XPO | E-TRACK

pokyjoe48

Mama's boy
Credits
Well the E-tracks are starting to make there appearance in this neck of woods, (N of SLC) and its going to have to be something we're going to have to learn to slow down and deal with. "Slow down" :poke: is a phase that us as employees don't really know how to do and management gets all in a tither :hissy: about when they "THINK" things aren't moving fast enough. They "think" to much. :hyper: Well after the Monday morning meeting and a look at some of the pictures it makes me wonder if we're going to have to go to college and get a degree in E-trackology??? Well nobody said we had to be rocket scientist. Just look at me. "Wa you lookin at?" If you're to lazy or stupid to do the job right just remember that your name is on that freight when you sign it on and off the trailer and digital cameras are at each facility. I believe that Con-way still has some of best DSR's in the business. :clap: Hopefully the folks that screwed up these loads and damaged the E-track have learned their lesson and will do better in the future. We really don't want to damage our customers freight and I for one don't want to deliver damaged freight because then I'm going to have come to your barn and beat the pi** out of you. :bash: Mama still thinks I'm pretty and so do my customers. I like my customers and they like me and trust me and you to do a good job. :thumbsup:

[quote author=pokyjoe48 link=topic=80030.msg828764#msg828764 date=1273542871]
Well the E-tracks are starting to make there appearance in this neck of woods, (N of SLC) and its going to have to be something we're going to have to learn to slow down and deal with. "Slow down" :poke: is a phase that us as employees don't really know how to do and management gets all in a tither :hissy: about when they "THINK" things aren't moving fast enough. They "think" to much. :hyper: Well after the Monday morning meeting and a look at some of the pictures it makes me wonder if we're going to have to go to college and get a degree in E-trackology??? Well nobody said we had to be rocket scientist. Just look at me. "Wa you lookin at?" If you're to lazy or stupid to do the job right just remember that your name is on that freight when you sign it on and off the trailer and digital cameras are at each facility. I believe that Con-way still has some of best DSR's in the business. :clap: Hopefully the folks that screwed up these loads and damaged the E-track have learned their lesson and will do better in the future. We really don't want to damage our customers freight and I for one don't want to deliver damaged freight because then I'm going to have come to your barn and beat the pi** out of you. :bash: Mama still thinks I'm pretty and so do my customers. I like my customers and they like me and trust me and you to do a good job. :thumbsup:
[/quote]Yeah, you not going to load OR unload one of them things very quickly. We're a distribution point and have plenty of them things...its ok as long as you've got plenty of time to load them, but no way you can get into a hurry.

The E-Track is OK if you are working WITH someone. If you are unloading or loading a E-Track by yourself it takes a lot more time. I am already seeing E-Tracks with NO straps and have seen several of the bars you slide the racks up and down broken. Have seen freight damaged because the shrink wrap and boxes get torn on the walls of the trailer. I think they are more trouble than what they are worth. In some situations they are good but the type of freight we have and the way we operate I just don't think they are for us. BUT I am just a Driver that has done this for Con-Way for over 20 years. Who cares about my opinion and what I think???!!!!!!

i can see the good in havin the e track trailers for SOME of the freight we haul. it is costin space with large cartons we stack 3 high in regular trailers. now they only go 2. another thing is they wasted alot of money on the straps. u only need 2 straps at the most in these trlrs. i see alot of our profit goin out the window with this. just my opinion.

This entire endeavor is becoming a real PITA.

I understand utilizing these trailers as much as possible...but at what expense?

When you are stripping out heavy pures...that cannot be e-tracked...sent out by the FOSs on a P&D route pulling an e-track trailer...just so the e-track is used...regardless of the need...you are stupid.

Complain all you want about being on time to the FACs...as long as we continue to do this ignorance...we will be late....service be damned.

Load the freight and get it the hell off the property...OH..Wait!...I'm so sorry...was that common sense?....

My bad!!!!

Rat

I had to strip a E trailer. 14 bills, all racks lowered 2 hours and 15 minutes. It should of took me 1hour and 15 minutes to do. some of the bars didn't want to go up easily, they hung up. Load racks are so much easier to deal with.

[quote author=gunner1119 link=topic=80030.msg828852#msg828852 date=1273587598]
The E-Track is OK if you are working WITH someone. If you are unloading or loading a E-Track by yourself it takes a lot more time. I am already seeing E-Tracks with NO straps and have seen several of the bars you slide the racks up and down broken. Have seen freight damaged because the shrink wrap and boxes get torn on the walls of the trailer. I think they are more trouble than what they are worth. In some situations they are good but the type of freight we have and the way we operate I just don't think they are for us. BUT I am just a Driver that has done this for Con-Way for over 20 years. Who cares about my opinion and what I think???!!!!!!
[/quote]

I care. :iamnotworthy:

I think it's still too soon to get bent out of shape over the E-track trailers. Sure it takes longer to load and unload, but if properly done, a loader can get double the amount of bills on the same trailer. Why does it matter if a driver takes twice as long to unload if it's carrying twice the bills of a conventional trailer? Also, don't forget to consider the fact that as we get more into these trailers, we'll get more proficient as a group working with them. Perhaps we could take a little longer view on this and see how it works out.

One thing I'd like to see them do is add some lines or colored dots on the track so you can easily see if you're level with all the bars front to back and side to side. A quick trick I saw another driver do was place a full sheet on the forks and bump the bars from the bottom to level them - clearly against e-track policy but it works well.. haha.. Another thing would be to bring the track down lower - maybe to the black rubber strip at the bottom of the wall. I see a lot of them with the bars all the way down and there is a big gap - it would bring the center of gravity down a little too.

It will take some time but you can definitely get more bills and weight per trailer with less damage if it's done right. I personally would not do more than half of the fleet though since we still have a lot of good racks and they're not needed for a lot of what we haul.

I agree the racks are much easier, theres a SHORTAGE of them in the FACs I have been to, with the E Track its real hard not to have a rack when you need it! the racks could more easily be used and available for the sub service OTR trailers that soooooo much space is wasted, or stuff is stacked HORRIBLY and damaging just to get it on there. that would free up racks for where we cant e track. I use E Track daily, and I dont mind it, it takes a little while longer and not as easy, but its worth it to reduce the damage and issues down the road.

I use them when they are available .. yea it is time consuming but it is worth it ... I have some freight I have to load nightly that I am not comfortable stacking on ... and i get tired of wrestling racks away from everyone else .. we asked for this and they gave it to us ... I am thinking they gave us to many straps though ...

The e-tracks are going to be used as originally intended...it is not an option...way too much money invested.

The big difference between the e-tracks and the load decks..

The load decks were used as needed...the e-tracks will be used as dictated.

This has become the new holy grail of Con-Way...it is being percieved as being THE answer to eliminating claims and damage.

There will be no professional assessment of need...only policing...assuring the e-tracks are used as they intend.

Not with the program?...Adios.

The same mindset will be applied to the handhelds...whenever they arrive.

FWIW...I like the e-tracks...just new and will take some break in time. Too many straps...four is more than enough...twelve is overkill..they just get in the way. The tool used to lower the bars doesn't seem to hold up well...have seen many with broken rivets...making them useless.

Rat

I agree, the tools i have seen have been taped together often.....and the straps, yeah overkill for sure, many are going back out on non e track trailers and on sub service. waaaaay toooo many straps, and also i say...NO PLYWOOD, unless u have an off sized skid. smaller skids could fall through, regular 48x40 pallets, dont need plywood

[quote author=Rat link=topic=80030.msg830471#msg830471 date=1274060059]
The e-tracks are going to be used as originally intended...it is not an option...way too much money invested.

The big difference between the e-tracks and the load decks..

The load decks were used as needed...the e-tracks will be used as dictated.

This has become the new holy grail of Con-Way...it is being percieved as being THE answer to eliminating claims and damage.

There will be no professional assessment of need...only policing...assuring the e-tracks are used as they intend.

Not with the program?...Adios.

The same mindset will be applied to the handhelds...whenever they arrive.

FWIW...I like the e-tracks...just new and will take some break in time. Too many straps...four is more than enough...twelve is overkill..they just get in the way. The tool used to lower the bars doesn't seem to hold up well...have seen many with broken rivets...making them useless.

Rat
[/quote]Somebody needs to come up with a name for the tool used to lower the beams (or whatever they're called)....
Seriously.....once the bar is initially lowered(from the top), I use my hands to lower it into place.

[quote author=wonderring99 link=topic=80030.msg830523#msg830523 date=1274067403]
the etrack bringer downer :drama:
[/quote]

:thumbsup: :clap: :biglaugh:

[quote author=wonderring99 link=topic=80030.msg830523#msg830523 date=1274067403]
the etrack bringer downer :drama:
[/quote]
how about the "back scratcher"? I used one for that the other night, it worked great, cant say it works better for bringing them down or putting them up. I'm 6'6 I do it all by hand. we could call them the "shorty helper", or the "midget tool" :poke: :stir: :dance: