droms

MikeJ

TB Veteran
Credits
Hi guys,
I have a question, out west you used to see a lot of these trucks called Droms, and they were pretty much used by bakeries like the now defunct Interstate Brands Company. The Drom I guess was like a freight box on the back of the tractor cab before the fifth wheel and then they would also attach a trailer to the truck.

Obviously bread doesn't weigh all that much, but there is a lot of it. Bread guys actually can have a very busy job, going to the store, taking the old bread off the shelves putting the new bread on the shelves and if it is a busy day you might visit the same store twice in one day.

Any how my question is what is the purpose of a drom and do they have like racks or shelves in them so they could load them up with hoho's or bread and I guess milk a little extra out of each trip (which I guess would be the major purpose.)

I have seen them as well on IBC trucks, IDK what they are for, mostly seen them on trucks that haul explosives.

I talked to some other guys, I guess they are used for cramming more cargo on the trucks. It's just cargo hauling space. What they said was bread is a fairly light commodity so what they figure is because bread is so light you mine as well squeeze as much as you can, so IBC had there long wheel base tractors made with Droms on them and have the Drom installed in front of the fifth wheel, that's how the feds define it. Basically what it, is I guess is a hybrid 10 wheel straight truck with a short cargo box and a fifth wheel. So they load the trailer, with bread and baked goods and then they load the Drom with bread and baked goods and the bread truck goes from the bakery to the bread terminal/day old bread store and unloads bread there and the littler bread trucks take the bread to the store.

I would guess that they are older trucks from back in the day when a 48 foot trailer was the longest you could run by law. Nowadays, there really isn't any length restrictions. The explosive trucks use dromedary boxes when they have two incompatible explosive shipments.

Guardrail