ABF | Elogs

The new freightliners run out @ 62mph on my GPS unit. I don,t think they are getting upset as long as you are staying within the posted speed limits on the downgrades. They will soon be able to watch any tractor they choose in real time from the comfort of their office computer. Some people say they will be able to record conversations in the cab from these ELDs, but like our safety man told me, who is a retired Oregon state trooper, it is illegal to record a conversation without the individuals knowledge and consent. At least until more of our freedoms are taken from us by Uncle. FYI....
What your safety man did not tell you is the law on recording is different in each state, I can call you from Indiana on the phone, record it, not tell you & it is legal. If we are talking anywhere person to person within Indiana one of us can record the conversation, not tell the other person or persons in the conversation, & it is legal in Indiana. In Illinois, part of what I described is legal the rest is not. Each state is different, check you state laws. It is not legal to place a recording device in a room leave it & walk away in all 50 states, unless you have a court order to place listening devices. Here is a link to each state law.
www.mwl-law.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/LAWS-ON-RECORDING-CONVERSATIONS-CHART.pdf
Your safety man was partly wrong. Take a peek @ what is legal & what is no for Oregon. Kind of strange law.

The new freightliners run out @ 62mph on my GPS unit. I don,t think they are getting upset as long as you are staying within the posted speed limits on the downgrades. They will soon be able to watch any tractor they choose in real time from the comfort of their office computer. Some people say they will be able to record conversations in the cab from these ELDs, but like our safety man told me, who is a retired Oregon state trooper, it is illegal to record a conversation without the individuals knowledge and consent. At least until more of our freedoms are taken from us by Uncle. FYI....
Whether or not you know it they have been able to know where you were at and how fast you were going as long as the truck had a ELD in it logged in or not excessive speed throws an alert to other company computers

This would be closer to wire-tapping than a 2-party conversation as long as you were not talking to the company on the ELD I believe. That would require a different set of statutes, and probably a court order. They might be able to get around that by notifying you that everything you say in this vehicle is being monitored and recorded for safety reasons, but it would be pretty creepy and probably not stand up to a legal challenge. Can you imagine the can of worms they would open recording personal intimate conversations over the phone with wives/girlfriends? Anyway, I wouldn't worry about them doing it. Thanks for the pdf though, Von. I am saving it. Yeah I have heard that as well stickman. Once the system is up and running they should be able to monitor much more in real time, just like they are sitting beside you. But they won't have to offer to buy breakfast at the next stop.

Last edited:
It's the large corporations that lobby for the laws that take away your privacy. As the gentleman above said: " In the name of safety".......

Proctor and Gamble, Walmart, and Chase Manhattan know more about you than the FBI and the NSA combined.

This would be closer to wire-tapping than a 2-party conversation as long as you were not talking to the company on the ELD I believe. That would require a different set of statutes, and probably a court order. They might be able to get around that by notifying you that everything you say in this vehicle is being monitored and recorded for safety reasons, but it would be pretty creepy and probably not stand up to a legal challenge. Can you imagine the can of worms they would open recording personal intimate conversations over the phone with wives/girlfriends? Anyway, I wouldn't worry about them doing it. Thanks for the pdf though, Von. I am saving it. Yeah I have heard that as well stickman. Once the system is up and running they should be able to monitor much more in real time, just like they are sitting beside you. But they won't have to offer to buy breakfast at the next stop.

You are welcome. Yes a big can of worms. If you were in a conversation with someone, in person or phone, would you try to be more careful in what you are saying? Would you slow down the conversation to think of your response before you spoke? I know I would. Ever watch live testimony before a committee in congress? The smart people testifying before congress always pause before responding. One reason is to allow their attorney sitting next to them to object or give him a chance to challenge the question. Or maybe give you enough time to think about your response. Now days when you talk to a company over the phone you hear a voice telling you you are being recorded. Sometimes they record you & don’t tell you. If that is so, you can bet the call to you originated from a state with laws like Indiana, or an other country. When I told the people recording me that I was doing the same some company reps told me that was not allowed. I said goodbye & hung up. Then I called them back & forgot to tell them I was recording them. Very legal. In Indiana my call to them or their call to me is legal to record without me telling them. Learn how to play the game, it might say you some grief down the road. Von.