XPO | FAC lays off,

Let me re-phrase, dock workers do the same job as drivers do on the dock but for less.

So which would you propose, cutting drivers pay while they're on the dock, or raising dockworkers pay even though they don't drive? Remember, drivers had to do a lot to qualify for that pay rate.

So which would you propose, cutting drivers pay while they're on the dock, or raising dockworkers pay even though they don't drive? Remember, drivers had to do a lot to qualify for that pay rate.

I propose that we go back to the way it was, everyone is a driver or is going through our driving school to become a driver, Period. No dockworkers, just drivers. Just like the new posters say that are popping up at my barn,"Back to Basics".

I propose that we go back to the way it was, everyone is a driver or is going through our driving school to become a driver, Period. No dockworkers, just drivers. Just like the new posters say that are popping up at my barn,"Back to Basics".

Well, you may just get what you want.

It's the company's decision not yours. If you think you know better, apply for the open position at XGO.

This is still an open forum the last time I checked. Just because someones point of view is different from yours does not make either one the right one. And just so you know, I do know better, that's why I DON"T apply for a position at XGO. I don't want to have to go in for the Lobotomy and buy the dummy-pills to bring me down to their level of intelligence thank you for your concern,.

Tim the Terminator (regional mgr in sw/mid Ohio)stopped by our terminal recently and somewhat agreed with the idea of getting rid of temp employees. Said the majority of XCN temps were let go. I don't remember the exact number but it was something like a reduction from 26 to 6.

Perhaps...just perhaps...

They are finally coming to the conclusion that using temp workers wasn't the best idea in the first place.

The company doesn't train the permanent workers on how to properly cube a trailer and I seriously doubt the temps recieved any training as well.

With the advent of the temps damages went up...this was in tandem with other factors as well...employee morale...too much emphasis on load factor as opposed to load quality...too much freight for the capacity the company had available.

If you will remember John L. appeared in a video saying the company was renegotiating pricing structures with their customers in attempt to rid themselves of unprofitable freight and reduce claim issues.

Additionally Juicy Brucey also appeared in a video announcing the advent of the dock workers...something they admitted had never been done prior. Brucey said that would allow drivers to do what they are paid to do...drive!

There is nothing wrong with dedicated dock workers...there is actually a need for them...their efforts help get drivers out earlier and back to their respective SCs on time so the customer's freight can be serviced in a timely manner.

The failure came when the company decided to hire temps as opposed to employing actual Con-Way employees...which they could more readily control...train and retain...and benefit from having peeps who actually have the knowledge of continuing employment for the most part as opposed to people who are there 'temporarily'...and what temp is not looking for a permanent gig?...using the temp service as just that...temporary.

Using a temp service is attractive for employers...for a flat fee they are essentially exempt from all the infrastructure normally required to support permanent employees...and when and if the need arises they reduce the need at will with little or no consequence to the bottom line...as per any contract obligations with the temp agency.

This is where they went wrong...now its back to basics...good idea!

Make the dock workers actual Con-Way employees.

Rat

But why should it be mandatory to have a CDL? Have a different rate of pay for non-CDL employees!

This is still an open forum the last time I checked. Just because someones point of view is different from yours does not make either one the right one. And just so you know, I do know better, that's why I DON"T apply for a position at XGO. I don't want to have to go in for the Lobotomy and buy the dummy-pills to bring me down to their level of intelligence thank you for your concern,.

You asked a question, I answered it. If the company wants full time dockworkers, we will have them. If not, we won't. My point of view is irrelevant, which is why you don't know it.

don't over-think the process. To hire a driver is a long, expensive process. It's common knowledge that the downsizing in November of 08 really caused a challenge to rebuild our driver ranks in 09. So, we are on the edge of the yearly slowdown within our company. Add the not-so-soon recovery of the economy and how do you adjust your manpower while retaining your drivers? Downsize by removing temps first, part-time dock second, full-time dock next and hopefully things stabilize and you do not economically terminate drivers. Drivers will be the primary dockworkers throughout the winter months. Spring arrives and freight levels ramp-up. Rehire dock workers as needed.

Then you should get paid less!! LOL!! J/K!

I've seen the same arguement for years, people doing same job but paid differently. Just like drivers in other areas are paid more than the southern part of Conway.

There is no easy answer and always two sides of the coin.

I only see maybe one snow storm a year.. LOL How 'bout a blinding rain storm?

Last edited by a moderator:
Back in the early days, we had a driver/dock worker for each set. Now we're loading vans, so either we make the DSR's do more loading, or we use dock workers. (It would be nice if we didn't use sub service, but that a'int gonna happen.)