FedEx Freight | Fedex Announces Expansion Of Fedex Freight Direct

I doubt, Ikea or Amazon will pay $175 to set up a bed or deliver a refrigerator.

Maybe since Amazon is horning in on our business, we’re going to become the next online Furniture/ Electronics retailer?!?!?

Buy your next Sleep Number at FedExFurnitureDirect.com and remember all FedEx Pride members receive free 2 day shipping and setup!

That is the biggest thing you're worried about? Flooring?
Tha faq?

You obviously never dragged a skid of hard wood flooring up someone's driveway

:smiliewhs: When you're trying to pull a skid that is 2K-3K up the slightest incline its basically impossible without help, add that to most flooring loads are not on standard pallets so most of them are either almost to big for the liftgate or way oversized. Then rinse and repeat because its rare if someone orders enough for 1 skid.

You obviously never dragged a skid of hard wood flooring up someone's driveway
I've done it plenty of times, which is why I'm wondering what the issue is, since Fx has been doing that all along. Not like they just announced that flooring will be newly on the menu.

But again, ya'll are completely missing the model.
Direct will be handeling mostly household items. Furniture, TVs, Exercise equipment, and so on. Which YOU will NOT be delivering since you are a FxF driver, and NOT a Direct driver.

Last edited:
I've done it plenty of times, which is why I'm wondering what the issue is, since Fx has been doing that all along. Not like they just announced that flooring will be newly on the menu.

Direct will be handeling mostly household items. Furniture, TVs, Exercise equipment, and so on. Which YOU will NOT be delivering since you are a FxF driver, and NOT a Direct driver.

We got it the first 2 times you said it rain man.

Having another class of driver or company might be down the line but if what you say is true then why did I sit through training to deliver direct shipments? Why do I go out in a box truck with an extra handheld that says direct on it while working with a different system than the current handheld?

Having another class of driver or company might be down the line but if what you say is true then why did I sit through training to deliver direct shipments? Why do I go out in a box truck with an extra handheld that says direct on it while working with a different system than the current handheld?
I also said, that initially FxF drivers will be doing the rollout, as as Direct becomes more developed , Dedicated Direct drivers will assume the role.

• Premium: Includes the same features as Standard along with delivery to room of choice and optional packaging removal. Premium deliveries will be conducted by two FedEx Freight team members to ensure safety and quality service.
The second team member’s primary function is to serve as a witness. I wouldn’t set foot in a customer’s home without a second set of company eyes. I don’t trust Susie Housecoat not to conjure up grievances because I wouldn’t drag her rarely to be used treadmill/clothes rack (if you’ve had one in your house, you know I’m right) from the 2nd floor to the basement because she changed her mind.

What about ghetto deliveries, maybe pre paid by the shipper, around tax refund time? Do I have the right to refuse to drive a high profile, easily recognized logo’d truck into Crackville to drag a 70 inch screen TV across a lawn into a shanty while constantly looking over my shoulders?

The second team member’s primary function is to serve as a witness. I wouldn’t set foot in a customer’s home without a second set of company eyes. I don’t trust Susie Housecoat not to conjure up grievances because I wouldn’t drag her rarely to be used treadmill/clothes rack (if you’ve had one in your house, you know I’m right) from the 2nd floor to the basement because she changed her mind.

What about ghetto deliveries, maybe pre paid by the shipper, around tax refund time? Do I have the right to refuse to drive a high profile, easily recognized logo’d truck into Crackville to drag a 70 inch screen TV across a lawn into a shanty while constantly looking over my shoulders?

Please tell your Rottweiler than I’m not edible.

Schneider shut down their last mile delivery operation after it saw $26 million in losses over two quarters.
But I'm sure they'll do better with ours, because they know how to make people happy. You know like they did with our "raise" and insurance....

That's not a real comparison. They specialize in different things.

FedEx has the infrastructure in place to make this work if they do it right. They're probably the only company that can make it work. They're self insured, have a recognizable brand and have hubs/terminals all over the country. If they have to use a ground or Express building to make it work, I'm sure they will. They also have that FedEx umbrella that gives them enough space to eat some losses.

That being said, I don't think it will be successful. Once those claims and lawsuits start rolling in. Claims over lawns, drywall and alleged misconduct. The same reasons they would be successful will be the same reasons it won't work. People see a logo and think lawsuit.

The other downfall will be that people are assholes. Nobody wants to deal with customers that complain nonstop. I'm not lugging a 300lb box to some stairs so you can open it and decide you don't want it. I'll probably get fired that day. After all the times I've seen warehouse guys flip out over minor things, I'm done with it. I can imagine the tantrum for something they paid for out of their pocket.

I agree and look forward to seeing the policy on this. I mentioned to the powers that be, long ago, many of the topics you bring up.

As for the second set of eyes, my understanding is that there will (or was to be) be video documentation of the path taken, prior to going to the room of choice. Can't say if that plan remains. :idunno:

That's not a real comparison. They specialize in different things.

FedEx has the infrastructure in place to make this work if they do it right. They're probably the only company that can make it work. They're self insured, have a recognizable brand and have hubs/terminals all over the country. If they have to use a ground or Express building to make it work, I'm sure they will. They also have that FedEx umbrella that gives them enough space to eat some losses.

That being said, I don't think it will be successful. Once those claims and lawsuits start rolling in. Claims over lawns, drywall and alleged misconduct. The same reasons they would be successful will be the same reasons it won't work. People see a logo and think lawsuit.

The other downfall will be that people are assholes. Nobody wants to deal with customers that complain nonstop. I'm not lugging a 300lb box to some stairs so you can open it and decide you don't want it. I'll probably get fired that day. After all the times I've seen warehouse guys flip out over minor things, I'm done with it. I can imagine the tantrum for something they paid for out of their pocket.
Worth mentioning, much of XPO's profit margin comes from these types of deliveries. SO, it can be done.

My questions go back to policy.

WHEN we have dedicated Class B drivers doing it, how will that effect seniority? Will they be exempt? Probably.

What about when/if general freight gets slow, but e-commerce is still booming? I suspect that many who scoff at the idea of residential deliveries will be the same ones expecting to be able to run those routes. $30/hour is better than sitting home. Also better than working the dock, IMHO. Especially with a "helper".

Worth mentioning, much of XPO's profit margin comes from these types of deliveries. SO, it can be done.

My questions go back to policy.

WHEN we have dedicated Class B drivers doing it, how will that effect seniority? Will they be exempt? Probably.

What about when/if general freight gets slow, but e-commerce is still booming? I suspect that many who scoff at the idea of residential deliveries will be the same ones expecting to be able to run those routes. $30/hour is better than sitting home. Also better than working the dock, IMHO. Especially with a "helper".

I would absolutely expect to be able to bid on those routes if my seniority allowed for it. My guess is that as long as it's a subsidy of FedEx freight a CDL A would be required. They're not paying you if they can't use you is the trend.

Can’t be much worse than wheeling 40oz’ers all day in neighborhoods than specialize in 40oz’ers.