Marksbury (dispatcher) how I knew I was going to be sick 14 hours in advance of my bid start time. I told him I was 'psychic'. He told me to get out. I actually went camping on the Friday before Labor Day. They knew it, I knew it. Let the games begin. von.

How is it possible that a union company is dealing with this while a non doesn’t have driver facing cams? I’m not anti union, but this just makes me scratch my head

Which one, Brother? Pretty much every non-Union that I can think of has the driver-facing cameras.

Now you've got my curiosity up.......If a non-Union carrier isn't installing cameras,..it might be because they've seen the firestorm and don't want to interfere with....hiring drivers.
Or,..the price is prohibiting.....

I can see companies using "No Driver-Facing Cameras!" as a recruiting tool........

Dispatch called me a fair weather driver. And I told them I was proud of it. I even endeared myself to them by asking how many times I need to mark off to receive my trophy. Game on after that conversation. Not a piece of freight worth dying over. Besides, if you have an accident in the snow, you are fired. You get your job back, but a 4 week suspension was worth 4 grand. Tell me again WHY I should drive in bad weather? I also was asked by Dave Marksbury (dispatcher) how I knew I was going to be sick 14 hours in advance of my bid start time. I told him I was 'psychic'. He told me to get out. I actually went camping on the Friday before Labor Day. They knew it, I knew it. Let the games begin. von.

Carry that badge:..."Fair Weather Driver".....with Honor. It means your judgement, experience and....care for company equipment......was much higher than that low-paid, daylight 9 to 5, plush-bottomed dispatcher sitting in his overly warm chair....
.....whose Life, Livelihood, and Driving record wasn't on the line.......

Easy to...dispatch someone out in icy, slippery conditions,....Especially when you...risk nothing.........

That's why they paid you the.....Big Bucks.......More than your Driving Skills,...your Judgement of Conditions, and willingness to handle ALL the Liability, once off Company Property,.....
....Those are the main reasons you were compensated much higher than the Deadwood sitting behind the Dispatch desk.....

You and I are Retired,.........and I'll bet you've received more than a few..."offers"....to drive Truck for some Fly-By-Night.....

And I know you tell them just what I tell them..........."You Can't Afford Me..."

Which one, Brother? Pretty much every non-Union that I can think of has the driver-facing cameras.

Now you've got my curiosity up.......If a non-Union carrier isn't installing cameras,..it might be because they've seen the firestorm and don't want to interfere with....hiring drivers.

I can see companies using "No Driver-Facing Cameras!" as a recruiting tool........
Sefl

They have road facing cams in the new units but no driver facing cams with no plans to install them that they have told us about

Ahh,....Thank you! I didn't know about SEFL.

Well,...Good for you guys! The whole point is that drivers....Union or non-Union.....shouldn't have to be personally surveilled. Privacy,...Fourth Amendment,...Proprietary Rights,.....There's a whole gamut of reasons.

Maybe your upper management is a little more...."enlightened"....about drivers, and what is morally reprehensible.....I hope it stays that way, Brother.

DFkJdzU.jpg

Von, these are harder to come by, if you're a supertrucker!

DFkJdzU.jpg

Von, these are harder to come by, if you're a supertrucker!

Yes they are very hard to come by. The only reason I wanted to drive a truck was I wanted to see the US. And I did. Especially west of the Mississippi. A reward was something I never thought of. Money & sight seeing was my reason.I got lucky my last 20 years driving for a union outfit. I know the outfits I drove for to see the country never would have provided me with the compensation I got from ABF. Your point on protecting their equipment, my life, & others is dead on. The never remember how fast you are, just your uck up's. Local 135 did a fair job of backing us up in not working due to adverse conditions. von.

Estes also doesn’t. Pretty sure OD doesn’t.

As usual, Brother canary, you hit the nail on the head with this issue. This is an attempt by the company to single out one group of employees (Unionized) as the supposed guinea pigs...drivers of...TRUCKS! While the sales force, et al, are excused. I’d have an old hat or rag ready to drape over the camera.
Some Friends of mine at Covenant tried eliminating the (earlier version of a) "Lane Deviation" ALERT (crossing a line without using a turn signal [like it's even possible in Construction Zones and engaging 4-ways helps not]). They actually reduced the SUDDEN NOISE thru Tape and a Towel till the Company simply acquired New Trucks. The NOISE now emits from the LEFT LOWER stereo speaker thereby eliminating a NOISE abatement procedure.
(Some Drivers under the earlier NOISE version simply "cut a wire at the ALERT speaker" [which was mounted over Passenger Seat] thereby relegating their Employment Status to that of UNEMPLOYED [or maybe unemployable].)

The Driver Facing Cameras in most Trucks are, as "claimed by Safety Divisions", Not Continuously Engaged In Recording Driver Expressions, Sounds or Actions until a Safety Event causes Camera to engage.
Safety Event(s): SUDDEN BRAKING, Sharp Turns (or Sudden Sharp Turn), or as deemed necessary by someone in "safety or dispatch".
Forward "recording" is (a) continuous (loop).
Putting a "covering" (hat, bandana, black tape [my preference]) upon Unit disengages Unit from Proper Function and results in Disciplinary Action (like in Elementary School): go see the principal or director.
I got banished from 1 company for the tape reason alone. (I drive Part Time for a Local "Driver Service".)
Harris-Teeter has Driver Facing Cameras in all their trucks that are not Switchers Units.
I found a way to "defeat" the ME facing cameras (since they're mounted at TOP of windscreen): Lower Driver Visor!
Since ALL Trucks are VOLVO, Driver Visor is Longer yet doesn't corrupt forward view as just a few inches is a satisfactory maneuver.
Harris-Teeter also claims: "Drivers shall not talk on Phones even WITH a hands free Headset, nor shall they Eat Food or Drink Fluids while Driving". So then you're an Automaton, no thanks.
I no anymore drive their equipment, for those and additional reasons.

I Hope Safe and Pleasant Journeys To Thee and Thy Loved Ones!

Last edited:
Great idea with the sun visor! I drove a Sterling for both Conway and, lastly before I retired, ABF Freight. I don’t think the visors would’ve reached out far enough to cover the camera lens on Conway’s trucks (early-model Sterlings), but I know for sure my tractor at ABF wouldn’t have reached. I left both company’s before driver-facing camera’s were installed, so I don’t have a horse in this race. I am dead-set against these intrusive devices nevertheless.

I'm sure Harbor Freight sells a Sun Visor Extender,...that clips on and adds another 4" or so.....

Hey! Safety First!.....don't want that Sun Glare causing a problem.........

Carry that badge:..."Fair Weather Driver".....with Honor. It means your judgement, experience and....care for company equipment......was much higher than that low-paid, daylight 9 to 5, plush-bottomed dispatcher sitting in his overly warm chair....
.....whose Life, Livelihood, and Driving record wasn't on the line.......

Easy to...dispatch someone out in icy, slippery conditions,....Especially when you...risk nothing.........

That's why they paid you the.....Big Bucks.......More than your Driving Skills,...your Judgement of Conditions, and willingness to handle ALL the Liability, once off Company Property,.....
....Those are the main reasons you were compensated much higher than the Deadwood sitting behind the Dispatch desk.....

You and I are Retired,.........and I'll bet you've received more than a few..."offers"....to drive Truck for some Fly-By-Night.....

And I know you tell them just what I tell them..........."You Can't Afford Me..."
I know of 2 drivers who had minor wrecks that still lost time because the Fort told the TM to do so. So I ask again WHY should a driver risk his life, income, & the life of the motoring public over a piece of freight that needs to be delivered? How many times have you come to work, driven in bad weather, & upon your arrival @ the customer, the place was closed, or you couldn't get to the dock because of the snow? von.

I know of 2 drivers who had minor wrecks that still lost time because the Fort told the TM to do so. So I ask again WHY should a driver risk his life, income, & the life of the motoring public over a piece of freight that needs to be delivered? How many times have you come to work, driven in bad weather, & upon your arrival @ the customer, the place was closed, or you couldn't get to the dock because of the snow? von.
Too many to count.