XPO | Driver Facing Drivecams

Once we accumulate around 25 points in a 90 day period, you have a mandatory conference call between the SC manager, Safety manager, as well as yourself. Is this not common practice elsewhere?

Yes. We also have the come to Jesus meeting with SCM and SM if the point accumulation becomes too high in a given period.

What area are you guys in that do this?
I'm in the old CCX area and we do this as well. I've been talked to for "distracted driving" for adjusting my seatbelt shoulder strap as I was driving ( it was digging into my neck ) - I had a hand on steering wheel at all times and eyes on the road , driving an automatic city tractor.

I think the drivecams are here to stay , but the oversight ( transparency as far as who all exactly is reviewing videos ) needs to be overhauled if there's going to be discipline issued based on mystery people's evaluation.

I've been talked to for "distracted driving" for adjusting my seatbelt shoulder strap as I was driving ( it was digging into my neck ) - I had a hand on steering wheel at all times and eyes on the road , driving an automatic city tractor.
These are the examples of some jackwagon on the other end trying to meet a number or statistic for how many people they have "worked with" on safe driving. Complete foolishness in my opinion. The exact reason why drivers complain about having the cameras.
What next? No changing the radio station, drinking coffee, eating a snack, or adjusting your crushed/squashed Johnson?

I think the drivecams are here to stay, ......
For sure. Other forums are talking about their company getting them also.

I've been talked to for "distracted driving" for adjusting my seatbelt shoulder strap as I was driving ( it was digging into my neck ) - I had a hand on steering wheel at all times and eyes on the road , driving an automatic city tractor.
Why would that trigger an event? I thought you had to have some kind of "event" before it saved it and reported it

Why would that trigger an event? I thought you had to have some kind of "event" before it saved it and reported it
A bump , deceleration/acceleration , sudden change in direction , or stopping suddenly - it's hard to say when the camera will trigger and record. I've tried to gauge the sensitivity of my unit with hard-hooks , hard turns , hard braking , you get the picture , and it's not consistent in my truck.

For the record , all of these maneuvers done to test the drivecam system were done in a closed , safe environment , with no other people or vehicles involved.

I don't know if this is true or not , but: I've heard that each time an "event" is reviewed by the drivecam company , XPO Logistics/Con-way pays $5.

I find no problem with the peer review process , I just wish there was transparency with the outside drivecam company that goes through all of the uploaded "events". It could be anyone ( and probably is the cheapest person available ) looking at these "events".

What's good for the goose is good for the gander - put a version of drivecams in management vehicles and you will see the issues addressed.

I trip the camera probably a dozen times a day. Hard bumps, hitting a dock to hard, Hooking or dropping a trailer aggressively, etc.I can't imagine getting angry every time it goes off like others have said. I've been here three years, and I've had 2 coaching events. To me, the camera isn't even an issue. When I was hired, I was told the only discipline was distracted driving like using a cell phone without hands free or looking at the handheld, and seat belt violations. I have no problem being held accountable to the law.

A bump , deceleration/acceleration , sudden change in direction , or stopping suddenly - it's hard to say when the camera will trigger and record. I've tried to gauge the sensitivity of my unit with hard-hooks , hard turns , hard braking , you get the picture , and it's not consistent in my truck.

For the record , all of these maneuvers done to test the drivecam system were done in a closed , safe environment , with no other people or vehicles involved.

I don't know if this is true or not , but: I've heard that each time an "event" is reviewed by the drivecam company , XPO Logistics/Con-way pays $5.

I find no problem with the peer review process , I just wish there was transparency with the outside drivecam company that goes through all of the uploaded "events". It could be anyone ( and probably is the cheapest person available ) looking at these "events".

What's good for the goose is good for the gander - put a version of drivecams in management vehicles and you will see the issues addressed.
My question is why would adjusting your seat belt or scratching your nuts trigger an event?

So what happened that it triggered an event?

So what happened that it triggered an event?
It most likely was a bump in the road. No accidents. Not following too close for the speed that I was maintaining and the surrounding conditions.

This is something I've done thousands of times. I'm not upset , mad or angry about it , our system just needs to be fine tuned to eliminate frivolous issues like this. As more people encounter these silly issues and information spreads , I'm reasonably sure it will be addressed , maybe even fixed.

I have no problem being held accountable to the law.
Same here. And I've always had this little desire to make it home to my family in one piece each day. So getting kicked in the gonads once in a while might mean that we weren't following the safest driving procedures, and need to refocus on safe driving techniques.
Personally, I wouldn't just be following safe driving practices for the company's sake, I would be doing it for my own sake.

Yeah IP... and make sure that they are both outward AND driver facing cameras.

Three coachable events for me since they put the damned thing in the tractors, whatever. I couldn't give two S's and an F.

I've had two or three seatbelt violations on drivecam. And when I've seen it in told the coacb, "that's such and such place, that's their private driveway" and they have said, "oh, ok, I'll get that one removed."

If you're coach isn't doing that, he's wrong.

I also had one for not being belted on a roadway, a road i was backing into a residential dirt driveway. I said, "I have it off to hang out the window like you see me there. I took it off as I put it in reverse for a better view." That one was also removed.

Also had a couple I deserved.

This isn't a problem with the system, it sounds like a problem with the coaches.

But that's the problem, it's subjective...