FedEx Freight | Fedex Corporate Bonus Structure

Like I replied to Joe, all I can say to you guys is it will get better as you move up the seniority board.

We all started at the bottom and we all went through it...when I was low man in the city I would come in late, maybe make a swap out or two, then hit the dock. When I transferred to the road it was a 91 mile shuttle run and pound the patio until winter where I found myself on the extra board lucky to work 1 or 2 nights a week...and that was 20-25 years ago. Freight comes and goes and some years are better than others but that’s the LTL business and it’s not going to change. I would suggest you stick it out but the choice is yours to make...

That's what I keep hearing, but things are changing now. I'm ok doing whatever work has to be done until I move up. I get that's its a long game and seniorty trumps all. We're losing freight to competitors moving into the area that are cheaper and don't damage freight. Nobody is held accountable. Everybody is friends outside of work and on Facebook and they all hang out. So, since they're friends, that guy can ignore that "do not stack" sticker and just put 700lbs of alternators on top of it. Take a pallet of something fragile and ram into the trailer because why open another one. It's the problem of the guy delivering it. Nobody seems to understand that this stuff belongs to somebody. There's a business depending on this freight and all they care about is high and tight and the weight of the trailer. There's no point if it all gets refused because it's damaged.

I'll get kicked out because I'm not buddies with supervisor while the pt dock guy gets a full 6. The not buddy pt dock guys get kicked out after 3 hours.

Except to get punished by your management team , that's the way they play.
Retaliation
stems from the Latin retaliare, meaning “pay back in kind.”

I understand freight levels fluctuate and we're losing customers as cheaper options begin to move into the area. I'm ok not running if there's nothing to run. Here are my issues

1) I've never moved freight until it was time to clock out. Never an issue before, we would sweep, roll straps and put away boards and beams. From one day to the next that's not allowed. They should have made that clear during the bid, it would have changed some things.

2) I'm getting told to clock out while there are still part timers working. They say use your vacation time or PTO to cover the hours.

3) I get threatened with disciplinary action for refusing to leave.

4) They are hiring more city driver, driver apprentices and p/t dock. Why? We're not going hours now. I've asked every supervisor this question and nobody can answer it. I guess the job openings created and posted themselves.
Again, call the alert line. State the above case, word for word. Perhaps eliminate#1, but do focus on #2-4. Those are the actionable items, IMHO.

Do that and you'll get a response. If others are equally affected, encourage them to do so as well. It adds credibility.

Personally, I wouldn't choose to remain anonymous (on this one) but you can, if you prefer.

Again, call the alert line. State the above case, word for word. Perhaps eliminate#1, but do focus on #2-4. Those are the actionable items, IMHO.

Do that and you'll get a response. If others are equally affected, encourage them to do so as well. It adds credibility.

Personally, I wouldn't choose to remain anonymous (on this one) but you can, if you prefer.

I'll be honest, I would be a little nervous to put my name on a complaint.

Anonymous ? Only in theory.
Nope , your TM will still have it out for you.
Trust me , been there , done that , still lasted longer than he wanted , lol...

I've gone to the TM with these complaints. He says he doesn't know why they're hiring. Everything else is "we're working on it".

I also asked if freight levels were projected to go up. He answered " I hope so".

Last edited:
That's what I keep hearing, but things are changing now. I'm ok doing whatever work has to be done until I move up. I get that's its a long game and seniorty trumps all. We're losing freight to competitors moving into the area that are cheaper and don't damage freight. Nobody is held accountable. Everybody is friends outside of work and on Facebook and they all hang out. So, since they're friends, that guy can ignore that "do not stack" sticker and just put 700lbs of alternators on top of it. Take a pallet of something fragile and ram into the trailer because why open another one. It's the problem of the guy delivering it. Nobody seems to understand that this stuff belongs to somebody. There's a business depending on this freight and all they care about is high and tight and the weight of the trailer. There's no point if it all gets refused because it's damaged.

I'll get kicked out because I'm not buddies with supervisor while the pt dock guy gets a full 6. The not buddy pt dock guys get kicked out after 3 hours.
I’m sure someone will correct me if I’m wrong but I’m almost positive if there’s no driving work but dock work is available, the driver has precedence over supplemental dock workers. Regardless of who’s friends with who, I’d definitely contact ER, RDA, RVP, the Alert Line, anybody who’ll fix the problem...and I also agree with Swamp, I’d definitely give my name.

I’m sure someone will correct me if I’m wrong but I’m almost positive if there’s no driving work but dock work is available, the driver has precedence over supplemental dock workers. Regardless of who’s friends with who, I’d definitely contact ER, RDA, RVP, the Alert Line, anybody who’ll fix the problem...and I also agree with Swamp, I’d definitely give my name.

That's what we're (bottom CDSA) are saying. Do you know if that's in writing anywhere on the intranet?

That's what we're (bottom CDSA) are saying. Do you know if that's in writing anywhere on the intranet?
I've not found it (yet) in written policy, but it has been stated by every one, from H/R, all the way to the RVP level. Numerous times over the years. It's pretty much common sense. Nothing personal, but... Would you rather replace a driver or a freight handler? Part time or or otherwise, the answer should be the same.

This entire situation stems from a good solid worker not wanting to make waves, or put a target on their back. Everyone gets that, but this is business. Ignorance of a Manager can, and should, be corrected through education. If it's not ignorance, but rather total disregard of Company directives, that too needs corrected. The expectation of fairness and integrity goes both ways. It sounds like you (and others) are getting the short end of that stick. I've seen city drivers get paid (for lost time), when they were told there was no work, but in fact there was work.

Not sure how many ways I can say this. Do nothing, and nothing will change. There is a process for the Company to make it right, but they have to know about it. The hotline / Alert line guarantees they know about it, and insures they document what was done to correct it.

I'm a believer in using the chain of command. Attempt to rectify locally 1st. You've done that, with disappointing/unreasonable results. You are well within your rights to take the next step, and voice your concern. I wouldn't suggest that, if I'd not used the process myself, too many times to recall. Typically with positive results.

When you make the call, they will ask if you fear retaliation. Tell them the truth. If you choose to remain anonymous, let them know why. You'll still get an official reply (via a unique case number), with a number to call your H/R person, if you need further assistance. They will also reiterate the ZERO tolerance policy for retaliation.

This is where there is actually a benefit to giving your name. It provides some degree of protection from retaliation. Not saying you get a pass on anything, but it can prevent any punitive punishment. If you document everything, you can win any such head butting contest. A perfect example is to use the handheld device for communication, whenever possible. Avoid phone calls. Messages provide permanent record, as well as an above board conversation.

You did mention, you were thinking about leaving, over this. So (keeping the proper perspective), you actually have little or nothing to lose. Call or use the internet method 24/7.

Sorry for the long reply, but I think it's important enough for everyone to know. It also applies to almost any topic of substance. And I promise, you are NOT the only one dealing with this.

:smilie93c peelout:

I've not found it (yet) in written policy, but it has been stated by every one, from H/R, all the way to the RVP level. Numerous times over the years. It's pretty much common sense. Nothing personal, but... Would you rather replace a driver or a freight handler? Part time or or otherwise, the answer should be the same.

This entire situation stems from a good solid worker not wanting to make waves, or put a target on their back. Everyone gets that, but this is business. Ignorance of a Manager can, and should, be corrected through education. If it's not ignorance, but rather total disregard of Company directives, that too needs corrected. The expectation of fairness and integrity goes both ways. It sounds like you (and others) are getting the short end of that stick. I've seen city drivers get paid (for lost time), when they were told there was no work, but in fact there was work.

Not sure how many ways I can say this. Do nothing, and nothing will change. There is a process for the Company to make it right, but they have to know about it. The hotline / Alert line guarantees they know about it, and insures they document what was done to correct it.

I'm a believer in using the chain of command. Attempt to rectify locally 1st. You've done that, with disappointing/unreasonable results. You are well within your rights to take the next step, and voice your concern. I wouldn't suggest that, if I'd not used the process myself, too many times to recall. Typically with positive results.

When you make the call, they will ask if you fear retaliation. Tell them the truth. If you choose to remain anonymous, let them know why. You'll still get an official reply (via a unique case number), with a number to call your H/R person, if you need further assistance. They will also reiterate the ZERO tolerance policy for retaliation.

This is where there is actually a benefit to giving your name. It provides some degree of protection from retaliation. Not saying you get a pass on anything, but it can prevent any punitive punishment. If you document everything, you can win any such head butting contest. A perfect example is to use the handheld device for communication, whenever possible. Avoid phone calls. Messages provide permanent record, as well as an above board conversation.

You did mention, you were thinking about leaving, over this. So (keeping the proper perspective), you actually have little or nothing to lose. Call or use the internet method 24/7.

Sorry for the long reply, but I think it's important enough for everyone to know. It also applies to almost any topic of substance. And I promise, you are NOT the only one dealing with this.

:smilie93c peelout:

I appreciate the long response, thank you for taking the time to write it. I will take advantage of the alert line and make the issues known.

I like FedEx, I think it's a great company. Its not perfect, but a perfect company is nonexistent. My issues are more barn related and not company related.

I want to stay and take the steps necessary to see changes happen, but it's hard when my take home every week is 525-575. That's why I'm considering leaving.

I've spoken to numerous staff members here that bounce around from facility to facility. They all say they've never seen anything like the way this barn is run. Ops managers don't leave the offices, the TM never sets foot on the dock and they are all oblivious to what's happening here.

Do you know if that's in writing anywhere on the intranet?
This from the Policy on Part Timers. Not yet found it's application to full time dock.

Y1JrPme.jpg