FedEx Freight | FedEx Reports Profit That Trails Estimates, Announces Job Cuts

Jeff

Looking for Trolls
Administrator
Super Administrator
Credits
Sept. 16 (Bloomberg) -- FedEx Corp., the second-largest U.S. package-shipping company, reported a first-quarter profit that trailed analysts’ estimates, and said it plans to eliminate 1,700 jobs.
FedEx said today it expects to close about 100 facilities as it combines its FedEx Freight and FedEx National LTL operations starting in January.
FedEx Reports Profit That Trails Estimates, Announces Job Cuts - BusinessWeek

In Jan 2011 I'll have 9 months with fed ex freight. Guess I'll be looking for something else to do when a national driver gets my job. This stinks and I don't like it!!

ya, i left that mess to come to this mess. what a joke. freight industry is screwed up big time. none of the companies have a clue. oh well, time to get out of freight altogether. words to live by," u want fries with that?".

I am using this to my advantage...if I am displaced I will get unemployment and go back to school to get a degree....I am a part time Linehaul office worker

They must have a reason to cut jobs having made a profit. Just not meeting analysts expectations doesn't make it. Hell, I haven't met my expections in years. They must expect the economy to not do good at all or even get alot worse!

Im in the same boat with only 2 months. I quit a decent job for a better one, or i thought so. This will be the 3rd LTL job in 2 years and i have been laid off all of them. I guess it is time to get out of the trucking field. Companies, CSA, and the like making it harder to do this kind of work.
In Jan 2011 I'll have 9 months with fed ex freight. Guess I'll be looking for something else to do when a national driver gets my job. This stinks and I don't like it!!

I learned real early in my career that you can NOT figure out what they are going to do at any trucking company.I guess they are laid off up to 11 years senority at YRC in atl?

Im in the same boat with only 2 months. I quit a decent job for a better one, or i thought so. This will be the 3rd LTL job in 2 years and i have been laid off all of them. I guess it is time to get out of the trucking field. Companies, CSA, and the like making it harder to do this kind of work.

Can you believe they just posted a city driver job today for a terminal in IL? They amaze me!!

The freight divisions lost $16 million last quarter. The freight segment was the only loser company wide again.

We started losing money about the same time they came in and made sweeping changes. The hub and spoke system may work well in other areas, or for express, but it DOES NOT WORK IN THE WEST. Drivers should drive, not spend their time on the dock. Hostlers should break and make sets, not drivers on limited time.

Having said that, it only makes sense to merge. It's easier on the customers and it's cheaper to have one driver at a stop instead of two. But, of course, the workers are going to suffer and their families will be in turmoil.

If you know anyone thinking of joining this industry in any capacity, do them a favor and tell them to run away quickly. It's going to get a lot uglier before it gets better and it won't get better until they stop trying to run a freight company with people that discount the employees and have no clue as to what the freight business entails.