XPO | Driver Facing Drivecams

really the only people having problems with the cameras are believe this or not the bad driver's.If your one of the calm driver who doesn't think your a nascar driver you will never have a single light go off.
I set mine off a lot, but I've never been talked to about having done anything wrong.

If your trainer is held to a higher standard, then maybe XPO should pay them more per hour I know Con-way did nothing for them.

If you pay trainers more, you'd have to make that a bid position. If you make it a bid position, it's probably going to go to senior drivers, and just because you've been around for 20 years or have X million miles doesn't mean you're any good at teaching. It's really a job that should go to someone who wants to do it. But look, the reality of it is that every terminal isn't going to have that- and someone has to do the job.

I think people spend way too much time thinking about who's doing the training and not enough time thinking about the goal of the training. If I'm on video with one second of following distance, does it really matter if the guy showing me the video has had 2 accidents in the last year? Just nod your head, back off on the road and move on with your life.

Just like Con-Way did nothing for the drivers who got trained on the computers and would run sectors if they were short on FOS's. Tons more responsibility but no extra pay. Yeah... no thanks.

"Tons more responsibility"? I don't think I'd agree with that. Most drivers are making more than the FOS, and all they're doing is the administrative portion, without having to deal with discipline or actually running the shift. So if you compare those lead guys to an FOS, they're doing a small portion of the job for more money. If you compare them to a driver, I would argue they don't have nearly as much responsibility as a P&D driver, so again, they're coming out ahead.

really the only people having problems with the cameras are believe this or not the bad driver's.If your one of the calm driver who doesn't think your a nascar driver you will never have a single light go off.

Exactly. It's no big deal to set the camera off if you're doing everything you're supposed to. Those that are following too closely, using electronic devices or not wearing seatbelts on public roads (consciously choosing to do things they're know they're not supposed to) are the ones that have the biggest issues with the cameras.

You could set the camera off ten times a day and as long as you're heads up, hands on the wheel, and aware of you're surroundings, you would likely never have a scored event that would require a coaching session

"Tons more responsibility"? I don't think I'd agree with that. Most drivers are making more than the FOS, and all they're doing is the administrative portion, without having to deal with discipline or actually running the shift. So if you compare those lead guys to an FOS, they're doing a small portion of the job for more money. If you compare them to a driver, I would argue they don't have nearly as much responsibility as a P&D driver, so again, they're coming out ahead.
I agree but, you also have to factor in the fact that these guys are put in a pretty uncomfortable position. They need to use some level of authority to be effective leaders, yet they are dealing with their peers. If everyone plays nice, it goes well. If the lead person gets a swollen head, it sucks for his peers. If the lead person does a good job but the drivers are disrespectful or resentful, it sucks for the lead.

They are doing their own job and part of the FOS's job, but not getting paid any more for the added responsibility. Not sure how you think that is "coming out ahead".

Just a way for the company to get more work done without having to actually pay for it.

They are doing their own job and part of the FOS's job, but not getting paid any more for the added responsibility. Not sure how you think that is "coming out ahead".

Just a way for the company to get more work done without having to actually pay for it.
well they need us drivers to do their jobs! last friday i worked almost 3 hrs on my dock loading up our zones when i get a call from scm "hey i need you you to go to xpp and grab their trailers and take them to xsx" i don't know who dropped the ball on that! the ball was also dropped at xpi,i found out at 4am when i finally made it to xsx <the xnw drivers weren't to impressed either>that a xpp driver had to go to xpi to fix that mistake!!! us drivers are relied on to fix other peoples mistakes.so my 9hr FRIDAY run turned into 14 1/2 hrs because of someone's else's failure!and why is it it seems to always happen on fridays?

well they need us drivers to do their jobs! last friday i worked almost 3 hrs on my dock loading up our zones when i get a call from scm "hey i need you you to go to xpp and grab their trailers and take them to xsx" i don't know who dropped the ball on that! the ball was also dropped at xpi,i found out at 4am when i finally made it to xsx <the xnw drivers weren't to impressed either>that a xpp driver had to go to xpi to fix that mistake!!! us drivers are relied on to fix other peoples mistakes.so my 9hr FRIDAY run turned into 14 1/2 hrs because of someone's else's failure!and why is it it seems to always happen on fridays?

At least you got a good nights pay out of it.

At Conway......NO. And trust me when I tell you, it takes a set of gonads for a "coach" to stand up against a driver that thinks he was in the right, when by rule or law, he was not. And yes......confrontations can pop up during these situations, so yes, a set of gonads is required.
Don't take it personal, that's not my intent, but trust me......been there done it.

In my mind, it would take a fool who has never driven a truck before to write up a driver for not having their seat belt on, on private property. Every driver knows that a seat belt is a distraction when trying to back up quickly in tight quarters.

I don't know how long you've been driving at Conway/XPO, but I surely wouldn't worry about a few of them unless they were big ones.
I suppose it depends on who ask, but does 'XPO law' supercede traffic laws? I'm referring to the 'not wearing a seat belt on PRIVATE property' from above. Law enforcement cannot cite you for that because you're on private property! Seems like an open-and-shut case to me. And I agree...seatbelts are a MAJOR distraction, and very restrictive, when backing at an angle.

I suppose it depends on who ask, but does 'XPO law' supercede traffic laws? I'm referring to the 'not wearing a seat belt on PRIVATE property' from above. Law enforcement cannot cite you for that because you're on private property! Seems like an open-and-shut case to me. And I agree...seatbelts are a MAJOR distraction, and very restrictive, when backing at an angle.
I was told Conway superceded DOT securement regulations by a safety mgr. Some people think paper rolls wont slide.

It's called 'Murphy's Law' Rabbit. Happens to me all the time on Fridays...so console yourself that you're not the only one.

police can ticket you on private property, i knew someone who did a burnout on private property and got a reckless operation citation. grant it, the seatbelt would prob not get a ticket until you pulled on the road but anything is possible.

I know of a driver who was told " there is a difference between federal law and Conway law."

They're making more money than an FOS and they only have to do a portion of the work of an FOS. It's not like all of a sudden he's responsible for production numbers and labor costs and cut times. They won't fire him for not doing a good job as an FOS. So, yeah, I'd say he's getting a pretty good deal when you're talking about pay.

That makes no sense. You're not hooking and running the dockstand at the same time. You don't run down the highway and close down trailers at the same time. Just like when you're working the dock you don't break trailers and run a peddle at the same time. There's no additional work being done- you're just doing a different task, and you're doing it at a higher wage than the FOS's and dockworkers. How are you being cheated?

police can ticket you on private property, i knew someone who did a burnout on private property and got a reckless operation citation. grant it, the seatbelt would prob not get a ticket until you pulled on the road but anything is possible.
Just by chance, was he one of 'The Dukes Of Hazzard'?

I suppose it depends on who ask, but does 'XPO law' supercede traffic laws?
I don't care what XPO's seatbelt rule is, I just know that I wouldn't worry about it. If they want to fire drivers for not wearing their seat belts on private property, they could be the dumbest company that's ever existed. It's hard enough to find drivers with good driving records and good work ethic as it is, so if they are dumb enough to fire people for this seat belt issue, they deserve to have freight sitting along the fence with not enough drivers to move it.

And I agree...seatbelts are a MAJOR distraction, and very restrictive, when backing at an angle.
:1036316054:
I'm all for teaching drivers to be better drivers, but this seat belt issue is too petty and can easily become the cause of a backing accident.

I've had two or three seatbelt violations on drivecam. And when I've seen it in told the coacb, "that's such and such place, that's their private driveway" and they have said, "oh, ok, I'll get that one removed."

If you're coach isn't doing that, he's wrong.

I also had one for not being belted on a roadway, a road i was backing into a residential dirt driveway. I said, "I have it off to hang out the window like you see me there. I took it off as I put it in reverse for a better view." That one was also removed.

Also had a couple I deserved.

This isn't a problem with the system, it sounds like a problem with the coaches.