Driver Support Downsizing

:nutkick: RE: The last edition (Er, 'most recent'), I should say, of the Jevic Dispatch, detailed comments from one of our customers comparing Jevic to other carriers. Most notably, he mentioned the 'cleanliness' of our fleet: 98 %, I believe. Where are we hiding these clean tractors and trailers? I believe Fleetwash is on

strike in the Charlotte Metro Region.:chairshot:

I also have 2 defunct carriers in my past. I have the benefit of being in our GO here at Jevic. I'm telling you that we're doing the right things for the right reasons. When we look at a customer, if it doesn't make profit, we make a decision to get it profitable.

Do you think we could get rid of Playmobil? We have no business trying to deliver to these toy stores.

I also have 2 defunct carriers in my past. I have the benefit of being in our GO here at Jevic. I'm telling you that we're doing the right things for the right reasons. When we look at a customer, if it doesn't make profit, we make a decision to get it profitable.

Do you think we could get rid of Playmobil? We have no business trying to deliver to these toy stores.

Actually, no. We got some nasty ones, but looking at the overall picture it's good. But I'm aware of the exact situation you're talking about in Beantown.

I wish you could see what the dock and drivers see when they are in the trenches everyday, but you would have to get out of Corprate and be down with the common folk, and let's face it you won't do that will ya? If we don't make money off of freight east of I-95, why do we build loads everyday that go out that way???? It seems like most of the drivers that post are company suck ups, you aren't hearing half the problems these guys have, but I hear them everyday. Like I said get in the trenches.

Your really not going to make many friends around here, before you go proclaiming yourself a sole survivor of a long lost war, maybe you should look at some of the other facilities and see how they work! there is a world outside of Atlanta, you talk about the trenches, you should come up to the North East for a week and see the guy's at J1 or J6 and check their work, Better yet take a trip out to Chicago, You got Dock and drivers out there loading trailers to get the freight out on time.
So it's not all doom and gloom right now, my stop's have been down since the new year, but not because of jevic! alot of my customers are exsperencing a lack orders or temparary shutdowns,, I'm sure most customer's don't want to hold alot of materials right now because of the economy.
Seee -:smilie_132:Ya

[I]I wish you could see what the dock and drivers see when they are in the trenches everyday, but you would have to get out of Corprate and be down with the common folk, and let's face it you won't do that will ya?[/I] If we don't make money off of freight east of I-95, why do we build loads everyday that go out that way???? It seems like most of the drivers that post are company suck ups, you aren't hearing half the problems these guys have, but I hear them everyday. Like I said get in the trenches.

Please don't presume to know anything about me. You're wasting your time.

It's time for a vacation Eugene

http://www.sounddogs.com/previews/3166/mp3/163389_SOUNDDOGS_Ha.mp3
click on and play

533111847574efd878brm5.jpg

it's time for that long hawaiian vacation you allways dreamed about Eugene

I If we don't make money off of freight east of I-95, why do we build loads everyday that go out that way????

Maybe that frt is a small percentage of the total amount that customer ships.If we get 10 bills daily,and 1 goes to a bad spot,is the account still profitable??? Probably.Gabby can answer that better than I can.

Example.My wife used to work at a sanitation outfit.On a commercial job site,ie strip mall,they would remove the construction debris for free in exchange for a multi year contract servicing the weekly garbage removal.Short term loss for a long term gain

Dealing with the bad for greater good

I'll say one thing, there are shippers out there, good shippers that will tell a carrier if you want to continue to get the good freight you will haul the freight that goes into the black hole!

I'll say one thing, there are shippers out there, good shippers that will tell a carrier if you want to continue to get the good freight you will haul the freight that goes into the black hole!

The answer to taking some bad for some good is mostly gray. It's not cut and dry whether something is or isn't profitable.
Will we handle bad lanes? or let a residential delivery sneak in? probably. We are out there with hammers in sales.

What we're looking at is how profitable a customer might or might not be and having conversation about how to make things better. Sometimes, it's asking for and securing more traffic into better lanes and not walking away from anything aat all.

It is hard work sometimes getting a customer to work with you. Thar's why godd salespeople are a premium. They have the ability to do that.

Driver Support???

Support??? That's a word big companies use when they want to recruit drivers and look good to their drivers...

Big Blue used to have a TOP NOTCH support team...when those in the palace next door listened...and had good economic times to listen and roll with the D/S reccomendations...there was money for all of that...

but now...it seems like the money crunch is causing big companies to cut departments that aren't...making money on paper...I dont think they do it on a personal agenda level...they gotta sleep at night too...they just have too many jerks from above even them...breathing down their necks and wanting more money and don't want to hear about a D/S department...

BUT YOU'RE RIGHT...when Charlie is on the job...there is SOME DAMN GOOD REPRESENTATION....when the bosses listen to his sound advice and you know...CHARLIE'S DRIVERS are always happy when he is "allowed" to represent them in a fair and open place...

Big companies only like men like Charlie when times are good and the men are busting their butts making the company tons of money...but as soon as economic crap hits the fan....the axe falls in the wrong place and it starts with not wanting drivers with representation...and then..."uh, we are eliminating the position...but thanks for the great work you've done...see ya'.

It stinks...

I think it was a poor decision to eliminate the D/S department there at Jevic...those people cared....and it made a HUGE difference to the drivers to have someone nuetral to call.

best of luck to Blue and the drivers.