FedEx Freight | FedEx Freight customer dump shows LTL carriers in driver’s seat

Freightmaster1

TB Legend
Credits

usa network GIF by Suits

FedEx Freight salesman talking to a shipper?!
:19:

Last edited:
Well, here we are again! Parcel driven economics applied to one of the most unique systems in transportation. The old timers must be spinning in their Graves. Ltl shippers remember for 10 minutes that xyz transport got their most important shipment ever delivered intact and on time. But when it comes to this latest stunt, they have memories like elephants! They'll never forget it. And BTW they gave up great freight and kept the garbage, and no it doesn't pay. But all the dock workers can take turns fingerprinting it! These college geniuses never fail to amuse.

Yep. Still plenty of garbage getting destroyed on the dock at the hub. Sure a 18’ by 6” box that weighs 300 pounds will ship easily intact after being handled 4 times before it gets to its destination. The hub I run too has so many hazmat recoups they can’t keep on the the recoup barrels. They just shut the trailer door and call out a hazmat team. I’m sure that’s cheap. But no one cares about anything. Drivers, dock workers, supervisors. Just do enough to go home. No one cares about the end user (customer).

Having worked the dock at a hub for the last 3 days, for the first time in almost 40 years...what a sh*t show. How the hell do we turn a profit?
I walk on the dock occasionally and see dock workers ripping off cardboard Do Not Stack tents only too stack on them and mgmt turns a blind eye , Don’t suggest using load bars or decking it takes too long I was told really it’s faster to rip off taped on tent than to do the right thing. WTH

I've seen freight stacked on hazmat drums that weren't strapped. I see supervisors walk by it, look inside and keep walking. Everything gets stacked and damaged.

Everyone is expecting a huge bonus based on how much we've earned this period and the expectations of company profits. I ask, how much have been paid out in damages this period? They look at me like I'm speaking a different language or like FedEx doesn't pay out damage claims.

Worth knowing, FedEx (or any carrier) doesn't pay retail price for damages. The don't even pay wholesale. THE PAY A FRACTION, based on weight. Typically an embarrassing amount, unless customer declares a "high value" amount - noted at time of shipping. And of course pays for the extra coverage.

Not discounting your valid point, just pointing out the rest of the story. The sad part, for the customer..

Last edited:
Worth knowing, FedEx (or any carrier) doesn't pay retail price for damages. The don't even pay wholesale. THE PAY A FRACTION, based on weight. Typically an embarrassing amount, unless customer declares a "high value" amount - noted at time of shipping. And of course pays for the extra coverage.

Not discounting your valid point, just pointing out the rest of the story. The sad part, for the customer..
Or just deny the claim outright for bad packaging.

The freight charges, discounts, extra charges and claims were all created back when trucking was regulated. It was a system developed by the government, that's why it's a whacky system and nobody has changed it.

Freight class rates start at 50, and go as high as 400. The more expensive it is to repair,or replace commodities, the higher the class. Yes,discounts ,handed out by sales,cut the revenue, and in some cases, like used machinery there is a per pound release value, and unless a shipper has a special rate and claim structure, the carrier, can be held liable for the total replacement cost of the damaged freight, along with costs to return to the shipper,and the replacement shipment usually on a non revenue bill,or free astray.