ODFL | Estes vs Old Dominion

There’s no way you wanna make that at OD they may paint you a picture but you’ll have to work 6 1/2 days a week
So you're saying its probably easier at Estes to make that kind of dough? Reason I ask is because I have seen several people quote that figure to me with Estes but never for OD.

People seem to say "100k to 120k" alot when talking about them. Again, never heard anyone say that for OD. I realize that 120k figure probably is the top of the range for a reason and you'd have to work hard for that there as well but im thinking something about being out 5 days a week might make the ceiling higher for Estes.

Ok so, I am still in the process of weighing the pros and cons. I realize they are both good companies but I'm just taking my time with it is all.

A question I had was about the upper limits of your earning potential. From browsing the forums, I see alot of people saying that if you hustle hard at Estes you can make up to 120k maybe a bit more than that. I was wondering if this is also possible at Old Dominion running the extra board...Would it depend on the location? Im interested in NJ,Nevada, and Texas. Would it be more difficult to make 120k+ at Old Dominion than it is at Estes?
I do almost $110 at od working 5 days. Easy run (520 miles). Nothing extra here. $120 definitely would be easy if I worked a 6th day. But I'll never do that. There are $130 grand guys at my terminal on 600 plus mile runs

We have a few schedule guys at my terminal over 130 k on miles and switches for 5 days. They earn every penny of it and I almost feel like calling in sick when any of them have a day off. Lol

So you're saying its probably easier at Estes to make that kind of dough? Reason I ask is because I have seen several people quote that figure to me with Estes but never for OD.

People seem to say "100k to 120k" alot when talking about them. Again, never heard anyone say that for OD. I realize that 120k figure probably is the top of the range for a reason and you'd have to work hard for that there as well but im thinking something about being out 5 days a week might make the ceiling higher for Estes.
After 15 years my friend I know what I’m talking about as a L/h Driver for OD you can expect 5 to 6 hours a week Wait time with no pay and God for bid if you break down you make like 12 bucks an hour is this is the way to go don’t know about their benefits I’m sure it’s compatible if this helps you great

After 15 years my friend I know what I’m talking about as a L/h Driver for OD you can expect 5 to 6 hours a week Wait time with no pay and God for bid if you break down you make like 12 bucks an hour is this is the way to go don’t know about their benefits I’m sure it’s compatible if this helps you great
Yeah I'm union now so I do get paid for wait time.

My plan if I switch over to OD/Estes would be to have a nice bed set-up going on my Prius V hybrid, plenty of room to sleep in the back and I can run the ac/heat on without any problems thanks to the hybrid engine lol. Maybe even switch to Rav4 hybrid heh.

I‘ve been screwed by a handful of places that were family owned and operated just as much as the publicly traded companies.

So I believe that neither one are better. Trucking sucks. That’s why I try to stay out of stupid debts and am running hard to pay off a mortgage and put some away to quit this stuff in my early 50’s.

depends on what termianl you are looking to run out of in NJ for OD. From what I've heard from some of the guys up there, they run nights on hourly and usually either run back and forth between the terminals in NJ and NYC(queens/bronx/long island). I'm sure they have other runs, but those are easily taken up by senior drivers that don't have to run NYC. If you're looking to 'transfer' to a terminal out west, Why not just apply to one of those, get your interview in, and just move out there? You never know how long before termianls out there will be hiring. Best of luck in your decision and to be honest, the 80K you made at Yellow, is still ALOT better than any pay you'll get at Swift or ANY 'general freight carrier' period. I went from general freight, to tanker(which was way better than dry van), to here at OD, and it's the most I've ever made and even paid off all my debts.

depends on what termianl you are looking to run out of in NJ for OD. From what I've heard from some of the guys up there, they run nights on hourly and usually either run back and forth between the terminals in NJ and NYC(queens/bronx/long island). I'm sure they have other runs, but those are easily taken up by senior drivers that don't have to run NYC. If you're looking to 'transfer' to a terminal out west, Why not just apply to one of those, get your interview in, and just move out there? You never know how long before termianls out there will be hiring. Best of luck in your decision and to be honest, the 80K you made at Yellow, is still ALOT better than any pay you'll get at Swift or ANY 'general freight carrier' period. I went from general freight, to tanker(which was way better than dry van), to here at OD, and it's the most I've ever made and even paid off all my debts.
Hm well Estes has like a 70 mile hiring radius. I guess that was on my mind with OD. Maybe its not like that with them. Running to NYC does not sound fun at all to be honest. I have plenty saved up to make the move but I was hoping another year would make it alot more comfortable.

Yeah I am happy with my time at Yellow. I wasn't making as much as I could have but I learned alot as a new driver in a pretty low stress environment, developed alot personally, and banked some money.

If your thinking of your future and are a saver. The 401K program at OD is far more superior than Estes (at the moment). The profit sharing at OD can add an extra 13K to your 401K, with maxed out self contributions. No profit sharing at Estes.