ODFL | FAQ's

You're welcome.Running extra you might be doing BOTH laydowns(motel stay needed,OD pays)and turn runs,(return to terminal)all a part of the extra board.A large terminal such as HAR chances are you will call in as your 10 hour break expires or dispatch will call you(normally according to seniority list)as runs come available,a word of advice here, never turn anything down(like a short haul) if you have hours,dont chance annoying dispatch plus there's no guarantees something better is gonna happen later.You can always extend your trip from the first destination.

I am interested in possibly joining OD in Atlanta. I applied at NGA this summer. Went through the whole process, including drug test and physical. Heck, they even took my picture for the employee id! Didn't hear anything for a couple of weeks and finally called. Was informed that they decided not to hire anyone. I would really be interested in running linehaul out of Atlanta. Does anyone know how long the extra board drivers are kept from home out of Atlanta? Is extra board primarily nights? Do they call you when they need you or do you call them? Can you expect to work every day? Can you expect to get any time off on the weekend? I'm in the city with Con-way right now and am really hoping to make a change. I appreciate the help!

I am interested in possibly joining OD in Atlanta. I applied at NGA this summer. Went through the whole process, including drug test and physical. Heck, they even took my picture for the employee id! Didn't hear anything for a couple of weeks and finally called. Was informed that they decided not to hire anyone. I would really be interested in running linehaul out of Atlanta. Does anyone know how long the extra board drivers are kept from home out of Atlanta? Is extra board primarily nights? Do they call you when they need you or do you call them? Can you expect to work every day? Can you expect to get any time off on the weekend? I'm in the city with Con-way right now and am really hoping to make a change. I appreciate the help!

Was wondering if I could get some help with these questions? Mr. Moderator?? Anyone? Thanks!:)

Well im not out of ATL but I'll try to answer some of your questions,I used to run through there when I ran wild.First,the extra board is gonna run primarily at night(unless your subbing a day run)although a few years ago I was able to run on completion of my 10 hr break regardless of the time of day.As for being dispatched thats handled a couple of different ways,after your breaks over your first call should be to the IVR(automated dispatch system)you'll enter your employee# and if dispatch has done its job and assigned you with trailers it will tell you,even though I have a bid run I still check the IVR before I come in to the terminal to find out the status of my trailers,if there's nothing posted on the IVR than you'd call ATL dispatch to find out whats going on,they might not have posted you on the IVR because there may been more than a few choices of destinations,I dont think dispatch calls you too often unless they have something hot,or they have'nt heard from you,OD seldom forces anyone to do anything if you dont want to work weekends they probaly wont make you,although thats when the bottom of the board makes its money so if you dont run the weekend dont expect a lot of sympathy if you dont get a full weeks work.I wish you luck OD's a good place to work(although NGA oughta get its act together)we have some members out of ATL hopefully the'll hop in and fill in with the local skinny.

If I had any thought about changing jobs I would for sure do it before all those troops getting cut hit the job lines.

Thank you Daylight Dean. I'm looking at Decatur, IL for a linehaul position. Does that position strictly drive, or meet at a terminal and work the dock? Or do you hit the road for a week and drive around the system? I drove for Yellow 95-01 linehaul. Ritz crackers Mmmmmmmm Good!

Any info on OD's plans with your new Crest Hill, IL(Joliet) acquisition? Dates? Are you moving your Chicago linehaul op there, or expanding? Do you think they'll be hiring out of there, or giving Chicago linehaul first crack at it? Love those ritz crackers Mmmmmmm Good!

Hi Cardnal,I'm not domiciled at DEC but we have very few linehaul/dock runs(apply@ConWay or FedEx for those!)DEC sits in between several class1 terminals and breakbulks(CHI,DES,STL,andIND)so most line runs would be running back and forth to them,also many terminals have what we charmingly call running wild(although they seem to be phasing these out)where you pack a bag and go see the world,about Joliet,I dont know what line options will be available(if any).

You od drivers are real helpful with the info. I am looking at x-board linehaul positions at either Chicago(Forest View) or Indy? What can be expected there? Is your system similar to Estes'? Can you stay out in the system and run out of hours and re-charge on road if you choose? Is there a requirement to live a certain distance to a terminal? Thanks!

X board linehaul position at Chicago or Indy what can be expected? Can a driver stay out in the system until he's out of hours and re-charge on road. Is your system similar to Estes'? Is there a requirement that you live close to a terminal? Thanks

There's still some system(we call them wild)runs where a driver can do that,but OD has the past couple of years reduced the number of wild runs in favor of scheduled runs,and not all terminals allow their drivers to stay away that long(they want to make sure their stuff gets moved)as far as how close You'd have to live to your domicled terminal that would be up to the T/Ms descretion and common sense,part of being on the x-board is covering vacations,illnesses,etc.the last thing You'd want to do is commute 100mi then cover someones 600mi run then drive back home 5 days in a row.I take it you live somewhere near Chicago,we have quite a few terminals in the area; Chicago,Des Plaines,LaSalle,Joliet,Rockford(?),Decatur,Milwaukee,and South Bend In all within or around 100mi of Chicago,so a long commute wouldnt probably be necessary.

Hello. I received a call from OD today and have been offered employment. The person I spoke with asked me if I wanted p&d or Linehaul. I said I didn't care I'd work either. They said Linehaul and that they would eventually like me to do p&d. My question is will I be working 40 plus hours a week and what's the starting pay ? Thanks for any and all info.

Thanks Daylite Dean! I filled out an application at your Chicago terminal Thursday. They said they would review it and that they are hiring. Ritz crackers MmmmmmmmGood!

Hello. I received a call from OD today and have been offered employment. The person I spoke with asked me if I wanted p&d or Linehaul. I said I didn't care I'd work either. They said Linehaul and that they would eventually like me to do p&d. My question is will I be working 40 plus hours a week and what's the starting pay ? Thanks for any and all info.
Welcome to our forum!Pay in linehaul is by mileage,starting pay wil be somewhere around 45 cents per mile,chances are you'll be working more than 40hrs a week(federal regs.permit up to 70 hrs weekly)we average around 2400-3300 mi a week in my neck of the woods,depending on what bid you ,we dont have any extra board drivers here,that is at my terminal(larger barns,of course have extra boards)

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, all. Just a couple of quick questions. I'm in class right now to get my CDL and I live near the Rock Island, IL terminal. So, first, since it's a smaller place (looks like 30-ish doors from satellite maps) do they have line-haul jobs or is it P&D only? Second, I see on the site that they require 12 mos. experience or graduation from an approved training source. Is there a way to find out if my school is one of those sources? Thanks in advance.

Hi Go Hawks,Rock Island has line and P&D drivers,the best thing to do is go talk to the service center manager,even if he does'nt know about your school he can find out,Best of luck!!

Hi, Dean. I really appreciate the quick reply! I'm glad to hear that they have line-haul runs, as that's what I'd prefer over a city route. I will get in contact with service center manager this week. Thanks for the help!