ABF | Driver-facing Cameras

Just put tape over it. Problem solved.
I actually did that to the hand-held camera lens...black electrical tape...hard to see it on there too. Brought my roll of tape in one day with an Exacto knife. I’m no Rembrandt, but was pretty proud of the sculpting job I did to get the tape to match all the contours around the lens. Never heard a word in all the time I had it on there leading up to my retirement. Oh, and it might have been done on ‘company’ time.

That is, if the gophers haven’t destroyed the course. Or, the guy chasing them.

Dang it!....Now I have a visual image of Chevy Chase, Bill Murray, and Ted Knight.....negotiating over driver-facing cameras........

Prepare for random explosions..........And Rodney Dangerfield...."Hey Everybody! We're all going to...Get Laid!..."

Wonder how the meeting between Union and company about cameras went? Supposed to be today, right?
I look at this whole fiasco like this.......they can put a camera in my truck (and I won't complain about it) as soon as they put a tracker on my manager, put a camera in the office to make sure he is working when he is there, make him punch a time clock, then he may have to explain his three hour lunches!

Got my ABF Bylines paper today........They are touting the driver-facing cameras in the new ordered equipment....They SAY that they can "exonerate" a driver in the event of an accident.

Good Sales Pitch.........But you're dealing with Truck Drivers.....we're not as dumb as we look......

I'll bet Dollars to Doughnuts that for every......"exoneration"........there will be at least 100 "disciplines" handed out ..for "company-unauthorized" behavior......

....Not that the people developing the "discipline"....actually have any Driving experience themselves,......or even knowing what they're looking at....

But if they can develop a database of continued and endemic "driver malfeasance".........that should help alleviate any liability in the event of a large accident with a potential cash payout. Proof that the......"driver"......was responsible.

And today on the news,...I saw two stories where truck drivers were held for court because of accidents they were involved with......

Good Luck with your new Liability-Reducing Toy............

Got my ABF Bylines paper today........They are touting the driver-facing cameras in the new ordered equipment....They SAY that they can "exonerate" a driver in the event of an accident.

Good Sales Pitch.........But you're dealing with Truck Drivers.....we're not as dumb as we look......

I'll bet Dollars to Doughnuts that for every......"exoneration"........there will be at least 100 "disciplines" handed out ..for "company-unauthorized" behavior......

....Not that the people developing the "discipline"....actually have any Driving experience themselves,......or even knowing what they're looking at....

But if they can develop a database of continued and endemic "driver malfeasance".........that should help alleviate any liability in the event of a large accident with a potential cash payout. Proof that the......"driver"......was responsible.

And today on the news,...I saw two stories where truck drivers were held for court because of accidents they were involved with......

I told Train, on the Saia site, months ago, I'm afraid this will be a requirement on all trucks in the future.
Won't happen in my lifetime, but they can watch robots drive their automated trucks.
Another good reason to stay far away from trucking jobs.

You still receive ByLines? I haven’t received it since I retired. Hmmmm.

You still receive ByLines? I haven’t received it since I retired. Hmmmm.

You mustn't be....."on the list".....I am.."on the list"......Probably on several..."lists"....I suspect right at the top of several..."lists"...

Seriously,....I'm surprised you aren't getting it........I thought it was company policy to send it to retirees for two years,...and then give you the option to continue to receive it. Maybe you could request it.......
The thing I like is to track who is retiring...

On the back cover is Jeff Keller from Carlisle,042.....who gave a talk to the American Historical Truck Society....of which I am a member......Jeff is a great guy,.....and coincidentially...he was at out terminal..(..GBG-310)..on the very last day I worked....

I enjoyed seeing that,....so that issue was worth it....

You mustn't be....."on the list".....I am.."on the list"......Probably on several..."lists"....I suspect right at the top of several..."lists"...

Seriously,....I'm surprised you aren't getting it........I thought it was company policy to send it to retirees for two years,...and then give you the option to continue to receive it. Maybe you could request it.......
The thing I like is to track who is retiring...

On the back cover is Jeff Keller from Carlisle,042.....who gave a talk to the American Historical Truck Society....of which I am a member......Jeff is a great guy,.....and coincidentially...he was at out terminal..(..GBG-310)..on the very last day I worked....

I enjoyed seeing that,....so that issue was worth it....
Oh, I’m ‘on the list’ alright. Probably the ‘dirt’ list. Yeah, I don’t know what happened, but I haven’t received any issues since I retired.

Wonder how the meeting between Union and company about cameras went? Supposed to be today, right?
Lets put it this way. Might as well stop bitching, the cameras are coming. Mo longer the days of our Union telling the Company what its going to do.. The other way around.. Tape, cover, etc will be letters, up to termination. disable in any way, etc..

Lets put it this way. Might as well stop bitching, the cameras are coming. Mo longer the days of our Union telling the Company what its going to do.. The other way around.. Tape, cover, etc will be letters, up to termination. disable in any way, etc..
Oops...you mean, I can’t hang my hat on it?

Wait,....We're Truck Drivers...."bitching"...is our DNA,...our Modus Operandi.......
Are you suggesting we give up just as the battle begins?

Our "leadership"...may be dragging their tail in the mud, fawning over the corporate executives,.....but that don't mean we have to adopt the same attitude...

Just get a cardboard cutout of yourself sitting in the seat, with both hands on the wheel, smiling, and strap it to the seat to block the real you lol

There's no law against driving with a disguise on your face......

Seriously, though....When they ask you,....."What are you hiding? Why do you oppose these "technological innovations"?...
Tell them you have just as much to...."hide"....as they do,....so let's mount the camera on your desk,...and allow stewards and BA's to wear bodycams at meetings with company officials.....

Let's see how that flies......

....(...even the police get to....switch...their bodycams and dash-mounted cameras on and...off....).........

Control your own destiny. Control video operations in the cab of YOUR truck. Become an owner operator. Camera issue solved. von.

Control your own destiny. Control video operations in the cab of YOUR truck. Become an owner operator. Camera issue solved. von.

I don't know Bro. Von......I was an O/O for 9 years,.....and the old saying about "Out of the Frying Pan..." comes to mind....

Besides,....just like E-logs, they will eventually force O/O's to put cameras in their own trucks,...or risk not getting insurance. Remember who is pushing for this,.....Insurance companies.......If it was up to the truck company owners,....we'd hardly have any gauges, no power steering, no air,.....and be sitting on an orange crate with foam rubber padding....(..USED foam rubber at that..)....

You and I are old enough to remember '70's freight trucks.......stripped down to the point of ludicrousness......If it was more profitable for them to have whale oil headlamps,....we would've been lighting them every night.........

Companies spend money to make things SAFE for drivers?........Are you kidding?.......Still no mandatory airbags in trucks.....Cost too much to possibly save a driver's life.....

But cameras?....and the cost?........Insurance companies told carriers to install them....to REDUCE the Liability exposure to the Insured Trucks.......

THAT'S what is most important to trucking companies........Lower Operating Costs.......in spite of all the mealy-mouthing about how a driver-facing camera might...."exonerate"....a driver....

Yeah, Right......Pull the Other One.......