FedEx Freight | FedEx Ground taking over half of center

Cookieman

TB Lurker
Credits
Ground is moving into our center next month. We have 86 doors in Lubbock Tx. and ground is going to use half of our doors for Christmas season. Just wondering if this is happening anywhere else.

Knew this $hit was coming.
Fx going to have to pull off some spectacular logistical gymnastics to survive this peak with it's reputation intact.

How does that work? Freight docks aren't built to move packages and everything in a ground trailer is loose boxes. Is dispatch sharing space with ground dispatchers or is freight dispatch now having to deal with ground?

This is a bad move. Waiting until the busiest time of the year to try and shake things up is a recipe for disaster.

I guess when you were doomed either way, might as well toss the Hail Mary.

How does that work? Freight docks aren't built to move packages and everything in a ground trailer is loose boxes. Is dispatch sharing space with ground dispatchers or is freight dispatch now having to deal with ground?

This is a bad move. Waiting until the busiest time of the year to try and shake things up is a recipe for disaster.

Have you noticed the newer ground trailers are regular pups, not belly trailers… they also start with a 4 instead of the usual 8 on there trailer ID number. You will be also surprised that most of grounds packages are pallet freight. There hauling dedicated Styhl Chainsaws, Tire Discounters etc.
Just saying we can be phased into each other easily. I for one don’t see a abundance of new equipment showing up anymore

It's easy to make work. Section off a portion of the dock, bring in a ton of Extendo Convobelts. Set them up, run the sort.
There's nothing special about a Ground facility. It's a warehouse, nothing more.
Same as FxF'd docks.

They can justify as always S69 .
You know better , I know you do .

I know they'll justify it, I just don't see it working.
Have you noticed the newer ground trailers are regular pups, not belly trailers… they also start with a 4 instead of the usual 8 on there trailer ID number. You will be also surprised that most of grounds packages are pallet freight. There hauling dedicated Styhl Chainsaws, Tire Discounters etc.
Just saying we can be phased into each other easily. I for one don’t see a abundance of new equipment showing up anymore

I have not noticed, but I'll be on the lookout because now I'm curious.
It's easy to make work. Section off a portion of the dock, bring in a ton of Extendo Convobelts. Set them up, run the sort.
There's nothing special about a Ground facility. It's a warehouse, nothing more.
Same as FxF'd docks.

Sure you can put up belts and run the sort, but where do you put the delivery trucks? How do they get loaded? How do you stop packages from disappearing? At ground employees go through security to make sure they didn't take anything. That doesn't exist at freight. People will take advantage of that especially during peak.

I also don't think there are many docks with that much room to spare in the building or in the yard, I know mine doesn't and the buildings I've shuttled to don't either. The bays are blown out and the yard is a traffic jam every night.

I'm curious to see how this plays out.

I hear a birdie singing that some distribution places essentially want the computer sorting.

Drag a belt into the trailer at the dock and toss everything onto it. No need for human workers.

I for one would believe there is a hell that has frozen over before something like that is working well. Any time a company decides to go all in with both hands on a toy that promises to be the Jubilee of all their troubles... it does not go well.

I am treating this winter as one of the worst ever in my lifetime. against two other winters that were bad. Im not sure of making it through this one without damage now.

I know they'll justify it, I just don't see it working.

I have not noticed, but I'll be on the lookout because now I'm curious.

Sure you can put up belts and run the sort, but where do you put the delivery trucks? How do they get loaded? How do you stop packages from disappearing? At ground employees go through security to make sure they didn't take anything. That doesn't exist at freight. People will take advantage of that especially during peak.

I also don't think there are many docks with that much room to spare in the building or in the yard, I know mine doesn't and the buildings I've shuttled to don't either. The bays are blown out and the yard is a traffic jam every night.

I'm curious to see how this plays out.
are you implying that truck drivers and or dock workers are "thieves"? hehehe

I hear a birdie singing that some distribution places essentially want the computer sorting.

Drag a belt into the trailer at the dock and toss everything onto it. No need for human workers.

I for one would believe there is a hell that has frozen over before something like that is working well. Any time a company decides to go all in with both hands on a toy that promises to be the Jubilee of all their troubles... it does not go well.

I am treating this winter as one of the worst ever in my lifetime. against two other winters that were bad. Im not sure of making it through this one without damage now.

Walmart does that. Put everything on the belt label facing up. They have people that watch the belt for labels facing the other way that flip them. Everything goes passed the eye that scans the barcode and moves it to the proper belt that extends into the trailer.

Walmart does that. Put everything on the belt label facing up. They have people that watch the belt for labels facing the other way that flip them. Everything goes passed the eye that scans the barcode and moves it to the proper belt that extends into the trailer.
Ground has similar in bigger hubs. You may still have a package handler in the trailer, but they're mostly trying to make sure the boxes are stacked to the top and moving the belt.

Ground is building a million+ s.f. sort only facility in Etna/Pataskala OH. The construction manager said FedEx is looking for more property north and south of Columbus to build at least 2 more sort only facilities.

Also, knowing Fedex, they'll probably tell the customers at the locations with Ground sharing Freight docks that they'll have to seperate the boxes by state or city on each pallet so when it gets to terminal they can load skids by state to a certain trailer. And not scan packages till it reaches a ground terminal