ABF | Employment

However long it takes I’ll deal with it. Much better stable company than Reddaway/YRC and just need to tough out the dock/weird hours for a while till I can get onto a regular bid. My future terminal isn’t very big but we’ll see. I do plan on moving to sparks NV sooner rather than later so I can truly build my seniority where I plan to be long term. Hope I can transfer over there without much issue.

However long it takes I’ll deal with it. Much better stable company than Reddaway/YRC and just need to tough out the dock/weird hours for a while till I can get onto a regular bid. My future terminal isn’t very big but we’ll see. I do plan on moving to sparks NV sooner rather than later so I can truly build my seniority where I plan to be long term. Hope I can transfer over there without much issue.
You will want to check with your local and the local of the terminal you want to transfer to. Here in Southern Region (Article 40, Section 3), you can only transfer from Road to City or vice-versa within that terminal one time and maintain your fringe benefits (pension/insurance/pay). But you still go to bottom of the seniority board for bidding. The only way (contractual Article 5, Section 5) that you can transfer to a different terminal is in the case of being laid-off for more than thirty days and another terminal hiring at the time. You would retain all your fringe benefits, but go to the bottom for bidding purposes.
Although I have heard of certain locals allowing this practice after both locals agreeing to do so (local agreement).

Update.

Well today i received a phone call from the terminal manager in Columbus,OH. We had brief but kind of complete conversation.

I'll be going in for a face to face interview early next week. He's looking to hire 5 now. And through out this rest of year. 9 total-2-4 retiring.

I believe i'll be the first to be interviewed of those that just applied. For the first 5 he wants to hire in. Did ask after this interview with me and up coming others. How long He said if he wants to hire he can push through for the background checks,only 2 days or so. Not sure if he meant to get started or to be completed??

I joke and mentioned that due to the senority issue. U pick me , least get the ball rolling right away for hiring in.

Due to Senority issue plus i want to start earning a check and everything else.

Top Scale offered Day 1 and a $5000 gross sign on bonus check Day 1.

I wont lie will be nice to working Teamster again. Tired of working non-union where they dont keep there word worth ::shit::.......

Last edited:
Update.

Well today i received a phone call from the terminal manager in Columbus,OH. We had brief but kind of complete conversation.

I'll be going in for a face to face interview early next week. He's looking to hire 5 now. And through out this rest of year. 9 total-2-4 retiring.

I believe i'll be the first to be interviewed of those that just applied. For the first 5 he wants to hire in. Did ask after this interview with me and up coming others. How long He said if he wants to hire he can push through for the background checks,only 2 days or so. Not sure if he meant to get started or to be completed??

I joke and mentioned that due to the senority issue. U pick me , least get the ball rolling right away for hiring in.

Due to Senority issue plus i want to start earning a check and everything else.

Top Scale offered Day 1 and a $5000 gross sign on bonus check Day 1.

I wont lie will be nice to working Teamster again. Tired of working non-union where they dont keep there word worth ****.......
See everything happens for a reason. You get full pay and benefits day one, that’s a bonus on top of a bonus….

You need to work enough hours in a quarter to pay for benefits for the next quarter. Started last August. Teamsters sent me bill for like $2600 if I wanted benefits for Q4 because I didn’t have enough hours worked in Q3. Got insurance at the start of Q1 of this year because I worked enough hours of Q4 last year. You can get benefits once you’re on the board if you any to pay out of pocket for the difference shortage of worked credits.

Last edited:
so no thirty days probation then. go to seniority list right away. i can handle that.

now those 2 just hired in the last year. did they have a start time right away. or was then on call a 10% and if so how long before they had a start time?

so no thirty days probation then. go to seniority list right away. i can handle that.

now those 2 just hired in the last year. did they have a start time right away. or was then on call a 10% and if so how long before they had a start time?
My SCM told me I was supposed to be on 30 punch probation but he messed it up. Two guys after me were on it and one didn’t make it. PA local.

In some cases, 2 to 3 months or longer. Like Doc stated, they will check everything they can about you. They will go back up to 10-years checking your driving record. I know this sounds corny, but when you join ABF, ABF becomes a part of you. Both good and bad. But compared to other employers, it is mostly good. Think of ABF as a sit-com family. You may have the crazy cousin or grumpy uncle, or rebellious little brother, but it is still your family and you are proud to be a part of it. The best part is, once your 30 day probation is up, you pretty much have a job that you can retire with. You have to really, really screw up bad to lose your job. And with our progressive discipline, you pretty much know ahead of time if you are heading down the wrong path. At least that is my experience so far at ABF. And it will be 28-years in June for me.
If they need a warm body you can be hired in 2weeks out the door

If they need a warm body you can be hired in 2weeks out the door
You get a dead on. I still ing 40 years are trucking it's the best job I've ever had. The head is good and bad points but never bad enough for I want to quit and go wor k for somebody else in trucking. Pension benefits and the medical benefits are just too importa nt and too good o jump ship.