FedEx Freight | Fedex Freight East

truckerwife1111

TB Lurker
Credits
Although I'm not a driver, I am the wife of a driver who works for Fedex East.
It has been my observation that since my hubby has been there, they have been pushing the DOT limit of 14 hrs. driving per day. He starts his day as a city driver and winds up on the Youngstown run every night. He doesn't get his daily schedule until the AM of work that day. They bring him in to start anywhere from 11am to 1pm and he doesn't get home til 2 or 3 am the next morning. He's almost had to get a room for the night due to driving passed the limit.

I'd really like to know if this is a standard practice for Fedex Freight. Is there anyone out there who has had this same experience with this company?
They're supposed to be an awesome company to work for, but I don't see how they can keep their drivers, as long as they proceed to work them to death!
Please reply and let me know of any similar treatment.
I'm greatful for him to have a job with the way the economy is...but I also miss my hubby and don't want to see him burn out from being over-worked!

truckerwife

Allot of it has to do with the CCM and how he runs the center along with how short handed that barn is.

I'll bet you like the money but it's hell on the family...

Sorry to say, this is the companies policy. Although I work for FXF in California, they are doing the same thing here. Your husband goes to work as a local driver on the clock. He will make pickups and deliveries until its time to return to the terminal. He might work on the dock until they need him to become a shuttle driver. At this time he punches off the clock, gets on the computer and becomes a shuttle driver. Now he's getting paid by the mile and for work preformed at another terminal. It's possible they can work him 12-14 hours a day and he will never receive any overtime. The system sucks, but it hasn't been challenged in the courts yet. TP

Thank you so much for your replies.
and thank you for allowing me to vent in your forum.
Yes...that's exactly how they work him California! The thing that really sucks is that the shuttle run is normally about an hours drive...but is currently under massive construction...so it takes him a heck of a lot longer than it should.
Someone should challenge the no over-time thing!! They have a rule here in Cleveland about no family members being allowed in the terminal...prob. the same with yours... and I have to say that the rule was probably implemented by the terminal manager and dispatch who were tired of getting chewed out by angry wives/significant others and crying children who wanted to know when they were gonna see their daddy!!!
Well....there's always the company picnic!! I look forward to meeting them!!! LOL!

Anytime you have a bee in your bonnet truckerwife, feel free to express yourself on this forum. That is what its for. You might not be a driver, but your certainly taking care of one. Our last company picnic out west was several years ago. It has become an endangered species. At our terminal relatives can wait for there employee in the drivers room if they choose to. I guess its up to the terminal manager. TP

Alot of you will probably agree with me but with this job you're either working your ass off or sitting at home....nothing in between...I've sit at home enough in the past so I'll take what I can get.

Like the others said......welcome to Fedex. All I can say is.... hang in there... where are you going to get the pay and benefits? We are trying to get on top, and the economy is starting to come around......... Timing is everything! or.......
just go somewhere else......LoL....like Pat Reed said..... :stir:
:hyper:

Like TP said let it all hang out , we have some of the best guys here on the FXF forum and they tell it like it is . Sorry to say the truth hurts and these guys will tell ya . I love them they are my :iamnotworthy: guys , only the best for SMOKESTACK . Once again thanks for being here with us and the Crew.

well ... you have to make a choice ... I have been running that hard for better than 17 years .... every day, every week, every year

It helps to have a really good wife like I have that puts up with it ...

When the kids were still at home we made it a point to have a sit down dinner at the table once a day ... My wife and I still do that .... daily

sometimes thats all you get :thumbsup:

TRuckerswife just be thankful he's working. Trucking aint a normal job it will all pay off in the future. I left last year cause I thought it was going nowhere and no I have been kicking myself for it. Fixing to start allllll over at National come Monday morning. :thumbsup:

Kind of makes you wonder how many people will stick around to retirement age. Burn 'em out fast enough, you pay less in benefits over the long run. Then you just go out and get another dixie cup driver. After all, us truckers are just a dime a dozen, aren't we?

You will not find many trucking jobs that pay like this one.
Remember, he could be over-the-road for .35 cpm and gone 4 weeks straight and home for 3 days.
Working 15 hour days and paid for 7.
Hostile 3am food warehouse deliveries.
Getting hollared at for idling the truck to keep cool in 100-degree sweltering south Florida heat.
Waiting behind 20 other sweaty drivers to take a shower down in Eagle Pass, TX.
Been there, done that.
Go to the breakroom and you will hear a non-stop bitchfest.
But you will never hear me complaining.
Because I know what a really bad trucking job is...

[quote author=Mike Varnco link=topic=79795.msg827463#msg827463 date=1273116883]
Remember, he could be over-the-road for .35 cpm and gone 4 weeks straight and home for 3 days.
Getting hollared at for idling the truck to keep cool in 100-degree sweltering south Florida heat.
Been there, done that.
[/quote]

So we shouldn't even try to do better by our people because others have it worse.

[quote author=truckerwife1111 link=topic=79795.msg826802#msg826802 date=1272930865]
Although I'm not a driver, I am the wife of a driver who works for Fedex East.
It has been my observation that since my hubby has been there, they have been pushing the DOT limit of 14 hrs. driving per day. He starts his day as a city driver and winds up on the Youngstown run every night. He doesn't get his daily schedule until the AM of work that day. They bring him in to start anywhere from 11am to 1pm and he doesn't get home til 2 or 3 am the next morning. He's almost had to get a room for the night due to driving passed the limit.

I'd really like to know if this is a standard practice for Fedex Freight. Is there anyone out there who has had this same experience with this company?
They're supposed to be an awesome company to work for, but I don't see how they can keep their drivers, as long as they proceed to work them to death!
Please reply and let me know of any similar treatment.
I'm greatful for him to have a job with the way the economy is...but I also miss my hubby and don't want to see him burn out from being over-worked!

truckerwife
[/quote]

Thats funny you say that when at Muskogee ok and I went back to the city, I would come in and work the city and @ 1800 it was off to OKC 137 miles one way, turn and come back @ 0200, then I got in trouble for complaining I was to tired, we had big wigs in and I couldn't be there till 1100, my boss made me come in @ 1000 and clock in, I told him it was illegal but he said do it or be gone, I clocked in, what are you gonna do, I almost walked out a dozen times, wish i would have, a transfer to Ft. Smith starved me out, good luck to your guy!!!

I won't leave foodservice till they take me out on a stretcher, which may not be to far from now...LOL, I hope not!! :biglaugh:

14 hour days are pretty common. After 22 years in LTL I had to go back to over the road driving, gone for 12 days. Did that for a year. Just started here at Fedex Freight. Nice to be home everyday. Plus the money is good and you don't have to live in a truck.

[quote author=Franklin link=topic=79795.msg827467#msg827467 date=1273117956]
Been there, done that.
[/quote]

So we shouldn't even try to do better by our people because others have it worse.
[/quote]

when all you look for is the bad parts of everything, you are never going to find out the good parts

[quote author=Jeff link=topic=79795.msg827502#msg827502 date=1273143758]
Been there, done that.
[/quote]

[/quote]

when all you look for is the bad parts of everything, you are never going to find out the good parts
[/quote]

Very true. What does that have to do with what I said?

[quote author=Barney link=topic=79795.msg827494#msg827494 date=1273140653]
14 hour days are pretty common. After 22 years in LTL I had to go back to over the road driving, gone for 12 days. Did that for a year. Just started here at Fedex Freight. Nice to be home everyday. Plus the money is good and you don't have to live in a truck.
[/quote]
what's your schedule been like Barney? when hired on are you full time or on call hoping for a 5 day work week? how much are you grossing a week? i hope you don't mind me asking, i'm about to take a shot at an opening near me.

[/quote]

How are you going to do better than this job?
You're paid for everything here.
Late freight? You're paid to wait.
Paid for breakdowns.
Paid for weather, traffic, etc.
Paid to sleep in a damn motel.
I mean, c'mon how bad is it?