FedEx Freight | Fedex Direct

Sure they will make money at it... These companies know that most people do not have the patience,know how, or a way to get it to their home. And the big one! They can sit on their lazy butt on the couch and order it delivered,and set up,and record the whole event on Facebook so they can show everybody!

Not to be left out, Billy ordered a new zero turn equipped with a front end loader.

See, I don't believe this will make any money. Shippers will NEVER quote what it will cost for "white glove service" unless it's actually built into the price.

And carriers will never make any money unless they can put it on a Class B truck with a couple of $15hr workers to lug up and down stairs and install.

And I say that KNOWING they will run off all their CDL-A drivers if they even attempt to do this.
I don’t want the liability. Women will try to sue for accused harassment and homeowners will try to say we stole or damaged property.

Had a meeting this morning at my service center about a new pilot program that we are starting. It’s called Fedex Direct and it is all about residential delivery’s. Basically you will have a box truck but the customer will have 2 options for delivery they are calling it direct and direct premium. The direct is the same thing we do now like bringing the freight into the customers garage. Now the premium is full service where the driver will have to bring the freight into the house. They’re also going to have a helper with you on those not sure if it’s a dock worker or another driver. But there’s a whole list of things we have to bring now to those premium delivery’s.

1. Tyvek Suit
2. Pledge multi wipes
3. Safety glasses
4. Kick stops
5. Door jamb protector pads
6. LED work light
7. Tape measure
8. Dolly wheel booties
9. Gerber multi tool
10. Cordless vacuum
11. Paper floor protection roll
12. Yellow moving rubber bands
13. Shoe booties
14. Dude body wipes
15. Hand truck
16. Power assist pallet jack

They said that this isn’t even all of it and at the moment they are unsure if they want to offer a service where drivers then set up whatever the customer ordered after delivery or have a contractor do it. Also unsure if we will do stairs or not so it’s first floor only at the moment. There is a lot more to it though as this starts next week and they continue to add things to it.
Actually we covered a lot of this

First back in July 2017
http://www.truckingboards.com/bb/threads/significant-number-of-straight-trucks-coming-to-fxfe.81124/

Then we got confirmed details back in Feb:

Yes, we had the preshift on the new "residential" straight truck route. Singular, for now. Rental unit, until Peterbilt catches up with demand.

Fun facts: (as we were told)

Strictly residential deliveries & pickups.

Will be bid route(s)

Projected hours: 11-7:30

Not currently offering "white glove" type service here, at this time. But soon, yes, and will often be a 2 man job. Room of choice, 1 floor up or down.

Class B Drivers? Yes, at some point in the future. Yes, a lower pay grade, to be determined.

Stepping stone potential for Driver apprentices. Class B, 2 years, then move up to A.

Specialized Equipment: Fold down aluminum hand truck, narrow spec pallet jack, and tool kit, all assigned to the unit.

Rental unit has no ELD. Paper logs unless Corp. can be persuaded to exempt.

Last fun facts: We have volunteers for this route. Seniority will prevail. Also, seniority will NOT allow for Class A drivers to bump future class B drivers.

Seems we went from justifiable speculation, to confirmed facts, and (now) back to speculation.

It will be actually delivered by contract (non-Fx employee) drivers.

Shipment will hit the destination dock, and at that point the Subs will take possession, and make delivery.

Just a sign of the times, with Amazon and others starting to carry big ticket items like appliances. No biggie.

Considering that Fred Smith first shared the fact publicly, back in July 2017, we know that they have to have been working on it long before that. How long? Dallas, OK city, Tulsa, Atlanta drivers can shed partial light on that.

Point being, this is among the MOST deeply thought out programs, perhaps ever, in FedEx Freight history. They are not diving blindly into this arena. While FedEx is NOT going to leave the fastest growing segment unchallenged, they do seem to be proceeding cautiously, methodically, while learning everything possible on the topic. If you pay attention to who is responsible for the roll-out and the "pilot programs", as well as the structure changes within the Co. to make it happen, it think it's a safe bet that it will be as top-shelf as possible.

I was as skeptical, or more, than most anyone, when Fred first announced it. As we learn more, the reality is, the residential program & straight trucks are a huge benefit to most current drivers. Since we got our rental "test mule", and a dedicated (bid) residential route, I've not seen a single residential delivery. Not one. Also, some drivers WANT that bid.

And the white glove routes that some seem to fear? Most will likely (as No F-bdy Bs said) be contracted out, as high quality providers can be found/developed to properly represent the brand. When, where, and if FXFE drivers do it, they will have to be extensively trained on the process. We're talking about a specialized, premium service, taken more seriously than you can imagine, for all the same reasons cited as concerns in this thread.

I was as skeptical, or more, than most anyone, when Fred first announced it. As we learn more, the reality is, the residential program & straight trucks are a huge benefit to most current drivers. Since we got our rental "test mule", and a dedicated (bid) residential route, I've not seen a single residential delivery. Not one. Also, some drivers WANT that bid.

And the white glove routes that some seem to fear? Most will likely (as No F-bdy Bs said) be contracted out, as high quality providers can be found/developed to properly represent the brand. When, where, and if FXFE drivers do it, they will have to be extensively trained on the process. We're talking about a specialized, premium service, taken more seriously than you can imagine, for all the same reasons cited as concerns in this thread.
The only thing you forgot to mention Swamp, was that the contracted out,high quality providers,if used, will be paid substantially less than a FedEx Freight employee.....

The only thing you forgot to mention Swamp, was that the contracted out,high quality providers,if used, will be paid substantially less than a FedEx Freight employee.....

I hear Wong, is on the negotiating committee for the company.

I was as skeptical, or more, than most anyone, when Fred first announced it. Since we got our rental "test mule", and a dedicated (bid) residential route, I've not seen a single residential delivery. Not one. Also, some drivers WANT that bid.

And the white glove routes that some seem to fear? Most will likely be contracted out, as high quality providers can be found/developed to properly represent the brand. When, where, and if FXFE drivers do it, they will have to be extensively trained on the process. We're talking about a specialized, premium service, taken more seriously than you can imagine, for all the same reasons cited as concerns in this thread.

I think every test market may be trying this out different ways. We don’t have a dedicated bid on the box trucks, it’s whoever they feel like giving it to that day. We have two box trucks and we’re told that we’re getting another two trucks for this pilot program, and I still get residential delivery’s every week in 48 and 53 ft trailers.

For the contractors everyone is talking about it’s not a 100% go for my area, we the drivers are going to be doing the white glove service for now until they figure out if they want to use them or not. But I can only go by what they tell us. I hope the above things about class B drivers and contractors are true so I don’t have to worry about it.

see what happens when the inside delivery turns into THE DRIVER stole my rolodex off the kitchen counter or said driver uses the bathroom and doesn't flush

Fair enough, and you forgot to mention the lower qualifications for the (non hazmat-non tank) class B licensed guy/gal. :poke:

see what happens when the inside delivery turns into THE DRIVER stole my rolodex off the kitchen counter or said driver uses the bathroom and doesn't flush
Do explain!

Oh no! No way a company as large as Fx has thought of... .. LIABILITY!

Last I checked, about 50,000 companies enter/exit your home.
Phone, internet, Lowe's, ect..
When you make an appt with the DSL guy, you AGREE to give them access to your home, and waive a lot of liability.
Fx service will be no different.
You know, like Fx already does with INSIDE DELIVERY service?

I swear, some of you antiques are teleported here from the 1800s.
EVERY time a new concept is rolled out, the same fossils pipe up with how "It will NEVER WORK!"
Then, it does.
Touchscreens will NEVER work because....
Automatics in big rigs will NEVER work because....
A system that measures freight dimensions? BLACK MAGIC! Get that ::shit:: outta here!
Drivers doing their own exceptions..? Hogwash!

Unmanned fork lifts....
Unmanned..... Tractors?

The tip of your nose is about the distance of your foresight.

Last edited:
I think every test market may be trying this out different ways. We don’t have a dedicated bid on the box trucks, it’s whoever they feel like giving it to that day. We have two box trucks and we’re told that we’re getting another two trucks for this pilot program, and I still get residential delivery’s every week in 48 and 53 ft trailers.

For the contractors everyone is talking about it’s not a 100% go for my area, we the drivers are going to be doing the white glove service for now until they figure out if they want to use them or not. But I can only go by what they tell us. I hope the above things about class B drivers and contractors are true so I don’t have to worry about it.
I think the 4 actual pilot locations are each using different models, 3rd party vs Company. The majority of locations getting the residential trucks are not actual pilot locations. It's more a matter of better (SAFER) equipment for the typical existing residential tasks. The super premium white glove 2 man service is a different animal.

I think the inconsistency you speak of, from center to center, has more to do with center leadership following their directive (or not) to varying degrees. :idunno:

Great point! A 3rd party is unlikely to require a CDL, depending on their equip.
iiV4aTB.jpg

Do explain!

Oh no! No way a company as large as Fx has thought of... .. LIABILITY!

Last I checked, about 50,000 companies enter/exit your home.
Phone, internet, Lowe's, ect..
When you make an appt with the DSL guy, you AGREE to give them access to your home, and waive a lot of liability.
Fx service will be no different.
You know, like Fx already does with INSIDE DELIVERY service?

I swear, some of you antiques are teleported here from the 1800s.
EVERY time a new concept is rolled out, the same fossils pipe up with how "It will NEVER WORK!"
Then, it does.
Touchscreens will NEVER work because....
Automatics in big rigs will NEVER work because....
A system that measures freight dimensions? BLACK MAGIC! Get that :::shit::: outta here!
Drivers doing their own exceptions..? Hogwash!

Unmanned fork lifts....
Unmanned..... Tractors?

The tip of your nose is about the distance of your foresight.

Some value tradition. In life, in love, in thought and in their careers.

It seems that those who do are being supplanted by those like you.

Is it the simple battle of youth vs the aged, or is this something different?