SEFL | Driving for Southeastern?

Hurstbourne

TB Lurker
Credits
Could I please get the real scoop on driving for Southeastern?

Here's a little about where I'm coming from...

Been driving 15 years; no accidents ever; no tickets in the last 5 years. Currently employed with one of the more highly respected OTR company (3 years).

But I need to get home more often, at least once a week. And I need to maintain earnings over $50K.

Currently I stay out between 8 and 14 days. I live just 10 miles from Southeastern's new terminal in south Charlotte.

I've been told that Southeast won't talk to anyone on the phone...they only take apps on line.

Can someone please give me the real scoop on these guys?

I'm assuming you start out over the road and work your way into the more desirable line haul positions...like Florida and back.

I need to know if I need to renew my Haz Mat before applying...if I apply.

Any useful input would be appreciated. I don't want to let go of something that's paying the bills for something that won't.

Thanks,

HB

9 out of 10 times you will not start out over the road but, in the city. Alot of city drivers want to get into linehaul and SEFL will only take applications
online now. Home every weekend and making above 50k happens even as a city driver.

9 out of 10 times you will not start out over the road but, in the city. Alot of city drivers want to get into linehaul and SEFL will only take applications
online now. Home every weekend and making above 50k happens even as a city driver.

Thanks for the info. Does anyone know if they require Haz Mat?

You also have to have your doubles/triples endorsement. Regardless if you are a city driver or linehaul driver.

I have known many people over my years in Trucking that has worked or works for SEFL, If I left FXF and wanted to get back into LTL I would probably apply there.

Yes you have to have HAZMAT and use it often.

You also have to have your doubles/triples endorsement. Regardless if you are a city driver or linehaul driver.

Thanks guys. I had my Haz Mat for 13 years but just let it lapse a couple years back because I've been hauling food only lately. I better plan on picking it back up so they don't discard my application. I do stll have my doubles and triples endorsements.

HB

Could I please get the real scoop on driving for Southeastern?

Here's a little about where I'm coming from...

Been driving 15 years; no accidents ever; no tickets in the last 5 years. Currently employed with one of the more highly respected OTR company (3 years).

But I need to get home more often, at least once a week. And I need to maintain earnings over $50K.

Currently I stay out between 8 and 14 days. I live just 10 miles from Southeastern's new terminal in south Charlotte.

I've been told that Southeast won't talk to anyone on the phone...they only take apps on line.

Can someone please give me the real scoop on these guys?

I'm assuming you start out over the road and work your way into the more desirable line haul positions...like Florida and back.

I need to know if I need to renew my Haz Mat before applying...if I apply.

Any useful input would be appreciated. I don't want to let go of something that's paying the bills for something that won't.

Thanks,

HB

With your driving record you shouldn't have any problem getting hired at SEFL. Definitely I would get your Haz-Mat renewed. I'd apply to get your finger prints done and get that on your license before your interview!! The South Charlotte Terminal in one of our newest terminals in the system and its really nice. I've been with Southeastern about 7 years now and I like it alot. I started working on the dock and they trained me to get my cdls. Yes you can absolutely make at least 50k right away. You should be making more than that actually unless your lazy. You can apply and start out as either a Combo driver, P&D(city), or Linehaul. Linehaul doesn't mean you stay out all week, you could even be home everyday running to Atlanta every night for example. I hope this helps and Good Luck!!

Last edited by a moderator:
With your driving record you shouldn't have any problem getting hired at SEFL. Definitely I would get your Haz-Mat renewed. I'd apply to get your finger prints done and get that on your license before your interview!! The South Charlotte Terminal in one of our newest terminals in the system and its really nice. I've been with Southeastern about 7 years now and I like it alot. I started working on the dock and they trained me to get my cdls. Yes you can absolutely make at least 50k right away. You should be making more than that actually unless your lazy. You can apply and start out as either a Combo driver, P&D(city), or Linehaul. Linehaul doesn't mean you stay out all week, you could even be home everyday running to Atlanta every night for example. I hope this helps and Good Luck!!

I have known many people over my years in Trucking that has worked or works for SEFL, If I left FXF and wanted to get back into LTL I would probably apply there.

Thanks guys. I plan on applying. Will take my HazMat test next week when I'm home.

HB

you wont get hired to run linehaul here you got plenty of guys standing in line for there turn.

Where is "here", I work in one of the ATL's and we have hired several off the street guys straight to linehaul??

I have the same question..."Where is "here?"

Do you mean the south Charlotte terminal?

Or are you talking about the whole company?

Doesn't really matter anyway. I prefer applying for positions that are in demand. If they weren't popular, why would I want one?

Besides, I'm willing to do the less desirable stuff for awhile until a linehaul spot opens up. No problem.

HB

at smaller terminals they rarely hire guys off the street to run line haul. at the bigger terminals they may on occasion hire to run linelaul straight off the street. in this case these are left over runs which are probably bad runs. 100% of them are system runs where your gone all week. ive been here for awhile, i started as a p&d driver worked my way up the poll and in past few years i got my foot in the door, i was a fill in man for when guys were on vacation and were out. at the last bid we had 2 guys to retire and i was able to go full time. it takes many years to go to linehaul. when the door does open be prepared to run the system, most start out this way. everything is done by senortiry. and to south charlotte i dont believe they hire linehaul off the street, i know the atlantas do and the big ones out west.

and to make 50k as a p&d driver starting out with this company. good luck with that.

I appreciate your frankness. I don't want to let go of something that's paying the bills for something that doesn't.

By the way, are you saying that not everyone hired starts out full time? I remember when I was low guy with CCX back in the late 90's. There was one week when I only worked one night and a bunch of weeks when I only worked three nights.

Is there anyone who is familiar with South Chralotte who knows if new drivers off the street are guaranteed full time work?

Well, I passed my HazMat test. Just waiting for FBI background clearance now before I apply to Southeastern.

Can somebody tell me if new hirees can expect full time work from day one? I can't give up my present job if switching over means I only work when there's overflow work for relief drivers to do. I almost starved to death with CCX doing that back in the 90's.

I'm pretty sure you would be full time. I don't work there, but I looked on they're site and the terminal close to me is hiring for full time p&d drivers AND part time drivers. I applied myself.. Good luck to you!

I appreciate your frankness. I don't want to let go of something that's paying the bills for something that doesn't.

By the way, are you saying that not everyone hired starts out full time? I remember when I was low guy with CCX back in the late 90's. There was one week when I only worked one night and a bunch of weeks when I only worked three nights.

Is there anyone who is familiar with South Chralotte who knows if new drivers off the street are guaranteed full time work?

if your willing to come in and work the inbound dock, or stay late and work the outbound dock, you can make 50k to start. You will have to put in a lot of hours but you can make that kind of money. If your a hard worker, they will love you and you will have no problem getting those hours. BUT...if you come to SEFL and work hard, they will take advantage of you and use you till your back breaks and then some. So I caution you on working to hard at this company, simply because it doesn't get you anywhere but less time with your family.

if your willing to come in and work the inbound dock, or stay late and work the outbound dock, you can make 50k to start. You will have to put in a lot of hours but you can make that kind of money. If your a hard worker, they will love you and you will have no problem getting those hours. BUT...if you come to SEFL and work hard, they will take advantage of you and use you till your back breaks and then some. So I caution you on working to hard at this company, simply because it doesn't get you anywhere but less time with your family.

Do these dock positions pay $22.00 per hour for a new hiree? Or do newbies start out at a lower rate and work up to that?

Hurstbourne