XPO | Driver Pay

XCCX

TB Legend
Credits
I’m gonna put it out there and some will call me off my rocker but with the current driver shortage and demand for drivers no LTL driver should be earning less than $ 38.00 or equivalent in miles an hour . If customers want the service they demand their going to have to pay up . Licensing, driver clearing houses and long hours are distracting new candidates from entering this trade . Companies will dredge the bottom for now but will hit the wall if they haven’t already.
Drastic change is needed.

I’m gonna put it out there and some will call me off my rocker but with the current driver shortage and demand for drivers no LTL driver should be earning less than $ 38.00 or equivalent in miles an hour . If customers want the service they demand their going to have to pay up . Licensing, driver clearing houses and long hours are distracting new candidates from entering this trade . Companies will dredge the bottom for now but will hit the wall if they haven’t already.
You are right ! We had a new guy quit after 12 days . Wifey didn’t like him getting home so late ! City run and home between 8:30 & 9:30 . It’s getting crazy , all and I mean all of my customers are looking for help .

The hours in trucking are hideous and always have been. You work your life away for average pay . Less than average if you consider how much you make for the hours worked. Maybe higher pay rates would eliminate the need to work so many hours and possibly make it more attractive to others . Something has to give because scraping the bottom ant thinking you can manage a lesser quality employee under video servalance both on the dock and in the cab is not working.

Part of the problem with stagnant wages, originates from immigrant, and CDL mill produced drivers, used by large truckload carriers that are used by LTL’s as purchased transportation. Along with the push by companies like Amazon, enticing people to become independent contractors, promising them big money, and most are making the equivalent of mileage pay in the mid 30 cent range, or 12-15 dollars an hour. There will always be companies with high driver turnover, paying crap wages.

Actually with our May 1st raise…at .71 cents per mile at an average speed of 60 mph…. (Linehaul anyway) makes over that equivalent….. just over 42.00 per hour. But yes that’s mileage which is more important to line haul than city drivers. $30 per hour to drive a go cart and push a few boxes around for two hours on FAC ain’t nothing to sneeze at…then you go back to $42 per hour on your drive home. Try and make that at some other job.

City drivers do need to make a bit more…at least $33 …. Maybe some day.

Actually with our May 1st raise…at .71 cents per mile at an average speed of 60 mph…. (Linehaul anyway) makes over that equivalent….. just over 42.00 per hour. But yes that’s mileage which is more important to line haul than city drivers. $30 per hour to drive a go cart and push a few boxes around for two hours on FAC ain’t nothing to sneeze at…then you go back to $42 per hour on your drive home. Try and make that at some other job.

Thought raise took effect may 30

You are correct about the line haul difference. Let me restate my original post . $38.00 city and proportionate difference for line haul which would be well north of $42.00. I stand corrected on the line haul part .

I have to say there is no way you are averaging 60mph in an XPO truck. Maybe if you still have a 70mph one then you might have a chance. Using an average of 50 is more like it and even that can be pushing it.

You are correct about the line haul difference. Let me restate my original post . $38.00 city and proportionate difference for line haul which would be well north of $42.00. I stand corrected on the line haul part .
When I take out my 30min break from the time I start to I log out I average between $31 to $36 per hour. That taking into account my mileage pay plus clock time including the dock time. The biggest effect on this amount is traffic, construction, weather and anything else that effects road and driving conditions.

When I take out my 30min break from the time I start to I log out I average between $31 to $36 per hour. That taking into account my mileage pay plus clock time including the dock time. The biggest effect on this amount is traffic, construction, weather and anything else that effects road and driving conditions.
Yeah ...Lol . When everything is perfect and the stars Align with Jupiter and you take no breaks your still far from 38.00

Yeah ...Lol . When everything is perfect and the stars Align with Jupiter and you take no breaks your still far from 38.00
There was a time when LH driver made way more then any city driver. It was to comp for working nights.
Also wanted to point out to Darwin that $42 per hr for LH not happening in an XPO truck

Though I'm not a fan of CNN, but this article is just a glimpse into the future. Now it only covers gas, but other reports are warning that everything will be at risk. With the average age now a 58 for a truck driver up from 55 a few years ago. Who would have thought that even the big union carriers would be running CDL school, offering signing bonus, top rate at day one, to name a few.
All those years of hearing Truckdriver are a dime a dozen, TM's with stacks of apps on his desk and driver beating the door down to get in are no more. These companies are trying every trick in the book and are getting no head way and they scratch there head not understanding why....The why is that this seed was planted a long time ago by the previous owners and mangers of these companies. So go and thank them for all the low pay, crappy hours, forced work, and job threatening they did. Now reach deep in that pocket and I mean really deep and start forking over what we deserve.
It has come to the point were the mangers are almost powerless. Threatening you with you job is almost laughable. If your CDL is clean any trucking company will pick you up in a heartbeat and start you out at top rate with benefits on day one.

Sorry got off on a rant here's the article

Last edited:
Though I'm not a fan of CNN, but this article is just a glimpse into the future. Now it only covers gas, but other reports are warning that everything will be at risk. With the average age now a 58 for a truck driver up from 55 a few years ago. Who would have thought that even the big union carriers would be running CDL school, offering signing bonus, top rate at day one, to name a few.
All those years of hearing Truckdriver are a dime a dozen, TM's with stacks of apps on his desk and driver beating the door down to get in are no more. These companies are trying every trick in the book and are getting no head way and they scratch there head not understanding why....The why is that this seed was planted a long time ago by the previous owners and mangers of these companies. So go and thank them for all the low pay, crappy hours, forced work, and job threatening they did. Now reach deep in that pocket and I mean really deep and start forking over what were deserve.
It has come to the point were the mangers are almost powerless. Threatening you with you job is almost laughable. If your CDL is clean any trucking company will pick you up in a heartbeat and start you out at top rate with benefits on day one.

Sorry got off on a rant here's the article
That is a great post...

City ot by me is over 46 per hour 31.70 per hour straight time
Yes your terminal was lucky and benefited from the metro pay that the company came in an offer you right before your pending vote to go union. They were found to be guilty of that charge by the labor board. Nevertheless you guys benefit from that .You guys are the highest paid XPO drivers that 31.70 an hour still not up to the $38 I believe in my opinion that we should be making. Companies are still avoiding paying us the correct amount of compensation and are still trying other methods to attract drivers rather than raising hourly rates. The OTR companies have been going through this for years long before LTL pay started to stagnate. Yet nothing not even lack of drivers has driven the OTR rate up to where it should be. OTR is still trying every trick in the book from letting your pets your spouse or same-sex partner travel the road with you .