FedEx Freight | FedEx to food service.

SmackyJack

TB Lurker
Credits
Call me crazy, but I’m considering a switch to food service. I’ve been rolling with FDF for 12 years. 7 years in the city, 5 on the road. I’m not a disgruntled employee, but looking for a new challenge. Working nights has taken a toll on my health. I’ve tried everything from intermittent fasting, keto, and exercise. My BP fluctuates from high to normal, and passing a DOT physical has become a stressful chore. Food Service is brutal and very physically challenging, but at this point, I need a radical change in my life. Being to comfortable can cause complacency. I need to get uncomfortable, and back to reality. FedEx has been great to me, and if I choose to leave, it will be the most agonizing career decision to have to make. Be good Y’all, and stay safe.

Nights is definitely rough on the body. I bid days recently and I'm already feeling better and my family life is also better. I was also contemplating to food service about a year ago, but decided not to because I was honest with myself. I don't want to work that hard.

I spoke to US Foods and Sysco. I was underwhelmed by what they offered. The signing bonus was paid out in increments and if I left before the year I had to pay it back. The health insurance is the same as ours and the 401K match sucks. That's when I absolutely decided to stay put.

Get as must information as you can before switching and I wish you the best of luck in whatever you decide to do.

If you're concerned about your health, why would you leave a cushy job with very little work for a physically demanding one? Wouldn't you be more likely to get hurt doing food service? If I were you I'd go back to the city or transfer to a hub that has day runs. I don't need a challenge, I just need a good paycheck. But that's me

Nights is definitely rough on the body. I bid days recently and I'm already feeling better and my family life is also better. I was also contemplating to food service about a year ago, but decided not to because I was honest with myself. I don't want to work that hard.

I spoke to US Foods and Sysco. I was underwhelmed by what they offered. The signing bonus was paid out in increments and if I left before the year I had to pay it back. The health insurance is the same as ours and the 401K match sucks. That's when I absolutely decided to stay put.

Get as must information as you can before switching and I wish you the best of luck in whatever you decide to do.
Don’t know where you’re located, but Gordon FS would be the only one to consider. Family owned and I know 20+ guys that I’ve worked with that love it.

Yea and unloading 20K of #10 can cases of chocolate , camel , buttercroch , ect all by hand in a cooler with a hand pallet jack (drivers are not allowed to use their electrics) then sorting and seging it so it all fits on the a-holes shelves , begging for them to bring them pallets and falling numerous times on wet dock plates while trying to pull a outrageously heavy skids up it . JAGS THAT'S WHAT THEY ARE . Many times 4 skids of spices could go on 30 skids and you would have no place to go with it , we will get to you driver , 3 hours latter . I am proud of this , it started with the usual check in argument , I went out out to the dock pulled off the first skid broke it down onto I think 7 skids and the guy smarted off to me so I took it all and put it back on my truck closed and locked the door , unlocked my dock lock and quickly got out to my truck and left . The fat puke ran out and stood in front of my truck and I told him I was being held against my will and was going to call 911 , I left with all their stuff and marked it as refused . Got punished from Knickers Dispatch for 2 weeks but got banned from US Foods for life . F-them .

Don’t know where you’re located, but Gordon FS would be the only one to consider. Family owned and I know 20+ guys that I’ve worked with that love it.
I hear Gordon is the best to work for. Mostly chain delivery, and key drops, with a $1,300 weekly guarantee.

Call me crazy, but I’m considering a switch to food service. I’ve been rolling with FDF for 12 years. 7 years in the city, 5 on the road. I’m not a disgruntled employee, but looking for a new challenge. Working nights has taken a toll on my health. I’ve tried everything from intermittent fasting, keto, and exercise. My BP fluctuates from high to normal, and passing a DOT physical has become a stressful chore. Food Service is brutal and very physically challenging, but at this point, I need a radical change in my life. Being to comfortable can cause complacency. I need to get uncomfortable, and back to reality. FedEx has been great to me, and if I choose to leave, it will be the most agonizing career decision to have to make. Be good Y’all, and stay safe.
Don’t do it driver! You will most certainly lose weight and gain muscle, but you will destroy your body. I delivered Coca-Cola in the mid 90’s, my back is crooked as a dog’s leg and I keep my chiropractor rich. I too, am a Road driver, I understand your struggle, but a job change isn’t the answer.

Don’t do it driver! You will most certainly lose weight and gain muscle, but you will destroy your body. I delivered Coca-Cola in the mid 90’s, my back is crooked as a dog’s leg and I keep my chiropractor rich. I too, am a Road driver, I understand your struggle, but a job change isn’t the answer.
Had twenty years with your competitor. Made a life, raised a family. Went to ltl Linehaul cuz the body said to. The no customer aspect is also a plus.