FedEx Freight | Fedex Freight Canada...

I have suggested 5 weeks and an extra sick day after 20 in every company survey that we could comment. This company does not listen to me, maybe they will listen to us?

I have suggested 5 weeks and an extra sick day after 20 in every company survey that we could comment. This company does not listen to me, maybe they will listen to us?
I think this is a worthy cause. One that is possible, IF THERE IS CONSENSUS. The survey is a good place to suggest it, if we could all get on the same page. I don't think there are enough of us, currently on here, to make a large enough statement. But that should not deter us.

Perhaps a real social media campaign, to push one or two key items?

There is a benefit to the Company, with such an enhancement. MOST veterans I speak to, stay put (in part) for the vacation benefit. Spoke to a long term XPO driver with 7 weeks vacation. THAT keeps him from even considering leaving, until retirement. There is a reason FXF Canada added the week.

As a cost, it's very small percentage.

There are already terminals that get more than 4 personal days per year now... There are some in the Chicagoland area and some in the NE. It has a lot to do with state or local laws I think but nonetheless there are some that do get more....

I think this is a worthy cause. One that is possible, IF THERE IS CONSENSUS. The survey is a good place to suggest it, if we could all get on the same page. I don't think there are enough of us, currently on here, to make a large enough statement. But that should not deter us.

Perhaps a real social media campaign, to push one or two key items?

There is a benefit to the Company, with such an enhancement. MOST veterans I speak to, stay put (in part) for the vacation benefit. Spoke to a long term XPO driver with 7 weeks vacation. THAT keeps him from even considering leaving, until retirement. There is a reason FXF Canada added the week.

As a cost, it's very small percentage.
I would normally agree but (you knew it was coming) I think there are other factors at play that we’re not considering...

Correct me if I’m wrong (and I know CF will) but FXFC doesn’t employee any drivers, they’re all contractors...

Our friends from across the pond get 28 vac days a year...or 5 1/2 weeks...

Also, at centers such as CLT, we have a hard enough time covering for the four weeks we currently enjoy...by adding a 5th week (which I’m ok with btw), how many more drivers are going to be needed to cover the extra time off?? And remember, eventually even more drivers will be needed as more accumulate the 5th week...

Let’s also look at the money aspect...how many millions more per year would this cost the company and how would it effect our wage increases and bonuses??

I think we as drivers only see what’s “on the surface” while failing to see the unintended consequences lying deep beneath surface that would come along with such a decision....

Just a few more things to think about...

I would normally agree but (you knew it was coming) I think there are other factors at play that we’re not considering...

Correct me if I’m wrong (and I know CF will) but FXFC doesn’t employee any drivers, they’re all contractors...

Also, at centers such as CLT, we have a hard enough time covering for the four weeks we currently enjoy...by adding a 5th week (which I’m ok with btw), how many more drivers are going to be needed to cover the extra time off?? And remember, eventually even more drivers will be needed as more accumulate the 5th week...

Let’s also look at the money aspect...how many millions more per year would this cost the company and how would it effect our wage increases and bonuses??

I think we as drivers only see what’s “on the surface” while failing to see the unintended consequences lying deep beneath surface that would come along with such a decision....

All valid considerations, BUT... (You expected it)

Among the highest contributors to the driver shortage is older drivers leaving the industry for retirement, health concerns, lifestyle changes, other occupations, etc. With an industry average age of 55, the challenge is keeping these drivers on board, especially when they don't have to stay. Would we rather loose 20+ year drivers for an extra week per year, or for the full 52 weeks?

Everything has a cost/benefit component. It seems to me, some factors attract and retain younger (new) people. Other factors are at play in retaining older (long term) people. Enhanced vacation benefits could help retain some veterans.

I know when I leave, I'll be looking for insurance and an 8 hour/day gig. Part time, even. BUT, I'll have to give up 4 (or more?) weeks vacation to get it. THAT is a deterrent.

All valid considerations, BUT... (You expected it)

Among the highest contributors to the driver shortage is older drivers leaving the industry for retirement, health concerns, lifestyle changes, other occupations, etc. With an industry average age of 55, the challenge is keeping these drivers on board, especially when they don't have to stay. Would we rather loose 20+ year drivers for an extra week per year, or for the full 52 weeks?

Everything has a cost/benefit component. It seems to me, some factors attract and retain younger (new) people. Other factors are at play in retaining older (long term) people. Enhanced vacation benefits could help retain some veterans.

I know when I leave, I'll be looking for insurance and an 8 hour/day gig. Part time, even. BUT, I'll have to give up 4 (or more?) weeks vacation to get it. THAT is a deterrent.
Not disagreeing but....there’s several factors involved when considering the driver shortage. Older drivers leaving the industry means a shortage of younger drivers entering the industry and those entering usually don’t consider vacation time as a major attraction, most look at the dollar signs...the what can you offer me now.

Personally, with the direction the industry is headed considering technology, I don’t think there’s anything that will keep the older drivers in...most can’t wait to get out now!! Many feel they’ve already driven for 30-40 years now accident free and they see collision mitigation, the obscenely loud buzzers, cameras, etc as a distraction and deterrent rather than a positive...and I doubt another weeks vacation would persuade them into sticking around a few more years.

Perhaps a 5th week of vac could/would encourage those who have another 10 years or so into staying a little longer but seeing as how we don’t really have a driver retention problem, why would the company even offer such a benefit enhancement??

Again, not disagreeing, I would love a 5th week of vac but all signs point to there’s no reason for the company to offer such a benefit...they don’t have to...especially when we continue to show up to work everyday with our 4 weeks.

Not disagreeing but....there’s several factors involved when considering the driver shortage. Older drivers leaving the industry means a shortage of younger drivers entering the industry and those entering usually don’t consider vacation time as a major attraction, most look at the dollar signs...the what can you offer me now.

Personally, with the direction the industry is headed considering technology, I don’t think there’s anything that will keep the older drivers in...most can’t wait to get out now!! Many feel they’ve already driven for 30-40 years now accident free and they see collision mitigation, the obscenely loud buzzers, cameras, etc as a distraction and deterrent rather than a positive...and I doubt another weeks vacation would persuade them into sticking around a few more years.

Perhaps a 5th week of vac could/would encourage those who have another 10 years or so into staying a little longer but seeing as how we don’t really have a driver retention problem, why would the company even offer such a benefit enhancement??

Again, not disagreeing, I would love a 5th week of vac but all signs point to there’s no reason for the company to offer such a benefit...they don’t have to...especially when we continue to show up to work everyday with our 4 weeks.
Again, can't dispute any of that. I CAN say, there it a reason they raised it in Canada.. There is also a reason all other opp-cos have the 5th week.

Of course nothing is free. Things like that get added by reducing the wage increase, by whatever metric necessary, that year.

Last edited:

European countries have always been very generous with vacation time, sick days, etc. I think most of those countries have vacation mandated by law. Meanwhile, in the good ol’ US of A, we work our collective asses off, and our vacation time pales in comparison to Europe. As I’m sure most of us feel, ANY time away from work is pure paradise! No amount of vacation time accrued would keep me at a job that sucks on a daily basis. NO amount.

European countries have always been very generous with vacation time, sick days, etc. I think most of those countries have vacation mandated by law. Meanwhile, in the good ol’ US of A, we work our collective asses off, and our vacation time pales in comparison to Europe. As I’m sure most of us feel, ANY time away from work is pure paradise! No amount of vacation time accrued would keep me at a job that sucks on a daily basis. NO amount.
Yeah but who wants to live in Europe...or Canada for that matter (no offense CF) :hilarious:

Highway operations in Canada are contractors, city p&d are company.

Highway operations in Canada are contractors, city p&d are company.
Nope. All drivers, including hostlers, are contractors or employees of contractors.

FXFC only employs dock and office staff, same as Ground. They would see the benefit of the new vacation structure. Contractors do not get vacation time and are expected to ensure their run is covered should they or their drivers take time off.

It's a common misconception that the city ops are employees. I assure you, they are not. Reimer (YRC) works that way, though.