FedEx Freight | E-Logs

joe bucker

No participation trophies here
Credits
Here in Dallas we started our e-logs this week, I think all of the DFW area is using them but I'm not sure. Using e-logs has been a learning experience. Our Dallas to Little Rock can't be done, Dallas meet with Bhm is iffy at best, and our Dallas meet with St. Claire is almost impossible too. All three runs are over 600 miles.
Our fine safety man has told us that corporate doesn't see a need to turn the trucks up and our runs are doable as is. As Gomer used to say SURPRISE, SURPRISE.
Starting next week I am not going to go around any back up or delay, so the farther out I am the better for them to come and pick me up. This week I ended up with 4 hours left of my 70.
The mileage for the Dal-Lit turn is 660+ more with haz-mat. Dal-Bhm meet can be 618-to 654 depending on haz-mat. Dal-St. Claire meet is 608 I believe.
I know that Springfield, Mo. has the e-logs, but I don't know what the longest run is in Springfield. As more places come on line can You update us with any problems that are occurring.

SGF's longest run is an EFH hub turn, one in the day and one at night, 636 miles or 5hrs and 10 minutes in a R17xxx truck. Haven't heard of there being any problems making it. The only change the E-logs have brought about so far is that OKC (574m hub turn) has stopped holding the last drivers until 5am, which used to be common practice. Lunches have to be planned out a little better on long delay runs and VIA's as well.

We were told KCY is slated for August e-logs, I would think it would make things better since they are accurate to minute and not to the quarter hour. We have a few over 600 miles, but the worst part of those runs is having to completely drive through STL twice a day, no HazMat route just heavy traffic.

roog

FedEx will probaly start use more rail and purchase transport to cover the 600 plus runs. They won't turn the tractors up even a mile or two and the new trucks won't pull a hill to save their life.

FedEx will probaly start use more rail and purchase transport to cover the 600 plus runs. They won't turn the tractors up even a mile or two and the new trucks won't pull a hill to save their life.

You are right Piggy, but we've been saying that for years now

We've been using E-Logs for a while now and I wouldn't go back to paper. I run a little over 500 miles per night, 64 mph truck, and all interstate. I log out with 1:15 to an 1:30 left on the drive time. How in the world you guys expect to make anything more than about 615 is beyond me. But, if the company is ok with coming to get you, then it's all good. By the way, in case the E-log goes out, you are required to have a pad of paper logs available for use. If you get stopped, you will be ticketed for not having paper logs available.

The Little Rock run has been made for years with nary a problem. Yes, it is tighter with the e-logs, but it may come down to keeping that left door shut, and knowing what's going on in front of you, such as construction, accidents etc. Yes, the trucks on 600+ mile runs should be turned up to at least 68 Mph, but you'll never get Corporate to understand and realize that. They can't seem to think outside of the "box". It would definitely be beneficial to the drivers that make these long runs on a daily basis. As for not going around massive traffic delays, why in the world would you just want to sit in traffic when you could be miles down the road by taking an alternate route? That just doesn't make any sense, but then again, spite does strange things to people.

The Little Rock run has been made for years with nary a problem. Yes, it is tighter with the e-logs, but it may come down to keeping that left door shut, and knowing what's going on in front of you, such as construction, accidents etc. Yes, the trucks on 600+ mile runs should be turned up to at least 68 Mph, but you'll never get Corporate to understand and realize that. They can't seem to think outside of the "box". It would definitely be beneficial to the drivers that make these long runs on a daily basis. As for not going around massive traffic delays, why in the world would you just want to sit in traffic when you could be miles down the road by taking an alternate route? That just doesn't make any sense, but then again, spite does strange things to people.

Trucks can't be turned up. FMCSA is finalizing a federal rule that will limit every truck in America to 65. There's really no point turning them up, just to turn them back down again.