FedEx Freight | Fedex Announces Expansion Of Fedex Freight Direct

"The new e-commerce solution offers delivery of bulky items such as furniture, TVs and exercise equipment by FedEx Freight team members into residences and businesses."

We were told that these things specifically were not in the plans.

ABF did that for a couple years. Glad we don't anymore, setting up bedset, putting together treadmills, setting up tv's, lawn furniture,etc. Having to take out the old mattress was the worst part.

"The new e-commerce solution offers delivery of bulky items such as furniture, TVs and exercise equipment by FedEx Freight team members into residences and businesses."

Not sure why they would tell you that we already deliver said items to homes. The meeting I was in they told us they were working out a deal with ikea so we could deliver for them. The biggest thing I’m worried about is when someone orders flooring and they want it inside.

On a positive note we can start handing off our residential deliveries to the special trained freight direct drivers and quit attempting in 48 ft vans.
Funny how they are looking at that box like it has a bomb in it.

No training, no tools and no utilities. I'll be damned if I'll be thrown into this like every other moronic idea.
I wonder if that box is full of all the damaged captive beams that are being removed. I would count that as a moronic idea also.

Why do we care? Is this really the moneymaker the Smith brothers think it can be?

Will this stuff move across our docks the same way?

How will it change the day to day operations of a hub? An EOL?

There have been quite a few changes in leadership since we were first told that. It seems to me, the mega shippers of these items want an all inclusive deal in order to sign on, AND current decision makers are uncomfortable saying no. Speculation? Yes, but based on facts.

No training, no tools and no utilities. I'll be damned if I'll be thrown into this like every other moronic idea.
BUT they say:
The expanded service draws on decades of FedEx experience to ensure reliability for customers. The FedEx Freight Direct delivery equipment, including trucks, were designed with significant input from FedEx Freight drivers specifically to operate in limited-access areas like residential neighborhoods. Team members who conduct these deliveries have undergone extensive training to provide exceptional customer service at these destinations.

https://about.van.fedex.com/newsroom/fedex-announces-expansion-of-fedex-freight-direct/

The biggest thing I’m worried about is when someone orders flooring and they want it inside.

• Standard: Currently available to over 80% of the contiguous U.S. population through 173 service centers using the FedEx Freight Priority LTL network, Standard offers delivery into the first room of convenience in a residence or business. This includes a two-hour delivery window and the ability for customers to select delivery times and receive proactive notifications.
  • Premium: Includes the same features as Standard along with delivery to room of choice and optional packaging removal. Premium deliveries will be conducted by two FedEx Freight team members to ensure safety and quality service.
  • Basic: To the door service, currently offered as Residential delivery.
Also, worth mentioning: PRICING. You'll be able to take your time, safely hand trucking a few boxes per trip.

FedEx Freight Direct Premium - $175.00 per shipment
https://www.fedex.com/en-us/shipping/freight-services/freight-direct-rates.html

Why do we care? Is this really the moneymaker the Smith brothers think it can be?

Will this stuff move across our docks the same way?

How will it change the day to day operations of a hub? An EOL?
sure it's a moneymaker
right now the goal is 14 bills, 14k lbs.( if that has gone up I'm not aware)
with direct you have smaller items so you can do 40 or 50 bills on a trailer at 12 k lbs
more bills, less weight, less fuel consumption and wear and tear on the equipment and yes it will be cross docked at the hub and loaded out at destination centers.
ON PAPER this is a brilliant idea.
one you get into drivers that are paid less and having to enter peoples homes.......that's where the problems will begin and they will happen, we all know this
so form your own opinion and watch the fireworks. and oh bye the way I was told that the computer system this direct is on is a disaster
just my half a cent

• Standard: Currently available to over 80% of the contiguous U.S. population through 173 service centers using the FedEx Freight Priority LTL network, Standard offers delivery into the first room of convenience in a residence or business. This includes a two-hour delivery window and the ability for customers to select delivery times and receive proactive notifications.
  • Premium: Includes the same features as Standard along with delivery to room of choice and optional packaging removal. Premium deliveries will be conducted by two FedEx Freight team members to ensure safety and quality service.
  • Basic: To the door service, currently offered as Residential delivery.
Also, worth mentioning: PRICING. You'll be able to take your time, safely hand trucking a few boxes per trip.

FedEx Freight Direct Premium - $175.00 per shipment
https://www.fedex.com/en-us/shipping/freight-services/freight-direct-rates.html
I doubt, Ikea or Amazon will pay $175 to set up a bed or deliver a refrigerator.