XPO | driver layoffs

They wanted to cut the overtime by hiring more guys but now look .... they are laying off. In my opinion I feel it would have been cheaper to pay the overtime rather than the hiring process ... the orientation ... benefits ..... etc etc

I think we over hired as a whole because of the manpower shortages last year.
Now that we were ready for the freight the freight is nowhere to be found. (pricing)
I think no one wants to pay our prices unless they need the freight shipped now or the customer choosed us as the preferred carrier, otherwise companies are getting smarter and ordering ahead of time.
Preimium service can only go so far. I think we need to give For a Limited time: "Year end discounts" to our customers in exchange for more freight.

wonderring99 said:
They wanted to cut the overtime by hiring more guys but now look .... they are laying off. In my opinion I feel it would have been cheaper to pay the overtime rather than the hiring process ... the orientation ... benefits ..... etc etc
I think the overhiring backfired. Should of put pricing into the equation.

Dockworker said:
I think the overhiring backfired. Should of put pricing into the equation.

I definately believe the overhiring. Gee now we have to many guys .... now what we are gonna do? I would be willing to bet quite a few of these guys jumped from jos making 2 to 3 dollars less an hour but were working 50 - 60 hours and had an 8 oclock start time to come and play conways game. Now they are laid off. I feel sorry for these drivers.

i feel sorry for all these guys also.....most of them gave up decent jobs and a year or two of there time to try it the conway way ...i think it was a mistake to hire all the extra manpower to begin with... alot of other companies have tried this same aproach ,,,only to go back to the old way of letting drivers get a little overtime ... i look at it this way , most people are going to bust butt to get it done if they have plenty to do , but if you spread it too thin what happens ??? you guessed it !! they go a little slower ,talk with customers etc.. etc..i would rather be extra busy than try hard to get 8 hours !! see ya

fatbeards dream

i heard it was fatbeards idea that ot can be kept under 3% and we would be more profitable. can you say backfire. hire/layoff sure will make it easy to attract people in the future. there are companies that are still growing or expanding and looking for good people. coming in to historically the busiest day of the year the day before thanksgiving will be a bummer. no one allowed off , no freight= no hours for those of us that wanted to be off. thanks fatbeard,

It's a funny thing, because over at FXFreight they did the same thing, hired alot of driver's and now there is not enough work for everyone. This seems to be a trend at alot of the ltl companies, do you think maybe the powers that be were expecting another company to close there doors, or some other event that hasn't happened yet?

I have been reading these post for 5 months now. I have to say I am quite disapointed with the negitive, Whining, crybaby BS. For those of you that dont like working at Con-Way, leave so i can have my job back! I left a solid job for Con-way only to be laid off 5 months later. Someone tell my family why i cant support them like i used to when i want to work but cant. ( I,m sorry, my 7 year old daughter, but daddy cant buy you anything for christmas this year) It's not that i dont want to, it's that im not working, even though i want to and i liked my job, it's that i was Economicly Terminated, due to no fault of my own. But whats odd is that there is an untold number of people there who dont want to be there and do nothing but whine and cry about being " stuck there" and how much it sucks working there. Yes my child if they left , Since they hate it so much, i would have a job. But I DONT. Maybe if everyone had a better attitude that company would grow and continue to support us. But we live in this world and thats the way it is. Im sorry! Merry Christmas.

needshelp43 said:
I have been reading these post for 5 months now. I have to say I am quite disapointed with the negitive, Whining, crybaby BS. For those of you that dont like working at Con-Way, leave so i can have my job back! I left a solid job for Con-way only to be laid off 5 months later. Someone tell my family why i cant support them like i used to when i want to work but cant. ( I,m sorry, my 7 year old daughter, but daddy cant buy you anything for christmas this year) It's not that i dont want to, it's that im not working, even though i want to and i liked my job, it's that i was Economicly Terminated, due to no fault of my own. But whats odd is that there is an untold number of people there who dont want to be there and do nothing but whine and cry about being " stuck there" and how much it sucks working there. Yes my child if they left , Since they hate it so much, i would have a job. But I DONT. Maybe if everyone had a better attitude that company would grow and continue to support us. But we live in this world and thats the way it is. Im sorry! Merry Christmas.

I'm sorry to hear your story but it is not just Conway with the lay-offs. Every one of the LTL companies have lots of drivers laid off. It is the economy. The only reason you hear guys complaining is thats what drivers do. This is a forum for those drivers to vent. I too am in the same situation as you worrying about Christmas for my kids when all I can afford right now is to keep the roof over my head. I will keep a prayer for you driver and hope things get better soon.

thank you det-rob for the hoesty...everyone hates to see layoffs...its not because of crybabies and whiners....its the economy...sort of supply and demand ...like housing right now ..most property values are down cause the economy sucks right now..at least if there is one good part of it most anyone can get a job if they have a good cdl..

It's a funny thing, because over at FXFreight they did the same thing, hired alot of driver's and now there is not enough work for everyone. This seems to be a trend at alot of the ltl companies, do you think maybe the powers that be were expecting another company to close there doors, or some other event that hasn't happened yet?
Yes around here they have told numerous times in the last two years that Central Freight lines were going to close and they wanted to be ready for the large influx of tonnage.Now they have been bought by an ex CEO of theirs and are going to be a private company.

Conway laid me off and I'm glad they did. Got on with UPSF as a road driver. More pay (.44/mi to start), nicer trucks (Volvos with cruise and radios etc), fully funded pension plan, full time work, and the best part is I'm treated with some degree of respect. Conway treats you like crap, especially flex board drivers who are treated as second class citizens. Thanks again Conway, I couldn't be happier.:smilie_132:

i woulda been laid off had i not bailed. the writing was on the wall, i read it. now i'm #1 driver at my new company. THANKS FATBEARD!!!

PS-- the terminal manager at XCL told a senior driver that nemf was coming to town, and that driver told me. THANKS GENE C.!!!

:hysterical: :smilie_132:
Conway laid me off and I'm glad they did. Got on with UPSF as a road driver. More pay (.44/mi to start), nicer trucks (Volvos with cruise and radios etc), fully funded pension plan, full time work, and the best part is I'm treated with some degree of respect. Conway treats you like crap, especially flex board drivers who are treated as second class citizens. Thanks again Conway, I couldn't be happier.:smilie_132:

Let us know what it is like in a year... than you may talk smack if you still like it.

Let us know what it is like in a year... than you may talk smack if you still like it.
In a year he will be doing just fine.Why would you slam a man who is upset about being layed off.How would you feel in his shoe's if Queenie treated you like that if you were in his shoe's.Did he say anything that was false.How about them packers.

In a year he will be doing just fine.Why would you slam a man who is upset about being layed off.How would you feel in his shoe's if Queenie treated you like that if you were in his shoe's.Did he say anything that was false.How about them packers.

I have been laid off ... it sucks. I accepted it for what it was. I did not go and whine about it to get people to feel sorry for me and my family. If he is happy there than God Bless him. I have worked at other trucking companies and I never seen a greener grass on the other side of the fence. That is why I asked him that. Each company has its own good and bad. Conway has its good and its bad. I have my own opinoins whats good and I have my own opinions what is bad. As for the packers ... they are doing better than I thought they were going to do. As for the Bears. Even though I live in southern wis I still follow and root for chicago teams. So I am glad and not surprised on how well the Bears are doing.