XPO | dumping freight?

6PakAbs

TB Veteran
Credits
First of all, this is not a slap @ Con-Way, but I heard you guys are 'dumping' a lot of freight. Is that the truth? Is it labor intensive accts?

We are doing the same as ALL other freight companies and businesses-we're always trying to get rid of the least profitable and most problematic customers. We are always trying to keep the very best freight , customers, and profit generators. :thumbsup:

And so is everybody else out their !!
Cut the price to get it and then find out it cost's them more to move it than they make on it. Snag a big account away from another carrier only to find out they don't pay their bills.

[quote author=mikkej2k link=topic=82381.msg851366#msg851366 date=1280118695]
We are doing the same as ALL other freight companies and businesses-we're always trying to get rid of the least profitable and most problematic customers. We are always trying to keep the very best freight , customers, and profit generators. :thumbsup:
[/quote] at least until we realize that we really dont have any sales people. then we will haul any thing !!

BTW THE GUY WHO WAS IN CHARGE OF THIS PRICE INCREASE IS ALSO NO LONGER WITH THE COMPANY...DEVINE I THINK HIS NAME IS?...SO YEA WE WILL BE KNOCKING BACK ON THEIR DOORS ASKING THEM FOR THEIR FREIGHT BACK ON OUR KNEES......

PATHETIC......

With all the freight they're dumping,they won't need as many drivers. But they don't really want to lay anybody off because then they would have to pay unemployment. At our barn they have giving drivers printouts of the information from their P/D runs taken off the handheld computer. They ask questions like why did you this long at a del. stop or why did it take you this many minutes to drive this many miles between stops. The drivers are required to put in writing their reasons and then turn it back in to the SCM. All the drivers have legitimate explanations but for some reason 3 or 4 of the drivers have actually been issued incident reports for "Poor performance in the P/D operation" and it goes on to say that "We will follow up with further disciplinary action up to and including termination" Usually an incident report will say that you violated a specific policy and that "further violations COULD result in further disciplinary action"This time they said that they WILL follow with further action. It's as if they have already made up their minds what they're going to do. Again, they don't want to lay people off so the mgr. can handpick who they want to ax. :rant:

Thats pretty scary spartan381, are you east or west coast? I hope my barn never comes to that. But I'm sure we are not far behind. My SCM loves to pour over "the numbers" and pull information from them. So I can see them doing the same with the handhelds information. In this company they either like you or they don't, period. I can see them putting a lot of pressure on drivers they feel are slacking and trying to corner them and make them look guilty for thing like taking 10 minutes to recoup themselves. Things like, taking a leak, freshening up, tucking in your shirt, getting a drink of water, and getting things back in general order in your cab. That's easily 10 minutes. But try telling them that. They always have ways to make you look guilty if they want too, just the same way they do with accidents. I have friends at other ltls that laugh at us and always ask me, "hey, why are you guys always running around like the UPS guys?" I make them laugh when I say, " because we are all training in hopes of getting a job over there.

[quote author=con-way man link=topic=82381.msg852749#msg852749 date=1280455592]
BTW THE GUY WHO WAS IN CHARGE OF THIS PRICE INCREASE IS ALSO NO LONGER WITH THE COMPANY...DEVINE I THINK HIS NAME IS?...SO YEA WE WILL BE KNOCKING BACK ON THEIR DOORS ASKING THEM FOR THEIR FREIGHT BACK ON OUR KNEES......

PATHETIC......
[/quote]

Why on earth would we do that??? We used to haul alot less freight and make alot more money. Whats the point of hauling freight that does not pay??? FedEx is already doing that better than we do. We need to get back to doing what we do best, hauling freight faster than the competition without damaging it and getting paid well for doing it. We used to be the most expensive ltl carrier because we were worth the price and shippers were willing to pay it. We were the Cadillac of the ltl's. Thats how it used to be and thats how its going to be again. :thumbsup:

[quote author=spartan381 link=topic=82381.msg852758#msg852758 date=1280456373]
With all the freight they're dumping,they won't need as many drivers. But they don't really want to lay anybody off because then they would have to pay unemployment. At our barn they have giving drivers printouts of the information from their P/D runs taken off the handheld computer. They ask questions like why did you this long at a del. stop or why did it take you this many minutes to drive this many miles between stops. The drivers are required to put in writing their reasons and then turn it back in to the SCM. All the drivers have legitimate explanations but for some reason 3 or 4 of the drivers have actually been issued incident reports for "Poor performance in the P/D operation" and it goes on to say that "We will follow up with further disciplinary action up to and including termination" Usually an incident report will say that you violated a specific policy and that "further violations COULD result in further disciplinary action"This time they said that they WILL follow with further action. It's as if they have already made up their minds what they're going to do. Again, they don't want to lay people off so the mgr. can handpick who they want to ax. :rant:
[/quote] Sounds like a BS story to me, what SC is this?

[quote author=heyjoe link=topic=82381.msg853087#msg853087 date=1280530850]
Sounds like a BS story to me, what SC is this?
[/quote] Philadelphia Region. The RM is behind it.

[quote author=spartan381 link=topic=82381.msg853097#msg853097 date=1280531764]
Philadelphia Region. The RM is behind it.
[/quote]So the RM knows the peddles,knows philly metro,I don't think so,prolly take a good five yrs to start to get to be a good peddle driver in philly metro.It's not how many stops you have, it's what you have to peddle,and you don't pick your stops, they do.We are not out there by ourselves. They play a roll in this too,It's called the PLAN.They want to talk about my day,my production,that's fine.I'll talk about their plan.......

[quote author=heyjoe link=topic=82381.msg853136#msg853136 date=1280537669]

[/quote]Now you're being insubordinate! Maybe instead of worrying about my plan you should focus on why it takes you 12 minutes to drive 3 miles in city traffic !! :chairshot:

[quote author=spartan381 link=topic=82381.msg853165#msg853165 date=1280542269]
Now you're being insubordinate! Maybe instead of worrying about my plan you should focus on why it takes you 12 minutes to drive 3 miles in city traffic !! :chairshot:
[/quote] 3 mi in 12 min in philly traffic gets a star card. :stir:

[quote author=spartan381 link=topic=82381.msg852758#msg852758 date=1280456373]
[/quote]

Unfortunately, this is only the beginning of your woes....

I mentioned this before...

This is exactly the type of info bean counters love.

Access to numbers they don't understand. Plugged into computer models that make no sense. Cubicle mongers that believe they have the inside track. Numbers...numbers...numbers...for the sake of numbers. Analyzed by people who have no idea what our job entails...evaluations based on numerical data...not real world applications.

These will be made worse by gutless SCMs and FOSs answering useless and idiotic emails from peeps at the palace wanting explanations for operating methodologies they don't understand. They have college degrees...which does not infer intelligence or the ability to dovetail an understanding of the operational requirements of the enterprise.

The two-minute warning has sounded...its is time to step up to the plate and recognize the efforts of the people or close the doors...one or the other is going to happen.

If the people at AA can't or refuse to acknowledge the contributions of the rank and file as being critical to the ongoing success of the company then it is time to turn out the lights and go home...

One way or the other it will happen.

Lets hope they make the correct decision.

Rat