Averitt | Electronic Logging

How about being able to talk to each other..... I know that a lot of Single sleepers are bouncing out of Fl and other locations empty, what's wrong with them hooking onto a loaded T/L load thats needs to go to a serctr close to it's delivery and dropping it off, rather than bouncing a T/L truck 200-300 miles to pick it up.
Part of the issue with that is yes, we all have the same name on the trucks but you have several different trucking companies (LTL, T/L, supply chain etc), with GS at the top. Each division is operated as a separate business. I understand what you are saying but I think it would take a great deal more work than they think its worth to pull together and each division easily pull the other's loads. Just like many T/L guys dont understand why they have to sit at a svs ctr and wait hours for their delivery appt to deliver a load, they think a city guy should be able to do it for them, it's all about the $$. Personally I think it'd be a little smarter investment than some of the other things we have as a benefit, I like the gesture but come on, those safety/service awards, look at the amount of money they have invested in those. You have people hired at corp to make sure each driver gets his award, then you have a vendor to buy it from who sends a guy a tool or fishing rod or whatever, that has to a huge cost to the company and profit sharing.

That's a good point Jeepman, Lifer what are you thinking? My Qualcomm works right 99.95% of the time, prolly haven't called Central twice this year.
Have you looked at the qualcomms in the new sleepers? Text to voice capability is a valuable tool. Nothing bugs me more than driving down the road and getting the emergency beep and you MUST stop in order to read it. These new units will speak the info to you and my guess is they quit beeping once you listen to it. Can be listened to as you ride down the road.

Another issue. Let's say I am running to a terminal and a driver from another terminal is bringing the load to me at that terminal that I may have to wait on for 45 min., an hour , an hour and a half, whatever. There should be a trigger mechanism in the computer that alerts me when that driver arrives on the yard I am waiting on. WHy shoudl I have to sit at the gate while I wait and look at every trailer number that comes in to see when mine arrives. When he arrives himself, my qualcomm should beep. I could be taking a nap or whatever. This would be a great asset on a yard like NAS or DAL where there are trailers and trucks coming and going constantly and they are big yards. This is a simple fix but they won't do it. I've suggested it over and over.

Another issue is when I arrive at one of our meet points and the system shoots me a load assignment, it will say at the bottom "At 0105, tractor 21XXX was 25 miles from XXX". Not all locations and meet spots have this programmed in. This is something that the programmers in CKV coud and should fix. Instead they are worrying about kids making a coloring book or some other such nonsense.

These are only 2. There are many more that could be done. Thje technology has greatly improved on these units over the years but our outdated equipment in our worn out trucks just can't handle the software, hence we are not electronic logging yet in LTL shuttle.

My qualcomm works great 99% of the time also but the capabilities for expansion are sorely lacking. Try sending a message on the 01 macro. Where does this message go at 0300 in the morning? Does anyone get it? If so who?

I was told that when we type a message it goes to our domicile, and we know that city dispatch is the only ones that read that. I agree on an alert when our load hits the yard. I was told to wait 1 hr. for my Knx. to arrive out of Enc. one night in Gbo, no problem a little nap would be nice. Three hours later the sun woke me up, walked in and the leader had a look on his face telling me he forgot me, even though my trip sheet was on his desk with cell number. It was a Saturday so no freight interruptions, needless to say didn't need a nap that day.

I was told that when we type a message it goes to our domicile, and we know that city dispatch is the only ones that read that. I agree on an alert when our load hits the yard. I was told to wait 1 hr. for my Knx. to arrive out of Enc. one night in Gbo, no problem a little nap would be nice. Three hours later the sun woke me up, walked in and the leader had a look on his face telling me he forgot me, even though my trip sheet was on his desk with cell number. It was a Saturday so no freight interruptions, needless to say didn't need a nap that day.
Bingo...my point exactly. Give us a beep when the load we are waiting on arrives. Very simple fix.

Another idea would be to beep us when a load is closed out. If I am hooked up or waiting for a load to be closed on any dock, I shouldn't have to babysit the back door of the trailer. Let me take a nap in my tractor and if I am set up to pull the load, beep me when it is closed. A 2 second programmer fix.

If these people can't work with us to alert us when we are ready, I really don't give a rip if their freight makes it on time or not. Sorry, it's the way I think.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bingo...my point exactly. Give us a beep when the load we are waiting on arrives. Very simple fix.

Another idea would be to beep us when a load is closed out. If I am hooked up or waiting for a load to be closed on any dock, I shouldn't have to babysit the back door of the trailer. Let me take a nap in my tractor and if I am set up to pull the load, beep me when it is closed. A 2 second programmer fix.
When in KNX we do get a beep,but that is Dale.He is a good dispatcher.

He sends out the beep? If he does this is the only instance of this happening to my knowledge. NEVER does this happen anywhere around my region. Could we send all of the people in this area that could possibly notify a driver to a class held by Dale?

You think that's bad. As a TL driver I would drop my load on the yard friday night expecting to take it thru for a monday delivery. I would get all loaded up head to the yard get in the truck just to see a msg on my qualcomm "disregard load 01" which means they took it off me friday and gave it to another driver to get him home. I have no problem with that but why can't they call me at home and tell me. So now I don't even leave the house on a sunday without calling weekend guys to see if I'm still on the load...

Charlotte did at one time, Bhm will call or beep, I needed a call because my built in delay was longer than my qualcomm would stay on.

Pam in NAS beeps you when your load is ready. She also runs a tight ship. I would venture to guess that if you waited on a beep at my barn you would still be there.