Expedited Shipping

Wigglez

TB Lurker
Credits
I started a business and am working as an independent contractor for an expedited shipping company.

I drive a covered pickup truck, and figured it cost me about .30/mile to run it. Based on that figure, and how many empty miles I'm driving, I realized I'm not making any money.

It's a pretty good gig otherwise. No logs, no scales, no dealing with DOT's, imo, messed up new hours of service regs.

Maybe I'm just working for the wrong company.

Was hoping somebody may have some experience and insight about this type of work. Something I may be missing. Maybe a better company to sign on with.

Worked 14 hours today between that and another job I have.

you could try FedEx Custom Critical, but i am not certain they just hire off the street for that, or if you need to be employed by them doing other deliveries first, to prove yourself.

then there is Panther, but frankly, i haven't heard too many good things about them

getting back to FedEx, you can sign up for FedEx Ground, as a contractor, but you may have to lease one of their trucks, now from this, they may work you into FedEx Custom Critical.

There are many times local delivery service(s), at least in my area, they are very often known as "courier services", and also, many are medical deliveries, in which you can use your own vehicle.

if you can get to the airport in your area, scope out the different delivery trucks going in and out of there, for possible sources of work.

Thanks, watching the airport is a good idea.

I heard of Panther also, but haven't heard good things about them either.

Whenever I see a Custom Critical truck, it's a straight truck with a sleeper on it, and I believe they fall into CDL range? I can't obtain my CDL anymore, for health issues. Even though my doctor cleared me for full duty, it doesn't matter. The government somehow knows more about my health than my doctor does.

I thought Fedex Ground you had to buy your route, or be employed by a company that owns them. I looked into that a bit maybe a year or so ago, and I found routes that sold for six figures. Pure craziness.

The company I contract for is one of the local delivery service in the area. I've done a few medical runs, and we also drive out of town

Thanks, watching the airport is a good idea.

I heard of Panther also, but haven't heard good things about them either.

i was not sure if you wanted to go with a sleeper truck, and also, i am not sure if Panther even has a small truck division, as all i ever see are sleeper straight trucks as well, very rarely do i see a Panther tractor-trailer.

Whenever I see a Custom Critical truck, it's a straight truck with a sleeper on it, and I believe they fall into CDL range?

well, no, i actually DO SEE vans, you know, the vans that would haul up to 15 passengers..?? of course, it would be all opened space, no seats in the back...no CDL for that...also, they do have the "step vans" which do not have air brakes, so again, no CDL required (step vans for the regular routes, not custom critical).

I can't obtain my CDL anymore, for health issues. Even though my doctor cleared me for full duty, it doesn't matter. The government somehow knows more about my health than my doctor does.
do what an athlete will do....go to another doctor....one that does strictly DOT exams, which soon enough, we will have to go to doctors/clinics, that the staff is DOT approved. my doctor WILL NOT go thru the nonsense of getting DOT certified.

I thought Fedex Ground you had to buy your route, or be employed by a company that owns them. I looked into that a bit maybe a year or so ago, and I found routes that sold for six figures. Pure craziness.
yes, that is correct, and i forgot that, my bad. i have seen routes for sale as well in the Craig's List ads, and yes, the prices are insane, but the again....maybe they are high grossing routes..??

you could obtain a route thru a contractor, then maybe buy it off of him/her..?? (just a thought)

The company I contract for is one of the local delivery service in the area. I've done a few medical runs, and we also drive out of town

we have here a company, that a person picks up medical waste. how much that pay's i do not know. there is also a company here that specializes in picking up the DOT drug screen kits.

as i "see it" the smaller segment of delivery services can be a "niche" market, and since you already have a "hold on it", i think that with your current experience far out weighs the CDL A and B drivers, as you do not require the CDL, and also, your taxes for your truck are far lower than any for a class 7 or 8.

i wish you all the very best of luck, i am certain others will be here later to chime in.

one more thought, have you tried meat markets, poultry stores, or specialty food places, fish markets, local docks at the river/ocean front for sea food deliveries... as well...???

may require a type of refrigeration unit, but by golly, those can be roof mounted on the cap of your pick up. God knows the dozens of those i have seen

Last edited by a moderator:
i was not sure if you wanted to go with a sleeper truck, and also, i am not sure if Panther even has a small truck division, as all i ever see are sleeper straight trucks as well, very rarely do i see a Panther tractor-trailer.

When I looked at Panther, they did have a full size van type deal.

well, no, i actually DO SEE vans, you know, the vans that would haul up to 15 passengers..?? of course, it would be all opened space, no seats in the back...no CDL for that...also, they do have the "step vans" which do not have air brakes, so again, no CDL required (step vans for the regular routes, not custom critical).

Ah, so they at least use extended vans. Just haven't seen one myself. Thanks, I'll check them out.

do what an athlete will do....go to another doctor....one that does strictly DOT exams, which soon enough, we will have to go to doctors/clinics, that the staff is DOT approved. my doctor WILL NOT go thru the nonsense of getting DOT certified.

I'll look into that more. Not sure it will apply to this case though, as the DOT has specific rules for it regardless of what any doctor will say. That's a story for another day though.

wish you all the very best of luck, i am certain others will be here later to chime in.

one more thought, have you tried meat markets, poultry stores, or specialty food places, fish markets, local docks at the river/ocean front for sea food deliveries... as well...???

may require a type of refrigeration unit, but by golly, those can be roof mounted on the cap of your pick up. God knows the dozens of those i have seen

One of the other local delivery services has a refrigerated van.

Thanks for your advice, I'll check into the specialty food market, see what's available.

Not sure if this site qualifies for my particular needs but maybe something like it?

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Its a " reality " show on the A&E channel. Follows a handful of hot shoters that haul through a company called U Ship
Looks like mainly one time hauls from individuals not business

So you figure it costs you thirty cents a mile to run your pickup, what do you get paid per mile to run? It should at least be 3 times that. If not, you can't put money aside for repairs and equipment replacement, and draw a wage.

So at least ninety cents a mile, and seeing as how you are providing expedited service maybe even a buck twenty.

.70/mile plus fuel surcharge. I can't negotiate that high of a rate.

Local runs aren't very good due to all the stops. Only paid when wheels are turning. Of course because it's a local company. Out of town runs are followed by a long empty ride home

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

from a distance, she looks cute

close up.....oh my gawd......the wrinkles.....and according to a bio of her...she was a model..??

i guess she doesn't keep up with that "high maintenance" a model requires....

from a distance, she looks cute

close up.....oh my gawd......the wrinkles.....and according to a bio of her...she was a model..??

i guess she doesn't keep up with that "high maintenance" a model requires....

Gotta agree.......She is a bit of a butter face

Nice bod