ODFL | Estes vs Old Dominion

Hm well Estes has like a 70 mile hiring radius. I guess that was on my mind with OD. Maybe its not like that with them. Running to NYC does not sound fun at all to be honest. I have plenty saved up to make the move but I was hoping another year would make it alot more comfortable.

Yeah I am happy with my time at Yellow. I wasn't making as much as I could have but I learned alot as a new driver in a pretty low stress environment, developed alot personally, and banked some money.
Not just Estes,but OD has a pretty long hiring range. I’ve ran into guys that live 90 miles away and are GBO drivers. Even some that are within 60-70 miles. So, it’s not just Estes that has a 70 mile range. I believe most companies have at least a 60 mile range.

Profit sharing just goes into your 401k is what he is referring to.
I know what he meant. Its just i dont get the math. How does he get 13k extra? Is he corporate making huge salary?

Lets do simple math. Lets say i make 100 000, max match is 50% up to 6%.
I put 6% of my earned money which is 6000 + company match is 3000. Thats 9000. They also do profit sharing which is around another 3000.

My point is, to get extra 13k you got to make at least 200k. Who makes that at OD?

I know what he meant. Its just i dont get the math. How does he get 13k extra? Is he corporate making huge salary?

I put 6% of my earned money which is 6000 + company match is 3000. Thats 9000. They also do profit sharing which is around another 3000.

My point is, to get extra 13k you got to make at least 200k. Who makes that at OD?
Billy makes more than that in tips alone.
You should see how careful he trims around the rose bushes for those sweet young housewives.

I made 11k on mine like three years ago ... However since the regular match was raised last year, it shouldn't be that much now. In other words we're getting more along instead of waiting until the end of the year to get it.

The profit sharing would be based on how much you put into your 401k. Max, pretax or Roth, would be 19,500 for 2021. An extra 6,500 for 50 or older. If profit sharing is set at 50% of your contributions, then $26,000 would get $13,000.

The profit sharing would be based on how much you put into your 401k. Max, pretax or Roth, would be 19,500 for 2021. An extra 6,500 for 50 or older. If profit sharing is set at 50% of your contributions, then $26,000 would get $13,000.
It's 50% up to 6% of your salary. Basically 3% guarantee match plus around 3% profit sharing.

You need to make 216500 gross to get 13k extra from OD.

It's 50% up to 6% of your salary. Basically 3% guarantee match plus around 3% profit sharing.

You need to make 216500 gross to get 13k extra from OD.
That's the guaranteed match. Not the profit sharing, which is not guaranteed. Your confusing the two, as one and the same.

That's the guaranteed match. Not the profit sharing, which is not guaranteed. Your confusing the two, as one and the same.
Can you explain how does profit sharing works?

Because since i been here, its always around 3%. Just checked, 2020 paid in march 2021 was 3.5% of my gross.

Thank you

Can you explain how does profit sharing works?

Because since i been here, its always around 3%. Just checked, 2020 paid in march 2021 was 3.5% of my gross.

Thank you
There are several ways, profit sharing can be conducted by the company. https://www.guideline.com/blog/profit-sharing-plans-the-nuts-and-bolts-of-a-great-benefit/

Since I am not employed by OD, I do not have direct knowledge of what method they are using. But I do know that it has to be uniform for all employees.

A couple OD drivers have stated that they have received approximately 13k for a single years profit sharing.

Please inquire with the company and provide the details. The 3.5% you say you received may just be what you contributed with the match and that number is then used with the profit sharing. If you would contribute more, like 13 %, than maybe that would be the amount you receive?

There are several ways, profit sharing can be conducted by the company. https://www.guideline.com/blog/profit-sharing-plans-the-nuts-and-bolts-of-a-great-benefit/

Since I am not employed by OD, I do not have direct knowledge of what method they are using. But I do know that it has to be uniform for all employees.

A couple OD drivers have stated that they have received approximately 13k for a single years profit sharing.

Please inquire with the company and provide the details. The 3.5% you say you received may just be what you contributed with the match and that number is then used with the profit sharing. If you would contribute more, like 13 %, than maybe that would be the amount you receive?
Oh you don't work here.

Last year OD profit sharing was 34416880. With 20k employees its average of 1700 each. Nowhere near 13k. My point is ODs 401k is not great. It is average.

Oh you don't work here.

Last year OD profit sharing was 34416880. With 20k employees its average of 1700 each. Nowhere near 13k. My point is ODs 401k is not great. It is average.
Most employees don't maximize their contributions, thus probably not taking advantage of the full profit sharing if it is determined on the amount you contribute. Please consult with OD further for more details. I am curious. You could be right. Would like to hear more details about 401k profit sharing for OD.

Last edited:
Most employees don't maximize their contributions, thus probably not taking advantage of the full profit sharing if it is determined on the amount you contribute. Please consult with OD further for more details. I am curious. You could be right. Would like to hear more details about 401k profit sharing for OD.
Discretionary Matching Contribution. The Employer may make a discretionary matching contribution equal to a uniform percentage or
dollar amount of your elective deferrals each Plan Year. Each year, the Employer will determine the formula for the discretionary matching
contribution.

Fixed Matching Contribution. The Employer will make a fixed matching contribution equal to 50% of your elective deferrals up to 6% of
your compensation each payroll period. The matching contribution will not be made on elective deferrals in excess of 6% of your
compensation each payroll period.

The nonelective contribution will be "allocated" or divided among participants eligible to share in the
contribution for the Plan Year.
Your share of the nonelective contribution is determined by the following fraction:
Nonelective Contribution X Your Compensation
Total Compensation of All
Participants Eligible to
For example: Suppose the nonelective contribution for the Plan Year is $20,000. Employee A's compensation for the Plan Year is
$25,000. The total compensation of all participants eligible to share, including Employee A, is $250,000. Employee A's share will be:
$20,000 X $25,000 or $2,000
$250,000

Go figure

Hm well Estes has like a 70 mile hiring radius. I guess that was on my mind with OD. Maybe its not like that with them. Running to NYC does not sound fun at all to be honest. I have plenty saved up to make the move but I was hoping another year would make it alot more comfortable.

Yeah I am happy with my time at Yellow. I wasn't making as much as I could have but I learned alot as a new driver in a pretty low stress environment, developed alot personally, and banked some money.
They both have good things, and both have their differences, it's ltl, it's never going to make sense, just depends on what color truck you want to drive, both good jobs, even yrc is a good job, especially if you are young, it can very easily turn around, and remember, the ltl business is always hiring, :shit:z,move to arkensawz and go work with abf,definitely no nyc, best of luck in whatever you choose my friend,

What's going on guys.

First post on these boards... Didn't realize there was an LTL forum.

Anyway I am currently an LTL linehaul driver with Yellow out of New Jersey. Been with them for 3 years 10 months and I was with Swift for 5 months to start my trucking career. I have a clean MVR. Yellow has been great to me...it was a pretty relaxed and low-stress environment so it was an amazing opportunity to learn by experience but I am pretty set on changing companies in the coming months (I figure around late feburary would be good, as I think its easier to learn a new system in warmer weather).

There are several different reasons I am thinking of changing companies.

1. Better pay (obviously). I think last year I grossed just over 80k. I figure I could be doing better.
2. I am a single guy with no kids so I dont really need Union insurance and would be fine with what OD and Estes offers
3. I want to eventually move out of NJ (to probably Vegas, Texas, or Phoenix). This would save me $5k in State income tax and lower my cost of living. If I want to relocate with Yellow I'd lose my seniority/vacation/etc, while with OD or ESTES with their transfer policy I would be able to roll over seniority if I am not mistaken.
4. I don't really mind being an extraboard driver at this stage in my life

There are several guys on Youtube that post alot of content about Estes so I feel like I have a reasonable idea about their system. There isn't alot of content out there about OD though so I had some questions.
1. I am very unclear about how this "On-Call" system works at OD and I wonder whether it would be a positive or a negative thing in my life. How does this system work exactly?
2. Also most of the job descriptions for OD says that most linehaul drivers are home every day. Is this correct?
3. How many miles a week do you think I could get working as an on-call guy on the East Coast?
4. Job listings says 5 days a week. Can you work an optional 6th day?
5. Do you work the dock at OD?
6. What is the 401k match at OD? also, do you get employee discount for MLB tickets? lol
7. Lastly what's the cpm progression?
In the old days, ODFL refused to consider union guys for hire because ODFL management is paranoid about unions.

That may be different nowadays.

In the old days, ODFL refused to consider union guys for hire because ODFL management is paranoid about unions.

That may be different nowadays.
I've heard that, in the past. I've only been here for right over a year, and rememnber, in Orientation, how they kept saying 'a NON-UNION company'...however, some things seemed to be ran like a Union. ie first year vacation was by hours worked, you got so many hours off.

on the topic of Profit Sharing, what month is it that they put that into your 401K? Also, how long before you will start to see it? I've been here since Nov 2020, so guessing I should get it next year(2022), or would I have received it this year?