Yellow | Driver Trainers

If you are referring to the instructors at the "school", it is salaried. $52,000 a year and access to the same fringe benefits as any other salaried YRCF employee. You must pay for any insurance out of that $1,000 a week salary. IMHO not worth it!

If you are referring to the instructors at the "school", it is salaried. $52,000 a year and access to the same fringe benefits as any other salaried YRCF employee. You must pay for any insurance out of that $1,000 a week salary. IMHO not worth it!
52,000 a year??? Bet if they brought back BB Chuck, he could get it hourly and make 52 a year just in OT!!!!

52,000 a year??? Bet if they brought back BB Chuck, he could get it hourly and make 52 a year just in OT!!!!
Hahahaha... We have a few who still do that. Their whole lives are spent at work.
Regret of waste when they get older will set in. Money is not everything. And for me 40 hours in that place is enough.

Oh. And one who does worked the whole holiday weekend. He is a switcher. He was hooking wrong trailers last night. We had to be aware all night. He has hurt people in the recent past. But. Still works lengthy days. He thinks because he is number one on the seniority list he can do what he wants. He is in his early 50's and has close to 35 years. Only job he has ever had I guess.

Last edited:

The instructors are not covered under contract then obviously. Are they retired yrcf drivers, or just off the street hired as trainers.

Last edited by a moderator:
The instructors are not covered under contract then obviously. Are they retired yrcf drivers, or just off the street hired as trainers.
I did interview for the job. What I posted was what I was told. I would have had to resign as a Teamster road driver. Then rehire as a nonunion saleried employee. And Local 710 informed me I would NOT be eligible to draw my pension while employed as an instructor.

I did interview for the job. What I posted was what I was told. I would have had to resign as a Teamster road driver. Then rehire as a nonunion saleried employee. And Local 710 informed me I would NOT be eligible to draw my pension while employed as an instructor.

Seems like those most qualified to train would be long tenured Teamsters who know the equipment, routes, work rules, company safety policies, etc., etc..

Even TL companies with their own training programs, use their own qualified drivers to instruct at their school.

Maybe they made it a salary job to neuter the influence of the Union, starting with the birth of a new driver.

Reactions: JDT
The last few road drivers they hired at my terminal lasted about 3 weeks. One could barely make his work call 2 days out of 3 for 211 bed turns , and the other rode a bike to work and would sleep in parked line haul trucks at the terminal. Cannot imagine trying to train or just hire these types...

The last few road drivers they hired at my terminal lasted about 3 weeks. One could barely make his work call 2 days out of 3 for 211 bed turns , and the other rode a bike to work and would sleep in parked line haul trucks at the terminal. Cannot imagine trying to train or just hire these types...

Maybe the thing to learn from this, is that there is an actual shortage of qualified drivers. Even at YRCW

Let's hope we all remember in 2019.

Maybe the thing to learn from this, is that there is an actual shortage of qualified drivers. Even at YRCW

Let's hope we all remember in 2019.
No. I still disagree on the so called driver shortage. Our so called ATA, and their political and industry lobbyists are doing their best to keep pushing for higher speed limits and longer work hours, so people have to put in more time and actually make less money and wonder why when it all comes down to it, 35,000 a year to start, and taking many more years to even get above 50,000 will not attract people. Have told high ups at our place, you wonder why you get people like I spoke of in my previous post? Yrc is going to have to bite the bullet eventually, and start experienced drivers with a good driving record at what our full rate is now, or they will continue to spin their wheels on hiring people to stay here...they also need to start talking with the union on what type pension plan, (401), or whatever to attract current younger, and new hires.

No. I still disagree on the so called driver shortage. Our so called ATA, and their political and industry lobbyists are doing their best to keep pushing for higher speed limits and longer work hours, so people have to put in more time and actually make less money and wonder why when it all comes down to it, 35,000 a year to start, and taking many more years to even get above 50,000 will not attract people. Have told high ups at our place, you wonder why you get people like I spoke of in my previous post? Yrc is going to have to bite the bullet eventually, and start experienced drivers with a good driving record at what our full rate is now, or they will continue to spin their wheels on hiring people to stay here...they also need to start talking with the union on what type pension plan, (401), or whatever to attract current younger, and new hires.

I agree on the ATA, however it is the employers who run and govern the ATA. The only thing we have is the Teamsters, and that "brotherhood" is what we make of it, or can make of it. I get as disgusted as any with the direction the Teamsters have gone.

Regardless, the shortage of qualified drivers is still there. Union and non Union, have problems attracting drivers who can do more than hold a steering wheel in LTL.

The bottom line is, the Teamsters Union no longer wants anything to do with LTL trucking.
You might be right. I would encourage any Teamster BA, or official reading this to debate the fact

fpGQKiS.jpg

You have to walk the line to be an actual certified CDL instructor in Illinois. No DUI ever. No felonies ever. No major tickets. Etc.

Holy crap, that's a long time to be sitting on a forklift.lol
I was allowed to switch for almost seven years before we merged. Thank goodness. I did have a commercial license for years but got to a point where my vision could not be corrected in one eye so I was disqualified. But RDWY thought it would be ok to switch.
Once we merged they said no. I didn't fight it. The yard is like a dirt road and has been and will never be paved over. But I would have gone nuts by now if I hadn't had that seven years off the dock.

I was allowed to switch for almost seven years before we merged. Thank goodness. I did have a commercial license for years but got to a point where my vision could not be corrected in one eye so I was disqualified. But RDWY thought it would be ok to switch.
Once we merged they said no. I didn't fight it. The yard is like a dirt road and has been and will never be paved over. But I would have gone nuts by now if I hadn't had that seven years off the dock.
Got ya.