ABF | Earnings up, tonnage down...

Now that's what I'm talking about. I see nothing wrong with more money and less work, that is what I strive for every day of my life. With the recent rate increases in effect for a full quarter it will be interesting to see how their third quarter turns out.

It seemed to me that every week there was more freight that we "used to haul". I was hoping we were walking away from it instead of it walking away from us. We never really want to lose work but if it doesn't pay the bills there is no use it moving it. That is one of the things I like about ABF and it helps keep them in business. One thing that seems to be common in companies on their way out is that their trucks are loaded, loaded, loaded...with freight that kills them. And I do feel better when ABF turns a profit in down times, even if it's just a small one.

Couple a things. ABF being a high cost carrier can no longer afford to carry high discounted freight. ABF could have done this 2 years ago but all the carriers were desperately competing for market share during the crash. At the same time they attempted to get YRC to exit the market place with predatory pricing. Not just ABF. FedEx and Conway too. It didn't work. Now all the carriers are raising rates knowing they couldn't put the giant down. Business is war..kill or be killed:coffee1:

ABF is the last of the real good union ltl paying jobs. Now there union with less pay and benefits. Hope everyone has a higher standard of life that other's can look up to.Good luck contract time- 2013

ABF is the last of the real good union ltl paying jobs. Now there union with less pay and benefits. Hope everyone has a higher standard of life that other's can look up to.Good luck contract time- 2013
Thanks for the good luck, we can always use a little luck.
Couple a things. ABF being a high cost carrier can no longer afford to carry high discounted freight. ABF could have done this 2 years ago but all the carriers were desperately competing for market share during the crash. At the same time they attempted to get YRC to exit the market place with predatory pricing. Not just ABF. FedEx and Conway too. It didn't work. Now all the carriers are raising rates knowing they couldn't put the giant down. Business is war..kill or be killed:coffee1:

And here is one more time you are lying like Docker continues to point out. ABF never partook in predatory pricing in the years that I have been with them.

Why do wish death to ABF? Why do you want to see your union brothers out of a job? You do realize that if anything happens to Yrc OR Abf, your retirement is done for. Why don't you go to the other companies forums and blast them? Fedex and Conway with their 90/90 program. Or OD drivers and their willingness to drive down the industry standard? WTF is wrong with you?

Hey Joe can you give us any proof that ABF used or was involed in any predatory pricing to put YRC out. Please give us all a link that can prove ABF was using predatory pricing. It is just that simple.

Hey Joe can you give us any proof that ABF used or was involed in any predatory pricing to put YRC out. Please give us all a link that can prove ABF was using predatory pricing. It is just that simple.

With ABF'S cost structure they could never get into predatory pricing.they may have taken some freight from Yrc like every other trucking company when all the problems with the merger were going on.But that had nothing to do with pricing and was all about service.

Like yellow wouldn't have done any of that what do you think they did when they bought usf, some of there compation then shut down 3 of the 5 company's putting a lot of men out of work ,yes the great yrc is a good example joe.

Why do wish death to ABF? Why do you want to see your union brothers out of a job? You do realize that if anything happens to Yrc OR Abf, your retirement is done for. Why don't you go to the other companies forums and blast them? Fedex and Conway with their 90/90 program. Or OD drivers and their willingness to drive down the industry standard? WTF is wrong with you?
Just to bring you up to speed on who the villain is ABF sued YRC. If they were successful you and 25,000 YRC teamsters would be out of a job
The bond between YRC and ABF teamsters is the pension. Other than that ABF is just another competitor with a death wish for YRC. ABF will not and cannot grow unless they sink YRC

http://www.teamster.org/content/how-did-we-get-here
Lastly, the recession has been so severe that YRCW’s competitors’ have taken advantage of their challenged position in the marketplace, creating the worst predatory pricing environment in the modern trucking industry’s history. For YRCW’s mostly non-union competitors, a YRCW shut down would end the freight recession for them for the foreseeable future. They are all betting against the company’s survival with their pocketbook, slashing rates by targeting specific lanes and customers. The losses they suffer now will be offset by the market share they ultimately capture if their plans prove correct. This involves often hauling freight at below cost in most cases, all in an effort to hasten the company’s demise. Until the competition gets the message that YRCW is a viable and financially stable enterprise here for the long haul, this downward pricing spiral will continue and remain irrational.

People like Joe come and go. This board is self cleansing. If you continue to feed the troll, he will keep coming back.

Stop responding to him and he will have no reason to return. Use the ignore feature and ignore him.

Hey Joe another half truth where in that article did it say ABF was using predatory pricing? Now what I read was most of YRCW's non-union competitors were trying to put them out. If you look at the underline part of your post you can see it in black and white print.

Lastly, the recession has been so severe that YRCW’s competitors’ have taken advantage of their challenged position in the marketplace, creating the worst predatory pricing environment in the modern trucking industry’s history. For YRCW’s mostly non-union competitors, a YRCW shut down would end the freight recession for them for the foreseeable future. They are all betting against the company’s survival with their pocketbook, slashing rates by targeting specific lanes and customers. The losses they suffer now will be offset by the market share they ultimately capture if their plans prove correct. This involves often hauling freight at below cost in most cases, all in an effort to hasten the company’s demise. Until the competition gets the message that YRCW is a viable and financially stable enterprise here for the long haul, this downward pricing spiral will continue and remain irrational.

People like Joe come and go. This board is self cleansing. If you continue to feed the troll, he will keep coming back.

What is it about ABF Inc? Are they protected or a shielded species because so many members here are ABF people? ABF is as much corporate America as FedEx is. Are you saying just FedEx and the nons tried to put YRC down? YRC was against the ropes when FedEx, Conway and yes ABF engaged in heavy predatory pricing to put YRC out of their misery. (article says mostly nons) Who else is left? Figure it out for yourself. Truxforever asked for a link. The link below is from the teamsters site. Maybe you feel the teamster site is a troll too. If you're so proud of TB what is your problem with the truth? Like the man said 'it's all part of the game', you know..it's business. They all do it. YRC did it. They are supposed to do it. It's the right thing to do. If you have a prob with the truth let the self cleansing begin.

http://www.teamster.org/content/how-did-we-get-here

Hey I work at ABF we lost freight to FedEx also went they were doing 90for90, we also lost freight to Conway and Southeastern during that time. The three were giving big discounts at that time, so if ABF was giving that type of discount why was ABF also loosing freight. ABF would not match the discounts being given. Again where in that story did it say anything about any union company trying to put YRCW out it didn't. I guess you could read in anything you would like.

Hey I work at ABF we lost freight to FedEx also went they were doing 90for90, we also lost freight to Conway and Southeastern during that time. The three were giving big discounts at that time, so if ABF was giving that type of discount why was ABF also loosing freight. ABF would not match the discounts being given. Again where in that story did it say anything about any union company trying to put YRCW out it didn't. I guess you could read in anything you would like.

trux, the turd isn't worth it. guardrail is right, ignore him and he will go away.

I'm gonna get in trouble for this just trying to help with the points of view....."For YRCW’s mostly non-union competitors". Now I read that as a hint that there may have been SOME Union Carrier trying too, altho you are correct it does not specifically say. Please don't shoot the mesenger.

I'm gonna get in trouble for this just trying to help with the points of view....."For YRCW’s mostly non-union competitors". Now I read that as a hint that there may have been SOME Union Carrier trying too, altho you are correct it does not specifically say. Please don't shoot the mesenger.

Don't believe everything you read and don't read into it what isn't there. I know for a fact that ABF did not go hunting with predatory rates and we were inured by that practice as well. If they did I would be willing to acknowledge it.