FedEx Freight | fed x package and ups could be in big trouble in the future lot less package deliver

cellblock309

TB Regular
Credits
Amazon CEO Jeff Bezos had a big surprise for correspondent Charlie Rose this week. After their 60 Minutes interview, Bezos walked Rose into a mystery room at the Amazon offices and revealed a secret R&D project: “Octocopter” drones that will fly packages directly to your doorstep in 30 minutes.

It’s an audacious plan that Bezos says requires more safety testing and FAA approvals, but he estimates that delivery-by-drone, called Amazon “Prime Air,” will be available to customers in as soon as 4-5 years.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/amazon-unveils-futuristic-plan-delivery-by-drone/

COMMENT:
What do you think of Amazon Prime Air? Can Bezos bring his vision of octocopter package delivery to life-- and can he do it safely?

Last edited by a moderator:
Not everyone needs a product RIGHT NOW! I cant remember exact figures, but when I was at Express, an FFO (highest priority available) accounted for less than 1% of our daily volume.

2 and 3 day stuff was the vast majority.

Im not saying they cant, but its just not going to be cost effective for your average product.

Not to mention the legion of new laws that would be created having hundreds, if not thousands of "drones" flying into neighborhoods, ect.

Its chest thumping, nothing more.

i think its nothing but a publicity stunt to remiind people that amazon.com is still there. its no coincidence that they just happen to announce something this outrageous during the holiday shopping season.

So as slow as those toy helicopters fly, to deliver in 30 to 45 minutes means a very small market area around their warehouses or they're going to adopt our model and build too many facilities, too close together.

This was all done just to get their name in the news and it worked! If wrong, grab your fishing nets and get it before it lands!