FedEx Freight | Fedex Freight East

[quote author=Mike Varnco link=topic=79795.msg828095#msg828095 date=1273344809]
[quote author=Franklin link=topic=79795.msg827467#msg827467 date=1273117956]
So we shouldn't even try to do better by our people because others have it worse.
[/quote]

How are you going to do better than this job?
You're paid for everything here.
Late freight? You're paid to wait.
Paid for breakdowns.
Paid for weather, traffic, etc.
Paid to sleep in a damn motel.
I mean, c'mon how bad is it?
[/quote]
Well .... some real facts here

I'm not paid for everything ...here
On the late freight the only way I get paid is work the dock
I'm not paid extra for the weather ..I have to drive in the snow and wind and rain .. I only get paid for sitting if the road is shut down. Most of the time it is not.
I have never been paid to sleep in a motel, and back when we did laydown runs ...I bought my own food

How bad is it ... well I think its pretty good , but I have had to dig ditches, hang live turkeys in a turkey killing plant, .. and work 100 hours a week at 2 jobs to pay the bills .. before this job

But like Franklin is saying ... once I am getting paid for something ...don't try to take it away ...

[quote author=slackdragon link=topic=79795.msg828110#msg828110 date=1273350563]
On the late freight the only way I get paid is work the dock[/quote]

Oh my Lord...getting paid to work the dock...how horrible is that!

I'm not paid extra for the weather ..I have to drive in the snow and wind and rain .. I only get paid for sitting if the road is shut down. Most of the time it is not.
I have never been paid to sleep in a motel, and back when we did laydown runs ...I bought my own food

You get paid to chain.
No ::shit:: you don't get paid for driving in snow and rain...what kind of truckdriver are you?
Motel you get $20.00/hr for 8 hours.

How bad is it ... well I think its pretty good , but I have had to dig ditches, hang live turkeys in a turkey killing plant, .. and work 100 hours a week at 2 jobs to pay the bills .. before this job

But like Franklin is saying ... once I am getting paid for something ...don't try to take it away ...

******* bunch of whining bitches that's all I hear all day I'm tired of it.
If you don't like it, LEAVE!

Mike, if your shirt were any redder, well, I don't think it can be.

Everything is great at your desk in your warm office with your spreadsheets and absolutes.

I just can't take you seriously anymore.

25r1j7m.jpg

With all due respect Truckerwife, we most often do not get what we want, when we want it, nor how we want it. I really don't mean to come across as being rude, but this job has ALWAYS demanded a basic understanding of that, or we just don't make it. We all fight to get WHAT we want, but seldom enough do...so...we keep on truckin' hopin that tomorrow will be the kind of day we want. It's not easy, but it is required to stay in this profession from my experience. Some of us call it "paying your dues", some call it other things I'd best not repeat. Oh, by the way, most of the guys here have gone through what you're experiencing....and yes we hated it too at the time. Seniority should cure most of that sort of thing though.

Yeah, it's a tough industry. That's why I tell people with young families to find something else. I can't tell you how many of the people I know have divorced and how regretful a lot of my fellow drivers are for the missed time with their children.

If you're a workaholic, this is the industry for you. I understand the need to provide for your family. We all do. What chaps my ass are work rules that allow a manager to use a guy for 8 hours, then take him off the clock and use him for another 6 hours without paying overtime and eventually exhausting the driver.

I can guarantee you that we never had to pay dues like that when I was new. Never. We worked long days, don't get me wrong, but we were paid overtime and double time. We stayed in the job we preferred and were good and MOST EFFICIENT at.

What they have now are, for the most part, are people doing jobs they don't like, are pissed they have been forced to do them. The new guys, they don't know any better. That's why the rumor persists that they want to get rid of the old hands who are the most experienced and yes, the most expensive, and replace them with people that will obviously do whatever is asked of them because they are new and are cheaper to use. Eventually, it will be a crew of people that never knew trucking when it was a team effort and you felt a part of something. Instead, you take care of your little piece of the pie and not worry about anything or anyone else.

And to a lot of the people here seem to feel that the company can do no wrong and you just suck it up and put job first over family. And yes I understand the need to have a job to provide for your family. But there are companies out there that don’t treat their employees as a problem that has to be dealt with. They actually value different points of views and ideas that may not occur to a guy sitting behind a desk guessing what it’s like on the real front line.

Franklin ...thats a pretty good post

I'm glad you left room for me ... the workaholic ... and yes I have paid the price ...

Franklin, there's alot of truth in what you're saying. You give an accurate picture of things many road drivers face in the company. Like I said I'm not defending anybody in management or otherwise, but the picture you make is pretty much the same one anywhere in our industry. It seems to somewhat be the norm. Most drivers for any company feel overworked, underpaid, underappreciated, and so on and so forth. They all have their own problems and issues to deal with.

Those of us that were here when we first lost (real) road runs and forced to work the dock( East about a decade ago) still hold alot of bitterness over that...some will NEVER let it go... kind of what West is going through now. I wish it weren't like that, but EVERYTHING changes over time. One of these days things will probably turn back more to what most would like to see... more miles and less docks. Then, sometime after that it will shift again to something else. I guess what I'm getting at is...all the fussin an cussin in the world won't change what has happened...that's life.