XPO | driver layoffs

I have been laid off ... it sucks. I accepted it for what it was. I did not go and whine about it to get people to feel sorry for me and my family. If he is happy there than God Bless him. I have worked at other trucking companies and I never seen a greener grass on the other side of the fence. That is why I asked him that. Each company has its own good and bad. Conway has its good and its bad. I have my own opinoins whats good and I have my own opinions what is bad. As for the packers ... they are doing better than I thought they were going to do. As for the Bears. Even though I live in southern wis I still follow and root for chicago teams. So I am glad and not surprised on how well the Bears are doing.
The grass must be greener for him.He's working at the other place.

The only way Conway is a good job is if you're at top pay with a nice bid. However it takes 5 yrs and 3 mos to get there. After 12-18 mos on the flex board you get a 12 or 1 PM dock bid for another year. But even though it sucked I was willing to do it for the great pay, benefits and company pension. Well they eliminated me and the pension on the same day. So if a driver was choosing between Conway and full time driving work elsewhere, why would they pick Conway? IMHO there is no real incentive for a new guy to put up with the crap. Dayton, FXF, UPSF, all pay overtime and have medical, 401k etc. In the case of UPSF they even have a pension and only 3 yrs to top pay. Not to mention the union barns, at least after paying you're dues you're at top pay in two years with the best bennies and pension around. I was frustrated when Conway let me go, I tried hard and I wanted to be there...but all things happen for a reason and I feel I'm in a better place. Conway's flex board is OK for a kid but its no place for a family man trying to earn a living. They aren't "that much above everyone else" to justify it. Its a good job after 5 years but to me its just not worth it. And I cant say enough about how much nicer it is in a late model Volvo with AC, cruise, am fm etc vs. a spring ride 800k mi sterling.:cool:

gfy,
I know you get it, you da man!

RevItUP,
You just hit the nail on the head with why we can't keep new hires. Well atleast one main reason. (treatment aside)
One thing I'll say is that there are other jobs out there that have more appealing star-up pay and benefits, quicker time to topscale.
I for one cannot understand why it takes 5 years and 3 months to get to top scale. Even in a perfect world compared to other companies this is utterly sick.
You're right, this job is definitely for a single person or someone with an empty nest.

I'm sorry and I try to be pro Con-way put this problem needs to be addressed before we lose more people to the competition.
Last year we were busy and short of drivers, this year we were ready to tackle any extra tonnage with more drivers.
Well, business levels became unexpectedly slow. (regardless of what happened or how it got slow. thats another speculative topic all in its own)
Bottom line is we are uncomfortably slow and most terminals over hired this year.
One big clue is our Black-out days have been opened up to senior drivers wanting time off so the junior guys can run.
That mighty Lay-Off sword is coming to a terminal near you. Some of our competition is sharpening their blades as well.

This is a season of unpredictable uncertainty for us all. It sucks to be the bottom man with a family at any company when levels are this low.
I hope we do not layoff any driver this year!!

The only way Conway is a good job is if you're at top pay with a nice bid. However it takes 5 yrs and 3 mos to get there. After 12-18 mos on the flex board you get a 12 or 1 PM dock bid for another year. But even though it sucked I was willing to do it for the great pay, benefits and company pension. Well they eliminated me and the pension on the same day. So if a driver was choosing between Conway and full time driving work elsewhere, why would they pick Conway? IMHO there is no real incentive for a new guy to put up with the crap. Dayton, FXF, UPSF, all pay overtime and have medical, 401k etc. In the case of UPSF they even have a pension and only 3 yrs to top pay. Not to mention the union barns, at least after paying you're dues you're at top pay in two years with the best bennies and pension around. I was frustrated when Conway let me go, I tried hard and I wanted to be there...but all things happen for a reason and I feel I'm in a better place. Conway's flex board is OK for a kid but its no place for a family man trying to earn a living. They aren't "that much above everyone else" to justify it. Its a good job after 5 years but to me its just not worth it. And I cant say enough about how much nicer it is in a late model Volvo with AC, cruise, am fm etc vs. a spring ride 800k mi sterling.:cool:

gfy,
I know you get it, you da man!

Just remember you hired on as bottom guy over there. It could happen to you again.

I dont always dwell on the negative. I am (was) stating my own OPINIONS about what you have posted. In one of my posts I did say if you are happy there God Bless. I suggest you to read my posts a lil more carefully before you declare with your own opinion that I dwell on the negative.

As stated many times, we are everyone else's cheapest truck driving school. If you take every post on this thread and replace the word "lay-off" with "economic termination", you'll see we are not owners or assets in the eyes of management, sadly, only an expensive necessity.
Truck driving is a profession. And RevItUp has exercised his option to take his ability and hang his shingle on someone else's wall.

Good luck and have a great Thanksgiving with your family!

As stated many times, we are everyone else's cheapest truck driving school.

I actually believe this. Many drivers from other LTL companies have come up to me and said this same thing as well as our own drivers noticing it.
"Come to Con-way and get your CDL and than make sure to leave after one year, You'll get the experience as well as avoiding an early withdrawal penalty" I was so embarassed to hear that.

Like I said before, we need to have this area restructured because the competition is taking our guys away!!

Oh yah..........back to the politically corrected topic: Economic Terminations aka Lay Offs

As stated many times, we are everyone else's cheapest truck driving school. If you take every post on this thread and replace the word "lay-off" with "economic termination", you'll see we are not owners or assets in the eyes of management, sadly, only an expensive necessity.
Truck driving is a profession. And RevItUp has exercised his option to take his ability and hang his shingle on someone else's wall.

Good luck and have a great Thanksgiving with your family!

In these times you have to do what you need to for you and yours. Good luck and GOD BLESS

"Oh yah..........back to the politically corrected topic: Economic Terminations aka Lay Offs"

oh contrar grasshopper... economic termination means you're not invited back when things improve, but you could apply all over again
or...
take what's behind door number two... an ACME home lobotomy kit!

"Oh yah..........back to the politically corrected topic: Economic Terminations aka Lay Offs"

oh contrar grasshopper... economic termination means you're not invited back when things improve, but you could apply all over again
or...
take what's behind door number two... an ACME home lobotomy kit!

Acme ... a product of wiley coyote ...super genious ... HAHAHAHAHAHA:hysterical:

im happy for those drivers that get "let go" and find there is life after conway !! belive it.....people talk about being happier at another company... i like to hear it...ive seen a couple of them working at another company and they tell me they start early and have a great pedal run ...i just want to stay positive and say conway isnt the perfect company ..its just one of the fine companies out there...who knows what could happen ten or fifteen years down the road ?? we might be alot bigger or smaller..or they could shut the doors !!! gasp...did i say that ..its all a crap shoot isnt it..see ya