FedEx Freight | Fedex Direct

I think some centers are different. I know at my center we bid start times not routes. They will try to keep you on the same route daily but if it becomes slow or they dont like someone you take what they give you.

True, most bid start times (not routes), but typically certain start times ARE associated with specific routes.

When the directive first came out, we were told it would be a bid - 11:00 start - with the target for these deliveries between 11 and 19:00, by appointment.

Again, as is typical, some managers do it their own way, counter to Corp. plans. This needs to be checked and balanced if they want this service to be successful. I would hope they don't discount the premium nature of the service, turning it into an afterthought.

When we first got a liftgate or two, it was used as a punish route, to some extent. That was a bad idea. One I remember well...

jZtet7V.jpg

True, most bid start times (not routes), but typically certain start times ARE associated with specific routes.

When the directive first came out, we were told it would be a bid - 11:00 start - with the target for these deliveries between 11 and 19:00, by appointment.

Again, as is typical, some managers do it their own way, counter to Corp. plans. This needs to be checked and balanced if they want this service to be successful. I would hope they don't discount the premium nature of the service, turning it into an afterthought.

When we first got a liftgate or two, it was used as a punish route, to some extent. That was a bad idea. One I remember well...

jZtet7V.jpg
Still say it’s a dumb idea. We’re not the Maytag repair guys. If I were forced on that crap I would weasel a meal out of the customer and milk that sumbitch allllll day long

I think some centers are different. I know at my center we bid start times not routes. They will try to keep you on the same route daily but if it becomes slow or they don't like someone you take what they give you.

Yep , that's the FDX game , if you speak up the management team starting from top down to **** ant dispatchers waiting for free food and sodas will punish you no matter how good of a driver you are. They love the the mindless and stupid....

That's the way it is in our barn.

Still say it’s a dumb idea. We’re not the Maytag repair guys. If I were forced on that crap I would weasel a meal out of the customer and milk that sumbitch allllll day long

Same here let the bottom feeder trucking companies handle those sucker deliveries. I'm pretty sure back when the big U drive was going fed ex was pumping their chest out about the type of freight city drivers delivered supposedly "easy freight". Ahhhh the good ole days lol.

Like I said I'm open to suggestions as long as you have candy , food of any kind , a pop , or buy me a beers at your cookout...

Spoke with one of our resi guys a few days ago. Recently they watched an edu video on the two services starting to roll out. They're getting electric pallet jacks, cust is going to have two del options in addition to the reg put it in the garage; first avail room, and the premium, ANY room inside the house. Including upstairs.

I inquired if they had to do assy. They MIGHT.

Spoke with one of our resi guys a few days ago. Recently they watched an edu video on the two services starting to roll out. They're getting electric pallet jacks, cust is going to have two del options in addition to the reg put it in the garage; first avail room, and the premium, ANY room inside the house. Including upstairs.

I inquired if they had to do assy. They MIGHT.

I'm not very handy... It'll run my whole clock putting together some of the stuff i deliver or see getting loaded. On the other hand, it would be nice to take a straight truck with a lift gate into a resi. 48 foot trailers have some difficult turns.

I'm not very handy... It'll run my whole clock putting together some of the stuff i deliver or see getting loaded. On the other hand, it would be nice to take a straight truck with a lift gate into a resi. 48 foot trailers have some difficult turns.
Dumbest dad gum crap I’ve ever heard. All for a few extra bucks. Sometimes I gotta wonder what butthead is making these choices for the company.

Eventually the drivers delivering these will have been hired specifically for the task.

As for WHY? "Heavy goods deliveries, now a $8.94 billion a year market" (a few extra dollars?)

https://www.freightwaves.com/news/at-home-delivery-world-heavy-goods-dominate

"By contrast, the last-mile delivery segment of such non-conveyable items as appliances, treadmills and building materials is relatively open, though newbies do have to deal with XPO Logistics, Inc. (NYSE:XPO), the acknowledged industry leader. Unlike the low-margin parcel space, heavy goods has fatter revenue and profit opportunities, mainly because the work is more labor intensive and challenging than just dropping off a package. Delivery firms can charge hundreds of dollars for delivering, setting up, installing and taking away large-format items. And its where the LTL and truckload carriers will converge to do battle.

FedEx and UPS don’t directly play in the heavy-goods space, though Foster said they’d like to and probably will. FedEx Freight, the company’s LTL arm, has plans to roll out a last-mile service for heavy goods in the coming months. Word is that UPS has similar plans on the drawing board. FedEx Chief Financial Officer Alan B. Graf Jr. said on the company’s most recent analyst call that the company loves big, heavy freight. That may be because FedEx, as well as its chief rival, can charge a fortune in both base rates and hefty accessorial charges."

Last edited:
Dumbest dad gum crap I’ve ever heard. All for a few extra bucks. Sometimes I gotta wonder what butthead is making these choices for the company.

You people are clueless, and are completely blind to the changing market. If LtL companies continue the tradtional method of delivering freight, they are a relic, and are about to be run over. The old way of bumping a dock, and watching while a forklift driver unloads 10 skids, while you watch will always be there, but there is far too much of a market to ignore to the tune of $11 BILLION within the next decade.
It's not for "a few extra bucks",
Like Fx is taking all of this on for an an extra $10 spot per delivery.

The new inside del will be a $100+ charge, and it only goes up from there. Within a decade, this new op co will be as big as FxF, mark my words.
You think Fx is undertaking all of this to lose money? ???

One B class driver doing 5 premium deliveries a day, with a few getting assembly will make Fx more money than a full pup of traditional deliveries

Last edited:
More facts: https://www.fedex.com/en-us/shipping/freight-services/direct-rates.html
Rates
Service - Surcharge Name - Surcharge Keyword - Surcharge Rate
Pickup at FedEx Service Center No Charge
FedEx Freight Direct Standard FFDS $100.00 per Shipment
FedEx Freight Direct Premium FFDP $175.00 per Shipment
FedEx Freight Direct Assembly FFDA $89.00 per Shipment, in addition to FedEx Freight Direct Premium (FFDP) surcharge

Size and Weight Limits
FedEx Freight Direct Standard
Maximum weight per piece: 150 lbs.*

Maximum length per piece: 108 inches

Maximum dimension per piece: 165 inches in length and girth combined

*For any FedEx Freight Direct Standard shipment that exceeds 150 lbs., the service selection will be upgraded to FedEx Freight Direct Premium with applicable charges to apply.

FedEx Freight Direct Premium**
Maximum weight per piece: 300 lbs.

** Shipments exceeding the above limits require written preapproval from Carrier before acceptance.

More facts: https://www.fedex.com/en-us/shipping/freight-services/direct-rates.html
Rates
Service - Surcharge Name
- Surcharge Keyword - Surcharge Rate
Pickup at FedEx Service Center No Charge
FedEx Freight Direct Standard FFDS $100.00 per Shipment
FedEx Freight Direct Premium FFDP $175.00 per Shipment
FedEx Freight Direct Assembly FFDA $89.00 per Shipment, in addition to FedEx Freight Direct Premium (FFDP) surcharge

Size and Weight Limits
FedEx Freight Direct Standard

Maximum weight per piece: 150 lbs.*

*For any FedEx Freight Direct Standard shipment that exceeds 150 lbs., the service selection will be upgraded to FedEx Freight Direct Premium with applicable charges to apply.

FedEx Freight Direct Premium**
Maximum weight per piece: 300 lbs.

** Shipments exceeding the above limits require written preapproval from Carrier before acceptance.
this has disaster written all over it. just ask dale davis

I was in the meeting for this service again this year and not much has changed except they came out with prices for service and the different levels. You still have 30+ items you have to carry with you on the truck to make these delivery’s but they’re mainly for the premium service. They did say we would be offering light assembly for certain items. I was told they have deals in the works with companies like ikea. But they would test to see how long certain items took the avg person to put together there’s a 30 min time limit. You also get a second person to help you with the premium delivery but if you only have 1 of those for the day they won’t send a person out with you all day you would have to meet them somewhere and pick them up do the del and bring them back to where you picked them up. And all three levels of del service will be on a separate network so you now have to use 2 different handhelds. They also mentioned that del windows are very strict and will be met. So with this other handheld when you enroute to said customer the system is supposed to send them a text, email, or give them a call with your eta. They can also see exactly where you are like you can with Uber.