Fed Ex ground double vs. fire engine

What do you mean National TV again?

Why don't you guys try slowing it down a bit.

Some of those FEd EX drivers are dangerous at times, I know. they pass me every day

Sorry Rocky I did not know that was you in the brown Ford Pinto .

250pxfordpintoki2.jpg

What do you mean National TV again?

Why don't you guys try slowing it down a bit.

Some of those FEd EX drivers are dangerous at times, I know. they pass me every day

I don't know that they are any more dangerous than any other carrier. They just seem to be good at having accidents where there is already an accident with cameras rolling.

Fed Ex Freight over the winter, now Ground....
I guess the National guys will be looking for the next opportunity for free advertising.:biglaugh:

Fortunately....or at least it appears fortunate that no one was hurt or killed

It's unfortunate that Fed Ex is in a negative spotlight again. The bigger picture would be to look at the HOS regulations and maybe start a movement to roll them back to the previous regs that were in place. It seems that a lot of companies are having a problem with more accidents than they were before these regs went into effect. Unfortunatley, the companies were the ones that pushed for the extra hour of driving per day, all the while when we were telling them it would lead to fatigued drivers on the road. That plus calling drivers on 8 for 10, 14 hour days without being able to stretch the day with "off duty time" breaks during the course of the day, but what do we know???? We only do this every day.:hide:

I'm not sure what happened in the accident so I'm not at all pointing fingers here, but I'd like to point out an observation that I've noticed a lot more of lately unfortunately. It seems that people (not just truck drivers, but all drivers) are just not slowing down in the presence of emergency vehicles. Recently I've almost been run over while slowing down approaching an accident scene. Flashing lights just don't seem to slow people down anymore...they don't have time I guess. Anyways this is a disturbing trend.

This is a clear case of not being totally focused on what your doing.
In the smith system we UPS Freight safety trainers train our co-workers with.
It has many safe guards.
Stay back from the pack.
When your back aways you can get the big picture,of whats up ahead.
Alwayus expect the unexpected,don't take anything forgranted.
Keep your eyes moving 2 seconds front,left to center,to the right side,and back.
If your aways looking around you won't get in that zone of staring out the windshield where you could even doze off while your zipping down the highway.

UPS has their share of wreaks because its such a huge company.
But by following the smith system that we teach your a lot safer,and not apt to get yourself into a jam.

It has many safe guards.
Stay back from the pack.
Keep your eyes moving 2 seconds front,left to center,to the right side,and back.
If your aways looking around you won't get in that zone of staring out the windshield where you could even doze off while your zipping down the highway.

But by following the smith system that we teach your a lot safer,and not apt to get yourself into a jam.

well mr ups safety we at fed-ex are not a small mom ans pop operation either accidents dp happen thats why they call them accidents how may thousounds of trucks on the road everyday things happen

It has many safe guards.
Stay back from the pack.

Apo,

The Smith System in a nutshell

All Good Kids Like Milk

Aim high in steering.
Get the Big Picture.
Keep your eyes moving.
Leave yourself an out.
Make sure they see you.

It's unfortunate that Fed Ex is in a negative spotlight again. The bigger picture would be to look at the HOV regulations and maybe start a movement to roll them back to the previous regs that were in place. It seems that a lot of companies are having a problem with more accidents than they were before these regs went into effect. Unfortunatley, the companies were the ones that pushed for the extra hour of driving per day, all the while when we were telling them it would lead to fatigued drivers on the road. That plus calling drivers on 8 for 10, 14 hour days without being able to stretch the day with "off duty time" breaks during the course of the day, but what do we know???? We only do this every day.:hide:

Animo916 :1036316054:

I had to read quite a ways before I figured out that you were talking about HOS and not High Occupancy Vehicle lanes HOV.
The 11 hour driving rule would not have been the problem in this case. But since these FedEx Ground guys drive sleeper teams and they force you to drive/sleep 10 hours straight instead of the old 5 on 5 off sleeper rule.

:smilie_132:

It's unfortunate that Fed Ex is in a negative spotlight again. The bigger picture would be to look at the HOV regulations and maybe start a movement to roll them back to the previous regs that were in place. It seems that a lot of companies are having a problem with more accidents than they were before these regs went into effect. Unfortunatley, the companies were the ones that pushed for the extra hour of driving per day, all the while when we were telling them it would lead to fatigued drivers on the road. That plus calling drivers on 8 for 10, 14 hour days without being able to stretch the day with "off duty time" breaks during the course of the day, but what do we know???? We only do this every day.:hide:
Well if you said it was due to the new HOS it must be a fact. What the HELL made you even write that???????

Well if you said it was due to the new HOS it must be a fact. What the HELL made you even write that???????

If you look at statistics since the new HOS rules went into effect, you will notice a rise in truck accidents throughout most of the industry. I didn't write it as a fact, but merely an educated observation. When safety is jeapordized in the name of productivity, the companies will usually end up paying for it one way or the other. Were you aware of the fact that one single accident with fatalities will cost a company on average about $3.4million.

river17 said:
Probably someone that thinks he makes enough money driving just ten hours, and does not like the "flexibility" of driving 11 hours to be more productive.

Under the old rules, you were able to go "top line" for breaks and lunch periods, thus effectively lengthening your day. Not any more. Every minute you take for coffee, pit stops, meals, etc, counts toward your total hours for the day. I remember when I was able to do that and actually be able to drop another satelite terminal during the course of the day, but no longer due to the 14 total hour rule. Top lining actually made us more productive by keeping more hours available each day. Every body talks about faster trucks to go more miles, to make more money. Personally, I'm glad our trucks only do 62-65mph at best. The faster you go, the less time you have to react in an emergency. Plus, as mentioned, there is the fatigue factor. Many drivers, especially non union, for fear of retaliation from the bosses, or independent drivers will rarely admit when they are fatigued...some don't even realize it when they are. We are not supermen, we get tired. To deny this fact for the sake of making another $25 or $30 per day is rediculous.

Truth is, I gave up road work 7 years ago and I am quite content to do city work every day. Usually I put in a 10 - 12 hour day, I make my $65,000+ per year, and I am in my own bed every night.

Under the old rules, you were able to go "top line" for breaks and lunch periods, thus effectively lengthening your day. Not any more. Every minute you take for coffee, pit stops, meals, etc, counts toward your total hours for the day. I remember when I was able to do that and actually be able to drop another satelite terminal during the course of the day, but no longer due to the 14 total hour rule. Top lining actually made us more productive by keeping more hours available each day. Every body talks about faster trucks to go more miles, to make more money. Personally, I'm glad our trucks only do 62-65mph at best. The faster you go, the less time you have to react in an emergency. Plus, as mentioned, there is the fatigue factor. Many drivers, especially non union, for fear of retaliation from the bosses, or independent drivers will rarely admit when they are fatigued...some don't even realize it when they are. We are not supermen, we get tired. To deny this fact for the sake of making another $25 or $30 per day is rediculous.

Truth is, I gave up road work 7 years ago and I am quite content to do city work every day. Usually I put in a 10 - 12 hour day, I make my $65,000+ per year, and I am in my own bed every night.

I probably agree with most of what you mentioned.
The only two good parts of the new HOS rules is the 34 hours restart clock and the 10 hours off-duty/sleeper time before driving again. Maybe if you sleep in the truck, 8 hours might be enough. But for us that do layover runs the old 8 hours, meant that you only slept 5 hours before starting again. Usually it took 1 hour to get picked up to go to the motel, plus eating something and watching a little TV. And then you get a 2 hour call before going to work. Now with the 10 hour break, you get at least 7 hours of sleep.
Where I don't agree with the new HOS is the rules for sleeper teams. Many years ago when I used to run sleeper team, I used to run 5 on 5 off. I could not sleep or drive more than 5 hours knowing that I had somebody in the sleeper that I could change with.

If you look at statistics since the new HOS rules went into effect, you will notice a rise in truck accidents throughout most of the industry. I didn't write it as a fact, but merely an educated observation. When safety is jeapordized in the name of productivity, the companies will usually end up paying for it one way or the other. Were you aware of the fact that one single accident with fatalities will cost a company on average about $3.4million.

My run everyday is 544 miles in a 55 mph area. It takes me 10.5 hours to drive that plus any work time I have hooking triples, getting repairs done or for that matter chaining. With the exception of the chaining I have no problem driving 10.5 hours and the 14 hour rule really has little or no effect on me or anyone else who runs that route. Even if I do get tired I can always park and go to bed, even if I am not at my destination. Every one else has the same option, no matter who they work for. If you know someone who is being forced to work even though he is fatigued, give him the phone number of a good labor attorney. Then he won't have to work any more.

An additional thing to think about is the likelyhood of the rise in accidents being inexperienced steering wheel holders and not fatigue. I really have a problem with anyone who compains about the 14 hour rule. Log it legal, drive it legal, work it legal. If you get tired pull over and sleep. How hard is that? Yes it may hurt your schedule, but you won't make your appointment time if you are upside down in a ditch anyway. Newbie wheel holders have always and will always push harder the they should. I know of only few accidents at my company over the last 17 years that were attributed to fatigue. All of those were before the new HOS. For us I guess the new HOS statisticly safer. Just remember statistics lie and liars use statistics. Be careful who you quote, they may have rigged the statistics to show what they want them to show.

I probably agree with most of what you mentioned.
The only two good parts of the new HOS rules is the 34 hours restart clock and the 10 hours off-duty/sleeper time before driving again. Maybe if you sleep in the truck, 8 hours might be enough. But for us that do layover runs the old 8 hours, meant that you only slept 5 hours before starting again. Usually it took 1 hour to get picked up to go to the motel, plus eating something and watching a little TV. And then you get a 2 hour call before going to work. Now with the 10 hour break, you get at least 7 hours of sleep.
Where I don't agree with the new HOS is the rules for sleeper teams. Many years ago when I used to run sleeper team, I used to run 5 on 5 off. I could not sleep or drive more than 5 hours knowing that I had somebody in the sleeper that I could change with.

You guy's used to get turned on your 8? That's better than any LTL carrier that I've ever worked for. I might get turned on my 8 only on the weekends, but as far as the week days, it was 13 or more. (that's because the co's I worked for paid after 13 hours) If it wasn't for that, they would make us rott in the hotel.

I'm a sleeper team driver for a LTL company and while the 10 straight in the sleeper is enough sleep, it leaves no room for flexibility for close in runs. The runs less than 20 hours out. Someone usually drives more than the other. But I never NOT get enough sleep.

Well for all of you that think I'm Mr.Safety.
You know your right on,I'm a broken record with what I tell my co-workers all the time.
Do your best,and don't worry about the rest.
Be safe,if you don't think you can do something safe,don't do it at all.
We make our livings driving the big rigs.
If you keep your eyes open and looking all around you,focus on your suroundings.
Stay back and keep good space between you and the vehicle ahead.
the likelyhood of you having a preventable accident is greatly reduced.
If you think you know better and you do what you want,its just a matter of time,that you will get in a jam,you may regret the rest of your life.

Remember there are your loved ones who are depending on your income,and you being around for them.
Safety should always be the first thing,not the last thing on your mind.

Now this is good advice coming from a city driver who is working well into my 44th year.
I think I may now what I'm talking about.

Apostolic, That was a good post, Safety is so important, but it does not only apply to driving. Unfortunately over the past year I know of three drivers that were injured in forklift accidents, two of them are lucky to be alive and will suffer the consequences of a split second of poor judgment for the rest of their lives. Please drivers don't get complacent, forklifts are a valuable tool but they can take your life that quick. Please be careful.