Yellow | Fedex crushing YRCW-plan backfires

Irishman107

TB Lurker
Credits
FedEx’s 3Q Income Improves

FedEx Corp. said Thursday its fiscal third-quarter profit and revenue increased from a year ago, citing an improving global economy.

Net income rose to $239 million, or 76 cents per share, from $97 million, or 31 cents, a year ago.

Revenue for the quarter ended Feb. 28 rose 7% to $8.7 billion, the company said in a statement.

Despite the improvement, less-than-truckload unit FedEx Freight’s operating loss widened to $107 million, from an operating loss of $59 million a year ago, though revenue rose 14% to $1.04 billion
http://www.ttnews.com/articles/base..._medium=newsletter&utm_campaign=newslette

THEIR PLAN WAS SHORT TERM LOSS FOR LONG TERM GAIN.....THESE PRICE WARS AHVE WEAKENED ALL CARRIERS..SURVIVORS OF THIS YEAR WILL SHOW WHO'S GOT GAME

sum ting wong >:(..1st quarter not over yet. 3rd quarter last year?

Look at the profits of the parent company in these economic times. They can afford to do this because in the long term they will gain from all the market share they are adding right now. Is YRC hiring drivers right now? Fed Ex is.

[quote author=RocketManCVE link=topic=78397.msg814194#msg814194 date=1268959354]
Look at the profits of the parent company in these economic times. They can afford to do this because in the long term they will gain from all the market share they are adding right now. Is YRC hiring drivers right now? Fed Ex is.
[/quote]
AM-AI642_FEDEX_G_20100318132703.jpg
[size=14pt]FedEx is making millions on air cargo..they could take a hit on the freight division and so can Conway even tho they are losing money on big discounted freight. YRC cannot even keep staffing levels let alone hire drivers in a down market[/size]

[quote author=thejoe link=topic=78397.msg814169#msg814169 date=1268951523]
sum ting wong >:(..1st quarter not over yet. 3rd quarter last year?
[/quote]

There quarter ended in feb..they do strange things over there..If you look up UPS's last quarterly,you will also see that the freight division was losing money..So it is not just YRC they basically are all losing money with a few exceptions..

[quote author=thejoe link=topic=78397.msg814198#msg814198 date=1268960090]
[quote author=RocketManCVE link=topic=78397.msg814194#msg814194 date=1268959354]
[/quote]
AM-AI642_FEDEX_G_20100318132703.jpg
[size=14pt]FedEx is making millions on air cargo..they could take a hit on the freight division and so can Conway even tho they are losing money on big discounted freight. YRC cannot even keep staffing levels let alone hire drivers in a down market[/size]
[/quote]Sure YRC can. It isn't their money that is being played with anyway. Besides, a lot of Fed Ex employees are looking to go union.

Didn't the terminal in Philadelphia for Fed Ex sign up with the Teamsters? I know you just started at Fed Ex, but there are problems I'm sure that are people are unaware of.

These people are just jealous they want to be like the BIG YRC.
They really want to lose $$$$ hire Zollars he can show them how to REALLY $$$$$$ ;D ;D :'(

[quote author=Italian Style link=topic=78397.msg814308#msg814308 date=1269005993]
Didn't the terminal in Philadelphia for Fed Ex sign up with the Teamsters? I know you just started at Fed Ex, but there are problems I'm sure that are people are unaware of.
[/quote]

Haven't heard that one. Lots of FedEx companies to choose from, though - Express, Freight, Ground, Custom Critical, Office, etc. Do you know which one, specifically?

oaf

[quote author=imovaherenow link=topic=78397.msg814165#msg814165 date=1268951266]
THEIR PLAN WAS SHORT TERM LOSS FOR LONG TERM GAIN.....THESE PRICE WARS AHVE WEAKENED ALL CARRIERS..SURVIVORS OF THIS YEAR WILL SHOW WHO'S GOT GAME
[/quote]
It's all about pressure...The best price in the short term will
pay off on the long term.
YRC's term or time left is how long? fedx knows as far as the
business and cash goes....YRC has nothing left.
The plan worked!
It only cost $107 million to grab and take the lead ltl market
share. That was fedx frt.'s loss last quarter......Cheap, easy
and simple. Not long term at all.
Who would have thought five years ago, Yellow & Roadway
would be together and then be on the brink of elimination.
fedx thinks it's already over.......So does everyone else.

Fedx has the game now......Sad!

If the economy does not increase drastically, there will be 2 major players in the shipping game... UPS AND FEDEX

When UPS and FEDEX decides to take a loss to gain market share everybody else loses market share and takes a helluva loss.... Nobody even knows when UPS (freight) is going to decide to become a major player, they are smart and have plenty of money and when they decide to attack and they decide to compete with FEDEX (freight) it's going to be a blood bath between the two and the losers will be those who are not part of either company...
Fedex nor UPS have to make a dime on LTL , all they have to do is wait until the weak fall and then they will pick up the pieces.In a robust LTL economy, most trucks are full, and service sells, in a slow / sluggush or weak economy price sells and you damn well better have the service as well.
The UPS'S and FEDEX's of the world can sit back and not make a dime while their other ops carry the water. I said it before, I will say it again, this was the PERFECT STORM for FEDEX and UPS

(This is just my opinion and do not reflect those of FEDEX OR UPS)

[quote author=Old AF link=topic=78397.msg814353#msg814353 date=1269020466]
[quote author=Italian Style link=topic=78397.msg814308#msg814308 date=1269005993]
[/quote]

Haven't heard that one. Lots of FedEx companies to choose from, though - Express, Freight, Ground, Custom Critical, Office, etc. Do you know which one, specifically?

oaf
[/quote]One of the Fed Ex drivers posted it to me, and don't listen to DS. He knows a lot about nothing, as usual.

[quote author=Tinmantex link=topic=78397.msg814425#msg814425 date=1269043902]
[quote author=imovaherenow link=topic=78397.msg814165#msg814165 date=1268951266]
[/quote]
It's all about pressure...The best price in the short term will
pay off on the long term.
YRC's term or time left is how long? fedx knows as far as the
business and cash goes....YRC has nothing left.

The plan worked!

It only cost $107 million to grab and take the lead ltl market
share. That was fedx frt.'s loss last quarter......Cheap, easy
and simple. Not long term at all.

Who would have thought five years ago, Yellow & Roadway
would be together and then be on the brink of elimination.
fedx thinks it's already over.......So does everyone else.

Fedx has the game now......Sad!
[/quote]

FedEx will likely take over as the largest ltl carrier at a cheap cost of a $100,007,000 loss..what business school did you go to? That is more then YRC lost in the 4th Q

The plan worked you say? YRC is still there and is likely to post a profit next quarter

FedEx freight is as unhealthy as the rest of the ltl carriers
but go ahead..you can speculate all you want if it makes you feel better. I wouldn't bet on it though

12 years ago Roadway was a big player, they owned
Roadway Express
Roadway Package Systems- now Fed Ex Ground
Viking motor freight
Coles
Central
Roberts Express
Roadway Global
Roadway Canada

The point is, you do not know the future, maybe Fedex will not tolerate a losing Company and just dump you. I hope not!

We have had alot of new expenses this last quarter since we have grew so much. I see new trucks and trailers rolling in everywhere. Not to mention all the new hires.

The Joe, You really can't compare our 3Q to your 4Q. Our 3Q ended Feb 28 which would be closer to your 1Q.

The Company's fiscal year begins on June 1 and ends on May 31. By quarter:

First Quarter Jun. 1- Aug. 31
Second Quarter Sep. 1- Nov. 30
Third Quarter Dec. 1- Feb. 28
Fourth Quarter Mar. 1- May 31